The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Help from the Freaks! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
And I do mean the word FREAK as s sincere term of endearment! = )

I have just recently added a "Bizzare" show to my list of packages I offer. I'm calling it "Totally Twisted XTreme Magic." It's nothing new for you guys...just the classic side show style effects...but stuff that I've never done before so it's new and exciting to me and I wanted to offer my clients the opportunity to get something different than my regular act.

I'm now trying to find a good place to get some different outfits to wear when I perform this act. I'm not really into wearing a suit for a Bizzare Show...know what I mean...can anyone suggest a place to get some unusual clothing? Websites? I'm thinking shirts that have fire images on them or something like that.

Also...can someone suggest some good music that would be fitting for a show like this? Creepy music. Any suggestions?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Christopher;
When I display my exhibit, it's black top hat, dark glasses, all black attire with a floor length long coat.
My music selection (which by the way, I am glad you brought that up, it really helps add atmosphere) is by Midnight Syndicate.
I use two of their CD's "Vampyre & Dungeons & Dragons"
Check out their site at; http://www.midnightsyndicate.com

& just for the sake of displaying, here is how mine gets set up:
Dark room, windows clear for the moonlight to shine in (only display this on a moonlit night now) Tiny spots on the cases that contain the objects, a spray of rose oil in the air and the CD Vampyre playing softly in the background.

A welcome to all who dare to visit for a spell, and for them to take all the time they wish, because time may be all they have left.
The rest of the intro, I'll let you come up with for yourself.
Hope this helps
All the Best
Marty
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I think this thread belongs in the "Bizzare Magic" section.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Yes, it makes me feel......."bizzare"

No offense intended guys, just couldn't resist
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Brett...Bizarre magic is not Sideshow stunts and Acts.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
"Totally Twisted XTreme Magic."

I'm pretty sure this guy is talking about magic tricks.
Blog:
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'm pretty sure I read his post...ie:

"just the classic side show style effects"

He'll come back and clarify hopefully.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Bahh...
Blog:
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
On 2007-08-16 21:42, Freak Prodigy wrote:
Bahh...

My thoughts exactly
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Go to his site and read the description--it's 90% magic, with sword swallowing.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I don't think he's a real sword swallower.

If he were, I would think that he would have at least one photo of him doing it.

But hey, Chris, if you are, I'm sorry.

If you arn't a real sword swallower, and you are claiming that you really are swallowing the sword, then you are stepping on the toes of the guys that do it for real.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Dr Desmond Jones
I like to wear rhine stoned outfits and a cowboy hat.

;0)
"You Lady, you call him Dr. Jones, --Short Round!"
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Hey Guys...

Had a busy few days so I'm just now getting back on. Sorry for the delay in this response.

I'm new the the Café' so I'm still trying to get an idea where to post stuff. I tried this thread in the Bizzare area was told to come here to post it. If this ain't the right place then I'm sorry. Where should a thread like this belong?

Ok...so let's clairfy.

My act is 100% Magic...it's just a darker Magic act than what I normally do. Over the last year or two, I've been asked by clients if I do a "darker" act. My response is always no. Well...a buddy of mine out here in Dallas named Jimi (aka Bizzarro...www.smappdooda.com) has been getting me really exicted over the last year about the Dark Side of Magic if you will. Our converstaions have led me to develop an act for people that want something a bit differnt than a traditional magic show.

So what do I perform currently that could be considered "darker or bizzare" magic. Not much. I do a straight jacket escape, an arm chopper, some mentalism, some fire effects and that's about it. Not really my idea of a Bizzare Magic Act.

So over the last several months, I've been putting together a new act to offer in addition to my more traditional show. Some of it is my own own, some of it is the store bought stuff. I think (from the effect stand point) it's a great show.

Now I'm trying to "set the mood." I need cosutming and music ideas that will play well that arn't cheesy (no X files Music or Halloween Sound Effects). Currently, I dress in smart suits with a mood of someone from the Rat Pack circa 1920s. Not exactly the type of look for this new act if you catch my drift. I really like Marty's ideas but would like more.

Brett...I do infact swallow a real sword. However, I've never had an act where it would be appropriate to do it. Honestly...I've never done it in public...it's been a secret talent of mine for about 15 years. I'll show friends and family on occassion...but it's never been a part of my show. I've tried to photograph it, but it doesn't look real...just looks like a handle sticking out of my mouth. I think something like that would be hard to photograph...unless you can do multiple swords at one time which I cannot.

I would NEVER advertise that I can do something that isn't true.

So...there ya go. What I'm asking is for some costuming/music advice for a show that is 100% magic, 100% danger, 100% dark...but other than the sword swalling, has nothing really to do with Side Show stuff. Where shoulda post like this go since I've been told it doesn't belong in the Bizzare area.

Any tips or advice would be greatly apprecaited as well as tips on my orginal question.

Thanks in Advance...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well...if it's not the sideshow acts as you had mentioned and it's not theatrically spooky, ghostly and story driven then you are looking for an outfit will cross lines...a wizard cape wount do but a black suit with black shirt will do...unless your a clown dress how it makes YOU look good. The material and the performance will set the stge without black sequened underwear and fangs if you get my drift. All depends on how hokey you want to be percieved. Somebody mentioned the leather shops tc. but you'ld belimiting your audience...and by the way who is your audience? What is the new stuff you made or bought that you consider Bizarre? What is the age group?
:)
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
*sigh*
go to the mall and buy crap from Hot Topic....

When you're done with being made fun of, spend some good ol' alone time and come up with something original.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Wow...thank Nippulini for all the help you offered in your post. That's the exact bit of info that I was hoping for. Whatever!!!! Worthless!!!! For your info, I did spend quite a bit of "alone time" trying to put together a great show that wasn't completely store bought!!!! This act will feature several original ideas.

Doug...I appreciate your help (sincerely). I'm not trying to be hokey...just want a darker mood. I think Marty provided me some great info and has pointed me in the right direction.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Marty should know. My only advise and I think what Nips was trying to say (in his fashion Smile ) is to wind up looking good at it rather than Gothic clownish. By the way Marty currently presents a Museum Attraction, thus his outfit.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Chris

if you want to go over the top check out the outfits at this link

http://www.castleblood.com/fashion/mens.html

The Realm Coat would make a striking look
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Thanks Bill...I appreciate it!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Yes Doug, that is exactly what I was saying. The Hot Topic route is pathetic as it is. I was doing raves and the goth look in 1992 when it was actually quite individual and a real form of self expression. Nowadays its packaged "cool" which in turn becomes a fad, a thing to be mocked (i.e. why I said "when you're done being made fun of"). I liked the sarcasm though, Chris... it came through real well. I wish the best in life for you.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Help from the Freaks! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL