The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Telephone etiquette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Yes your right there Al

I know this would upset the masses but maybe cell phone use should not be allowed in any public building. Or on a train, bus, subway, (Aircraft too regardless if it is in the air or not) That would end a lot of noise pollution. As I said I am not on my phone that much so if that were to ever happen it would not upset me at all. Actually it would make me happy. I know most are going to not agree with that but I really think it should happen. I hate listening to anyone talk on there cell Yes I have one but the way I use it such a thing would not be a threat to me at all. To those who would not like it. Well it would be your fault that it came to such action. Meaning you made yout bed now sleep in it.

Sorry for going on and on I must be in a grumpy mood today.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 00:49, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Perhaps you cold talk about them and their conversation as if you were included... after all if they wanted privacy they would keep their conversations private.

I kind of did that, a while ago when a young lady was having a very loud conversation (about sod all) on a bus with someone called "Jen". When the conversation was about to end I shouted "bye Jen" and to my surprise someone else followed with "see ya, Jen".

George
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 13:23, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 00:49, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Perhaps you cold talk about them and their conversation as if you were included... after all if they wanted privacy they would keep their conversations private.

I actualy did that. A woman in a bookstore was talking so loudly on her phone, I joined in. Smile

Did that too, it's the greatest high! My brother and I often do that when we feel annoyed.

Anyway, about being available 24/7, I have nothing against it. There may be some emergencies one has to attend to anywhere anytime, ie, your wife calls you to go home before you pass the hooker street, your husband calls you asking how to operate the dishwasher, your kids call you just because they want to say something sweet... etc.

Anyway calls aren't the popular thing in our place. Text messages/ SMS are. No matter how low our economy might be, we still are the leading nation in asia when it comes to SMS. lol
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Cyssa, I'm surprised to hear that after living here in Japan and seeing entire train loads of people staring at their cell phones and punching their keypads like they're playing the cell phone version of the Flight of the Bumblebee. I thought Japan had cornered the market on volume of text that's been messaged, but I've never seen any statistics, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

At least in Japan, it's impolite to talk on the cell phone in most public places, so the loud overheard conversation is pretty rare (compared to the U.S.).

Bill
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Hey Bill!

I saw it on tv, I dunno how reliable it is. Just sharing. Smile
Japan.. yep one of the busiest countries in asia. Is UNLIMITED TEXTING click in there? Here in phils, it is. you only waste like... 30 US cents to text the whole day, and Filipinos are so hooked up to it. If the statistics were based by how much each text costs, perhaps Japan, even Korea would win. But in frequency, I think we got it. (i never heard of any other asian who texts, eyeballs, and even calls people while using the loo)

PS: when I was a kid, I wanted to go to japan just to see sakura. sigh.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
If only we could have some of these chaps follow us about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BujoOxjB3b4
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Beautiful, I love it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
A few days ago I was at a green light, trying to figure out what the woman in the "Expedition" that was smack in the middle of the intersection, slowly creeping around the turn, was doing, when I suddenly realized she was steering around the turn with her ELBOWS while she typed a text message on her Treo-palm-berry-phone.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I have my phone with me everywhere (I need it for various reasons, my job being the most relevant, wife next). I still ignore more than half my calls. If I'm talking to someone who is right in front of me, I don't stop to answer my phone.

My wife however will crash the car before she misses a call. She always keeps it lost somewhere inside her purse, so when it rings I check to make sure I'm buckled cause that car won't have a driver till she finds it. She has gotten very used to my profanity.

The cyborg people **** me off. A guy was next to me at a store and just talking away to someone in front of him. Noone else was around (Even in front of him) so naturally I assumed he was talking to me. So I says to him, I says: What? So he turns to me and I see the Borg ear plug and he looks at me like I was a complete ***... Apparently I don't understand telephone etiquette either.

Also, why keep the stupid thing on when your not talking to anyone? Do those folk (I'm sure Josh #2 has one on all the time, why don't you ever call me?) not realize how completely foolish they look? No offense Josh, with you it wouldn't make a noticeable difference. And where can I buy one?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
No wonder there is a bumper sticker that reads "I wonder if you would drive any better if that phone was up your a**?"

I just don't get why people have to become so attached to something that everyone did just fine without for many many many years.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Cyssa, I trust your tv show. I haven't witnessed any loo cell-phone use in Japan so far (thank goodness!).

And come see the Sakura some spring. They're beautiful!

Bill
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Josh #2,

I don't wear a cyborg plug in my ear, I'm way too fashion conscious for that. I keep my cell phone in my fanny pack.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Real men don't wear fanny packs, where I live we make fun of fanny packs, but we have a more sissyfied name for them.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Bum bags please gentlemen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Telephone etiquette (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL