The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "The Journey" by Rick Maue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
"The Journey" by Rick Maue

is "limited release" (of 250 copies) of a brilliantly composed performance piece. The booklet is 16 pages, plus cover.

Routine:
Five people will think of any major city and write them on a piece of paper and seal them in evelopes. The names are stated out loud and are written on a board for all to see. The same particpants are asked to join the performer on stage. The envelopes are mixed BY A PARTICPANT and are passed to each of the five. They take their seats and are given the opportunity to exchange these envelopes with each other (all true).

Another participant is asked to name one of the cities and is circle on the board as a "target" city. All of the seated participants are asked to stand with their envelopes (and to now check which city they have in their possesion). The performer with the participant who decided on the "target" city now walk back and forth in front of the partipants and the performer stops in front of persons, naming the city in the envelope, and asks the person to sit down if is correct (and one by one they all do). Until the last, the performer is able to determine who has the "thought of" target city.

Thoughts:
Do you remember that feeling when your interest in things "magical" first was piqued? That sense that you were seeing something fantastic and you knew you were here to stay. It is a bit like standing at the edge of an ocean. So it is with me to this day when I read some really brilliant work. When it comes to Rick Maue it happens pretty much every time. I just love the feeling I get when I read someones' ideas and I think, "wow, how the heck did he think of that".

Rick's "The Journey" manuscript contains a performance piece that does just that. Keep in mind all of these bulletpoints are true:

1. No marks
2. No stooges
3. No preshow
4. No sleights
5. No gimmicks
6. No peeks
7. No pumping

and on and on and on! These statements are all absolutley true.

I just received this and it will be some time before I would perform this (to give it the proper reverance due it's brilliance). But, perform it I will.

This work includes come fantastic "ideas" brought together that make this "far-fetched" sounding set of features all true. This routine is not "self-working" and will require audience handling and confidence to perform (but, it is not "hard" or so to speak). Excellent methods and ideas, perfectly brought together to form an outstanding piece of mentalism. I wish I could have seen Rick perform this before I read it. It would have blown me away.

Obviously, highly recommended!

Find it here:
http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com/journey_.htm

Sean
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
This is an OUTSTANDING performance piece. A miracle in Rick's hands...

JB
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
740 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Talking of RICK MAUE, are there any news on the release of his dvd set with LL??
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6684 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
When I saw Rick perform this at Mindvention I told many of those there that this effect would have its own history. It will be the father of many effects like it to come. It was like witnessing 4th dimensional telepathy the first time it was performed or the very first book test or the very first time someone decided to tear a piece of paper and keep the middle. It was brilliant!!!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I envy you both (for witnessing this live)!

As I mentioned, I wish that I could have seen it. I spoke with Rick for some time when I ordered this and there couldn't be a more pleasant guy. I wish him all the best.

Sean
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Ssssh, stop mentioning this... I'm having too much with it.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Again, a limited release . . . seems to become a fashion.

thanks for pointing this out.
Cards never lie
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings everyone,

To start off, thanks to Sean for the very nice review of The Journey. I really appreciate your kinds words. And thanks to everyone else for all of the nice things that you guys also said.

To qkeli, I have not received any word from L&L about a possible release date for the DVD's. But hopefully, I will know something soon.

As for The Journey, I thought that we were sold out of the manuscript, but as I began preparing for a few upcoming lectures, I found some additional copies in with the stack of product that I take out on the road. So if anyone is looking to get a copy, there are about 25 left.

Finally, let me tell all of you that over the past few months, I have made some changes to The Journey, and the new handling is really outstanding. (And if you ask around, I never say that kind of thing about my own material.) Don't take that to mean that the original ideas are bad, because they are not. But the changes are really something. (And the changes will be in Occam's Magic, when is finally comes out.)

With that said, for those in the Baltimore area, I may be teaching the changes when I lecture there at the end of the month. And for those that are going to MINDvention, I will be lecturing at Denny & Lee's in Vegas the night before the convention, and I will be teaching the updated version of The Journey there.

And speaking of the Vegas lecture, I am trying to make it a free event for those that are attending MINDvention (and maybe for everyone else in the Vegas area). But more on that later...

So thanks again everyone, and I hope to see some of you during my travels.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Hi Rick,

For those of us outside the United States who have purchased The Journey, how about filling us in about the new version?

Don't me wrong, I love the original, but man, I just can't wait for Occam's Magic to come out (which I'll be buying anyway!), unless it's being released today!
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
By the way:

When I first read the description of Rick's "The Journey" (before I bought it), I immediately assumed this was somehow a clever adaptation of Max Maven's "Kurostuke" (of which, I am quite fond). IT IS NOT!

This is a unique combination of other ideas that I would never had been able to dream up myself. Others may not have made the same assumption that I had, but I still thought it was worthy to note. Great stuff!

Thanks again, Rick!
Sean
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Let me add my voice. this effect is as good as the blurb state
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 07:49, Waters wrote:
By the way:

When I first read the description of Rick's "The Journey" (before I bought it), I immediately assumed this was somehow a clever adaptation of Max Maven's "Kurostuke" (of which, I am quite fond). IT IS NOT!

This is a unique combination of other ideas that I would never had been able to dream up myself. Others may not have made the same assumption that I had, but I still thought it was worthy to note. Great stuff!

Thanks again, Rick!
Sean

Made me think of "Desire" by Max...whatever it is, sounds like a very powerful effect. Will have to check it out.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
You will be pleased with the very "different" and "fair" method! Desire is a great routine, this is not the same.

Sean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "The Journey" by Rick Maue (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL