The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » The science of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I discovered "the science of magic" today, and I was wondering what is appropriate subject matter to be discussed there?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4759 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Haven't opened it yet...am working on it and a few other things...
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Quote:
On 2007-08-13 21:40, Al Angello wrote:
I discovered "the science of magic" today, and I was wondering what is appropriate subject matter to be discussed there?

Sounds like a great place to me! As a science teacher I'm always looking for new ways of enhancing the learning experience of the kids.

Maybe it should be about such things as probabilities / the workings behind Gilbreath and even some stuff that all science teachers do - such as colour changing indicators with acids / alkalis. On the last point I saw at the Robin Hood Festival in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire (UK), an "alchemists stall" where the guy was dressed up in alchemists garb and performing (not selling) magic simply by getting the kids to grind the ingredients for black powder and using various catalysts from his "magic wand" to ignite the stuff. To the kids it looked totally amazing and the adults seemed quite impressed too with the "fireworks". Remember that science used to be thought of as magic until we rediscovered the Scientific Method a few hundred years ago.

Maybe there's a niche for someone to go into schools in the alchemist garb, tell stories of the ancient / medieval scientists like Archimedes etc and perform some real science demonstrations, or even get the kids to do some experiments themselves? Then they could give the real scientific explanations afterwards. I've always fancied doing this myself - love the dramatical stuff dressing up in period costume etc to pretend to be Izzy Kingdom-Brunell etc. whilst explaining the science.

Cheers,
Matt
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
524 Posts

Profile of sibbie
I really enjoyed the Harry Anderson and Lance Burton specials on this.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What is the intent or theme of this new section?

There is much scientific and engineering work used in conjuring and also much psychological/physiological work that pertains to how conjuring works for audiences.

Wondering in Westchester,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm assuming physical science rather than mental. Things like eddy currents and their effects as demonstrated by "Newton's Nightmare" (or something similar).

Mag levitation, chemical reactions, memory wire, that sort of thing.

Or, I could be totally wrong. We'll find out soon enough.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
PunkPrestige
View Profile
New user
Illinois
7 Posts

Profile of PunkPrestige
It sounds like a fun place--I just rented a video from the library called "the Science of Magic" and it was very interesting!
Are you watching closely?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Matt
Welcome to the magic Café. In the US there is a thriving business of science theme birthday parties, library demo's, and school assemblies. They advertise in parents news papers here, and some of them do it full time.

PunkPrestige
Welcome to you as well.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » The science of magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL