The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dracula Book Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I have this book test and realised very quickly this is not examinable (AFTER the effect has been performed), and it has big restrictions. Your presentation skills will have to be superior to keep the audiences suspicions down.

For starters, you can only allow the spectator to choose either the first or last word on any given page. And you must know which page the specy has chosen. You could achieve this by simply asking for the page number, or you could think up another method to not be so direct about finding the page number.

You require a decent memory. And for myself, after performing this, I have tested the examinability of this book with friends who insisted on inspecting it. Not a good result! within 10 seconds they were saying "Ahh, so that's how you did it." The most annoying words a magician will ever hear.

You can risk performing this more than once to the same spectators which could be successful. However there's a good chance you will get caught out. The magicians code states never to repeat a trick anyway.

The book is fully examinable before the effect, but afterwards, they will know what to look for. In fact, their instincts are usually right.

So if you are prepared to work with these restrictions, you have yourself a fairly decent book test which will work every time. I'd recommend that you have excellent presentation skills to hide these restrictions. For me, it sits inside my closet. I think I'll save for Mother of all booktests one day.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks - sad to hear that it let you down. Money spend up - ebay it . . .
Cards never lie
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
There's already a thread on this book test. Perhaps use the search function next time. Smile

Sounds like the prop is too advanced for you in terms of where you are with your audience management/performance skills. This is certainly not a prop for the beginner.

See Osterlind's recent DVD set to see how the book is used by a true artist.

I would perhaps stick to simpler self-working mentalism effects for now until you have mastered a more advanced mentalism technique. People shouldn't be examining the book after the performance if you have routined things properly.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hi Andi,

I am fully aware this is the case. As I noted, it would be good for someone with great presentation skills. I feel convicted when someone wants to examine something if I'm one-on-one with them, with a singled out effect. I know how to overcome this and that is by having a dynamically choreographed set.

I often like to test my effects on friends who I can trust will let me know their truthful thinking before I go using it elsewhere. However, I'm aware there are book tests which have less restrictions than this one. And that means you get what you pay for.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Tip: never use this as a stand alone effect... when have used it, it is part of a triple effect, and the book goes out of play before the final revelations... the triple punch usually gets people "WTF"ed and since you have 3 methods (maybe) going on, they all synergistically help obscure the methods....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Scott:

It appears that you have not been in magic very long. You're saying here that you don't have good spectator management skills, evidenced by doing this routine in a situation where your friends are going to want to examine the book.

Is it possible that you should accumulate more years' of experience before you write reviews on which others will base their purchase decisions?

Also, as Andi mentioned, there is already a three page review thread on this product:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
I love this book test and kill with it weekly. First off I do it as a closer with my table hopping. I make them believe that they could have choosen the first, middle of the page or last word. Simple When I start I ask them to just say first last or middle. Majority say first or last. Then I proceed with the routine this lets me reinforce that they could have choosen one of three places on the page. Seems impossible to meomorize that way. If they say the middle and it happens not too often. They had no idea what I was asking them? I tell them no I don't want you to pick a word from the middle of the book as that might be too easy. Just call out any page number. Remember it is a very subtle thing to do and if you put the right focus when you say First or last. They will pick it.

I ask for the book back, divine the word on my business card and Im off.
This is my favourite as it gives the belief that you can read their thoughts. I also write the word a little different sometimes as I struggle to divine it.
believe could be belief, you get the idea a little error can make it more incredible.

I have a way that makes the memory work for the last word a breeze. If you have done the basic work for the first page. PM and I will give you a way to the last so easy.

Don't give up on this it kills. I also use it in my shows but after a series of WTF effects that leaves them disarmed and trusting my abilities.

magicmike30
Entertainer
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks for the feedback guys. I should certainly work on my presentation skills and get the most out of it and work around its limitations.

Magicmike I really like your scripting of this. Very helpful, thanks
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Thanks very much Scott it is a Gem.

If you want a simple way to instantly know the last word shoot me a pm and I will tell you. It is sooo easy and works wonders for me.

magicmike30
Entertainer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dracula Book Test (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL