The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » My friend keeps ruining my Si Stebbins setup! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 15:39, Bill Douglas wrote:
People like a gentleman, not a show off. Be a showman that magic just sort of happens to. Say stuff like "man, I hope this works", "If I followed the directions right we'll be surprised that...". Act a bit skeptical and leary when you reveal the surprise at the end, and then be relieved that it worked...when doing your tricks.

Very good advice!

"It is possible you made him a bad spectator" will happen when you do opposite.
Your friend became challenging not for the trick, but for you.

Hideo Kato
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Depending on his shuffle (a simple overhand or riffle) it may be possible to quickly unshuffle the deck. Try looking at the deck after a shuffle.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Someones are talking about attitude of the magician and/or the spectator. Others are talking about the trick. Which will help him?

Hideo Kato
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Ignore him and perform for other people. You probably do not have a lot of experience. As you become more experienced and gain other methods you will have less of a problem with your friend or other hecklers.

Robert
J.D.Palmer
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
19 Posts

Profile of J.D.Palmer
Although I wouldn't recommend ever repeating that trick for him again... if he ever asks for it again....offer to "show it to him in reverse" and have him select a card and with just a wave of your hand his card is the only one reversed...... so even if he thinks you forced a card the reversal will become the main focus.

I only had random tricks with no organization until people would hassle me to see a trick again, which lead to a natural routine.

Hopefully that can help you not only with your friend but also with your art.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Always keep a spare stack and swap out the deck? bingo!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Here's another suggestion. Bet him $100 dollars that you can do it again and hope that he doesn't take you up on the bet. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
Tell him you can name every card in the deck without every repeating a card. Even offer him a bet if you like. Tell him to take the deck, and name any card you want. Have him hand it to you. Rebuild the stack from top and bottom (To hide the CHASED order a bit) in this way.

Not an IDEAL solution, but it IS a solution.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Unshuffle the deck Smile seriously check out tangled web for some insight on this. unless he shuffles the living daylights out of it, you might be able to bring it back
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of Ross W
You're onto a loser, mate: this type of spectator will NEVER be satisfied. That said, it can be irresistable to try to fry him but you'll usually end up frustrated. Why?

Because - no matter WHAT you do, he will CONVINCE himself that he knows how you do it. He HAS to, otherwise his self-esteem, and the basis of your friendship, is unbalanced.

If you challenge him as to how you forced him to choose a particular card behind his back, his reply will be something like, "Oh, I don't know exactly - but I'm right aren't I? I knew it! Ha ha ha ha! Gotcha!!!"

You see, the mechanics of how he thinks you achieved it are unimportant to him. It's enough that he thinks he's found the principle, and thus "found you out".
You could produce a baby elephant in a puff of smoke in his dorm room and he'd say, "Oh that's simple: you brought it in through the door when I wasn't looking! Loser!"

And I guarantee this. If you DO get a marked deck and do it on him, he'll come up with another restriction, like "Now do it blindfold," or "Why can't I keep the cards behind my back and you tell me what card I turned over?"

(Incidentally, how thoroughly does he shuffle? If it's an overhand shuffle, a lot of the stack will survive making it worth the risk! That said, you may want to check out a non-cyclical stack that won't be spotted if he looks at the face.)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 21:03, edh wrote:
Once is considered entertainment. Twice is considered lessons, and I charge for lessons. I read that somewhere. Smile

"All you paid is the looking price: lessons are extra."

Edward G. Robinson, The Cincinatti Kid.

Tim
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Buy "Remote Vision Die" and call it a day. He can be in the other room and not come out and you can blow his mind. But as for a card trick, how about Devastation or Sal Piacente's 4-5-6 Packet Trick? both are pretty much the same, but different in presentation. in my opinion, it is an awesome trick for those types of people. they pretty much handle the deck the entire time, you only come into contact with it once and as for backtracking, there isn't much for him to remember as he was the one who shuffled, cut the deck into either 4 5 or 6 packets, picks any of of those piles, mentally picks a card, shuffles that pack, ********, restacks everything, etc...and his card is still miraculously found.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Trying to impress someone who has a fragile ego is just an exercise in futility. Besides, what do you really get out of showing him up? He doesn't seem to enjoy being deceived, even if it's for entertainment purposes.

It's possible that your false shuffle isn't convincing enough. When I do a false shuffle, there appears to be no way that I controlled the deck in any manner. It may also be possible that the selection procedure may not appear to be fair. Does anyone else bust your chops on this routine?

Stick to people who want you to do a great job. I often look at spectators, who try to mess me up, as those who are simply testing me, to see how good I am. Get a copy of "Outs, Precautions and Challenges for Ambitious Card Worker" by Charles H. Hopkins. It will serve you well. Forget about the marked deck - it's not necessary.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
There is a small market for magic. To use the music industry as an example, there are small markets in classical, jazz, and bluegrass. The larger markets are Hip Hop, Rap, Country, etc. We must find those that enjoy what we have to offer . . . find our market . . . and that market may not include some of our friends.
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Read derren brown's book "Absolute magic"... and you shouldn't try to respond to his challenge since there is no obligation AND magic is about entertaining people, not fooling them intentionally.

I think you're going in the wrong direction here. your friend is not a spectator anymore, so why would you be a magician for him ?
mmura
View Profile
New user
Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa (New Zealand)
52 Posts

Profile of mmura
Just think this is an opportunity to practice audience management.
How he act is a result of what you did.
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 20:59, mmura wrote:
Just think this is an opportunity to practice audience management.
How he act is a result of what you did.

agreeed !
SpringBizkit
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of SpringBizkit
Alright so Here's a little something.
I live at a student hostel and I'm always performing for the people around here. One night a friend of a friend comes around and my friend tells me to show this guy. now this guy turns out to be a heckler about my card magic as he doesn't seem as impressed. Now I guess this won't work with all types of tricks but I have to say.. see if you can learn to simply jazz. I would have him peek, and I would use the draun glimpse (after he changed his mind 2 times). showed it was fair and let him shuffle. I would then ask him what would make him really be astonished. during this time I fanned the cards and located the glimpsed card. He then asked me to spread it on the table and take it out from the spread, all faced down. Now there's a few ways to go about this. so I did it..
he was very impressed, as it was something he himself thought was impossible and would get him impressed.
He later asked if he could do what your friend wanted (in a way) he wanted to peek at a card in his own hand, and not let me touch the deck. I told him that there was a method, but I still had to perfect it and would show it to him at a later date as it was very difficult. So he hasn't bothered me about that.
I guess try that approach, or maybe ask him what would really impress him and attempt it. You'll be surprised what you can come up with on the spot. (eg. I came up with impromtu way to change color of deck. I had blue, spec was holding red, and they switched places)

After a few different jazzing tricks (these are good as you know the card and he can interrupt to shuffle and you can just find another out) you can try this, it REALLY helps. you tell him you need to practice something and it isn't perfected and there's a small chance of success but you need someone to 'help' you. by making him a magic friend/assistant you break down a BIG wall and he's in your confidence (in a way) you perform the trick (simple one) and asks what he thinks and how it could be better.

The guy watches a lot of my tricks now, doesn't really heckle much, just few comments, but if he catches something now.. he won't blurt it out (as he used to) he'll tell me later that I need to work on a certain move or something cause he saw it. (this helps me too) but he does it in confidence thinking that he's like my helper.
give it a shot, it changes everything.
1. do something he thinks is amazing
2. try to jazzing
3. ask for his assistance.

Sagar.
SpringBizkit
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of SpringBizkit
By the way. a couple tricks to look into that may help.

Untouched - Daryl
Impossible - Larry Jennings.

both amazing and is after a shuffled deck and you don't need to even be near him.

Also, I LOVE Steven Youell's the trick with no explanation from his Weapons of Mass Destruction book.
that fries everyone and you don't have to do much.
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of 55john55
I don't think anything you do will solve your problem, but what a credit to you and your friendship that you keep making an effort. That said, here is one suggestion. When only you two are together, ask him this: If you were telling jokes, and he knew the punch lines, would he constantly blurt out the punch line before the end of every joke? If the answer is "yes", ask him why he would do that? If the answer is "no" tell him that is effectively what he is doing to you. Be honest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » My friend keeps ruining my Si Stebbins setup! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL