The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » My 'First' restaurant gig went well! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

crashfreze
View Profile
Regular user
columbia, sc
114 Posts

Profile of crashfreze
I worked 2.5 hours and got 32 bucks in tips. Not too bad for my first gig ever.

In case you are wondering here's what I decided on taking.

I took a regular red deck
A spare red deck (to replace signed cards with)
Invisible Deck
Anything Deck (Paul Harris)
Scotch & Soda
Separate Packet of 8-card brainwave

During the course of the night I did a lot of improv card stuff with forcing a person the same card over and over. God I love the classic force.

I did Jazz Aces, Untouched by Daryl, Triumph, and of course Ambitious Card.

Also got a nice reaction out of doing a disappearing deck while just maintaining their signed card as a gift.

Most importantly I had a ton of fun and blew away the owners.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Good job! you may want to read "the tipping thing " under this topic A lot of performers do not accept tips to keep peace with th wait staff(your best friend when it comes to getting rid of the magician) if you make them mad by (stealing) their tips.. Charge what you want to make and leave the tips for the wait staff... I know early on it is cool to accept tips but in the long run it goes farther by not or if they are forced upon you to let the staf split them. afterall you should be the highest paid employee there...
Just my two cents...

Jeff
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
And you were worried!

Cheers!

Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Nums, I was told a long time ago by an owner who I worked for. Sometimes the waitresses ask if they lose tips due to the magician being there. He tells them that if they do their job well, they will get tipped too. I have worked with & without tips but I do believe that if they feel compelled to tip me, I take it. I also believe that if I do a great job, they feel better about thier dining experience and tip the waitress better. My opinion, for what it's worth. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » My 'First' restaurant gig went well! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL