The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Hasbro buys off D'Lite (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I hate it when people lick my props!

;)

Mike
monkeyguitar10
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of monkeyguitar10
Yeah they are, but don't worry about it if you mention the term D - lite in front of people most of them will not not know what it is.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I still use them in my shows and audiences love them.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
YEY! It will be easier to get them now!!!! YEY!!!!!
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Presumably it doesn't really matter who sells it, it comes down to who is using it and how...

Its like that old idea that even though the prop/method/secret may be commercially available or readily exposed, it would come down to its presentation and/or incorporation in a routine. Things like the TT, Invisible thread, folding coins etc are now known by a lot of people. For example, If you just made them glow on and off for 3 minutes to music, then your not helping youself or the problem, but built into a proper routine, it could still prove to be a nice little illusion...

Like Geoff Weber mentioned above, he is still using it without any problems...?
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
I think this pretty much links back to many of the "exposure" threads. In our Internet age, the "secrets" of a good deal of magic are out there for anyone with some extra time and access to Google to find. You can easily find vids on how to perform Red Hot Mamma, pick up the basics of cups and ball on a website (or see Penn & Teller's show...sorta), and now buy D'Lites at Toys'R'Us (amongst many other magic items last time I ducked into the one in Times Square). Still, deft handling and proper routining make all the difference. Plenty of magicians out there (you know you've done at some point) can amaze audiences using routines based on simple tricks you could pull out of the most basic library magic book.

On a side note, making them available for cheap does have some up-sides as well. Personally, I never use D'Lites. I remember when they came out, and watched them grow more ubiquitous over the years, but they just never really called to me. However, if I walk by a clearance table at a toy store with a pair for $8.99 or the like, you can bet I'm gonna pick up a pair to play with.
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 03:39, Freak Prodigy wrote:

I've sold hundreds of D'lites to kids of all ages, it's a very over exposed trick. I'd say more exposed than the TT.

Brett.

Wouldn't it bee the same almost seeing that a D'Lite is a TT???
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Oh no! A customer in my shop was telling me/ trying to be inquistive as if I had more info, but is it true that MAGIC MAKERS bought D' Lite??? I hope this to be a d' lie. !!!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
pantseatflyer
View Profile
New user
NW Arkansas
40 Posts

Profile of pantseatflyer
I purchased two D'lites in the early 90's when they were introduced and they were expensive and I was skeptical when I opened the box.

I did a routine to music around Christmas and the kids ate it up.

It's sad that such a great effect gets sold out in the toy store... What's next? Scotch and Soda?
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Well, if you look at Rocco's web site, they're still selling them under the same name, so non-insider information says nothing's changed other than price drops over the years, and LOTS of non-magicians using em.

As an aside, as a businessperson, I would seriously consider selling it off pretty soon. It's gotten commodity and so many mall kiosks have been selling them, it's not a real effect "magic" weapon any more. Sure, you can still fool some people, but by and large, it's no longer a real magician's prop, but a commodity novelty that is still used by magicians.

In product lifecycle, it might well be time to sell out if the price were right.

Personally, though, I'd love for it to disappear for a few years, and come back fresh...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I still use them to this day to great reactions....... this is just a paranoid magician thing.

If someone's dad happened to go to Vegas and bring some back for their kid, who is at your show. And he calls you out on them, (first you should be able to see the situation before he speaks) and then you should be skilled enough to get rid of them in a smooth manner:

''nono look, I have nothing in my hands'' and kindly shut him up.

no?
AEdwards
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of AEdwards
Well those that know me know that I'm just gonna voice my opinion and tell it how it is. My statement will offend some and others will know right where I'm going with it. Two types of magi exist. The trixter who has to perform everything just the way it is in the instructions simply because they have limited creative ability if any. You know the type they watch a Roth video learn coins across and when they perform the routine. They become Roth down to the the patter and hand placements. Then there are the Magicians the ones with talent. You know the type the magic does'nt come from the prop or the gaff it comes from them. The personality, the style, the personal touch they put on it to make it their own. Here is an example the torn arm prop or severed arm illusion. You can buy one for 8.00. Kevin James put his touches on it and guess what it was magic. He made you sit back and say no way, wow, man that was good. Bottom line the tricksters are worried while us magicians are looking forward to a price break in a great utility item.
http://www.antonedwards.net

Shattering Reality
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Funny how a provocative post like that one didn't get any response huh?? I guess it proves your point
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Hasbro buys off D'Lite (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL