The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Trespass DVD by Dan Army - worst DVD/trick produced (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
If the method is what Gabriel says it is, it is possible to make it an effective trick (think of what you do with an envelope which is gimmicked in the same way to make it examinable...) but it would seem that Dan didn't think this idea through.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Cameron, for what it's worth, the idea that I think you're suggesting is one that's already been put into use for several bottle penetrations. It is a good idea.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
The DVD in fact covers more than only one method, it's seems that Gabriel Knight forgot to mention it. Although this method is one my favourites as Dan teaches an interesting way to make the bottle examinable without any switches.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Erlandish, thanks for that. I don't know many CIBs. This idea just came to me when reading this thread. But I'm not at all surprised that it has been done before.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Cameron, I know what you mean by that, but from the sounds of it he covers no clean up, no convincers, and no subtleties, etc. Sounds like an unfinished and unworthy release that is not fully routined, not fully thought through, not fully researched and basically just not a finished and workable effect (as it is presented).

KMan1564

Whew... ha ha
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
You are completely wrong on that. You should say that if you have seen the DVD.
Like Dan or not he teaches several methods in detail including clean up and subtleties.
KMan1564
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of KMan1564
Could you be so kind to give us an in-depth review then Nitro?
New Mentalism and eMagic Supply Exclusives
http://emagicsupply.com/126.html
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
That's why I said sounds like, I wasn't stating it as fact, just my opinion from what we know so far from the topic creator. If you know different then maybe you could share your opinions, or give a review?

PS- My post you are referring to I posted before yours appeared, it was only after I posted mine that some appeared in front, if I had seen your post before my original post would have been worded differently.

I have heard nothing but bad things about this.
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
Hi guys,

Sure no problem, I'm going to prepare a review. No, the effect it's not the holy grail, but I've found out that one of the methods is specially interesting. I've tested it on my girlfriend some days ago, honestly I thought she would catch me, but there are two great subtleties that he teaches that work pretty well. I like that kind of magic that is KISS (keep it simple stupid). But that's my personal taste. Maybe I can also shoot a demo of me performing it if I have time!
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Gabriel Knight
The other methods are just as unusable. And is not his at all. Kevin Parker's passing through turned sideways doesn't count. And it is just super super weak! I have no idea how much you perform, Nitro. Mom tested isn't good enough to be putting out a DVD. Kevin's is everything he claimed, and I give him full credit for knowing how to design a GOOD idea.

Nitro go test this on a Kid, about 8 to 10 years old, see if they nail you bad. Most dangerous creature to test magic on is a kid or a Chinese cook.
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 12:38, Gabriel Knight wrote:
Kevin's is everything he claimed, and I give him full credit for knowing how to design a GOOD idea.

Nitro go test this on a Kid, about 8 to 10 years old, see if they nail you bad. M

Gabriel,
I think we shouldn't compare this with Kevin's effect. It's like comparing blue with red. That particular method it's not even close to kevin's.

And yes, like I told on a previous post I have tested one of the methods already and worked. I won't be using the other two methods, but I can find some value here as I'll be using this one. It works for ME.
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Ok, well I gave my opinion.

You have a right to feel differently about it. This effect is very good for people who want to perform something 1 or 2 times for 1 friend and call it good. It isn't a working effect at all. And his discription is false.

You should write your review! Seems you have strong feelings about it.
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
Gabriel,

I learned to never judge an effect before I actually try it. Like I said on a earlier post, I had doubts that it would work. But it worked and quite well. From time to time I do perform some gigs and if I spend some money on a DVD and I can use at least one idea, I'm happy with it. That often happens to me, watch a whole dvd and use only one idea or two. I'll prepare a review for you guys mate.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've surrendered! I should have this DVD in hand tomorrow and will write a review as well....
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Impervious - coin and bottle - Get this one!!!!
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I agree. Also check out Bullet and Factory Sealed when they come out.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Impervious IS amazing.

Bullet and Factory Sealed... who knows at this time, heard nothing but great things about Factory Sealed.

Guess time will tell, but Impervious is excellent.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey! The order made the truck yesterday and it showed up this afternoon!

Title: Trespass by Dan Army
Medium: DVD
Arena: close up, stand up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Have you ever seen a tape of yourself or someone else, very drunk, usually at a wedding or other event, talking to a camera and while they think they are expounding wisdom they are just rambling on making no sense? That was the feeling I got while watching Trespass by Dan Army. I’m not saying the young man was drunk or anything but he swayed back and forth during the entire production, his actions were odd, and his often rambling presentation did exhibit slurring. I found the swaying very distracting as well as the odd hand motions, I’m guessing for emphasis, used during the explanations. I went into this hoping to find value in the production and routines shown but I’m afraid I was unable to. Let’s take a look at Trespass.

What is Trespass? In the most general terms it is a coin penetrating a bottle, methods for glass and plastic bottles are given. The production level was okay, shot with one steady camera, likely on a tripod, it was just Dan, his crooked hat, bottles, a knife, a coin, and a bed sheet behind him. The sound had some rough spots but overall it was alright. The biggest production problem was Dan himself with the swaying forward and back. The hat also should have been taken off or at least worn in a normal fashion, I would have taken it off myself. Trespass is very unique in the world of magic DVDs in that the methods used are methods magicians wouldn’t use because, well, they are so bad. Dan says he came up with Trespass “several years ago”, that would make it around the time he was nine years old, so I believe him. If I was to ask a nine year old how to get a coin into a bottle the method used with the plastic bottle pretty much is how they would do it. The method used with a glass bottle is laughable and wouldn’t fool anyone, well neither would the method used with the plastic bottle.

I don’t think I want to beat this guy up anymore than he’s already been beat up but I do want to point out a few things. First off if you do get this DVD and decide to gimmick a bottle do NOT use the knife in the manner Dan does. You’ll see him playing with the knife, I guess trying to impress people with his mad skills of playing with a knife, while saying “don’t play with knifes”. He then uses it in a very unsafe manner, if you use a knife, use a table and be careful. Another thing is when you watch Dans rambling explanation of how to do coin sleights please, if you want to do coin magic even halfway to being right, ignore him and get another source. Dan is not only not good at sleight of hand his information is faulty on misdirection and all that fun stuff. Lastly Dan advises you, if too surrounded, to take one step back, about ‘five feet’, if you try to take one step back and it is five feet it looks really odd. I think if I did the splits as far as I could I wouldn’t reach five feet.

This may be the worse DVD I’ve seen on magic that was released as wide as it has been. I can’t think of who, if anyone, would really try these methods in real performance. Could you fool someone who isn’t real bright and may have had a couple wine coolers behind the shed, isn’t paying attention, and just wants you to finish? Sure. Could you fool anyone else? Nope. If I had the choice of doing any of these methods or doing nothing at all I’d go with nothing at all. Sorry Dan fans, this one doesn’t make the grade.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Well, there it is. A real review. By a guy with a lot of knowledge and experience. Thanks for taking one for the team, MagicSanta. I am certainly grateful for it. I suppose we owe you one Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lots of people here have more knowledge and experience I can assure you. You know, you are welcome for 'taking one' because I had to overcome an urge to just shut off the DVD as it was that bad. Lemme see what I have next to work on... Fresh Mint! Interesting....a signed bill to tick tac box.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Trespass DVD by Dan Army - worst DVD/trick produced (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL