The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Surprisingly Satisfying "Invasion" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Given that good 50s sci-fi B-movies ("The Blob," "The Day The Earth Stood Still," "The Boy With Green Hair") occupy such a sanctified pedestal in my memory, I was apprehensive about seeing "Invasion." However, Nicole Kidman, having done SO smashingly well in "The Others," was an irresistible draw; she did not disappoint.

Don't misunderstand me, this is still a B-movie. But, like the prior B-movie remake starring her sofa-stomping ex, it's reasonably well done. Kidman turns in a respectable performance, and the movie -- while it breaks no new ground -- plows familiar ground proficiently while churning up a few good thrills. This was a good excuse to escape the heat, settle back, and dig into some over-priced corn...both from the bucket and the screen.

Two minor complaints: 1] As an ex-husband, that scene with the hammer just wasn't necessary, and 2] Was the original that preachy?

Leland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 16:40, Leland Stone wrote:
But, like the prior B-movie remake starring her sofa-stomping ex, it's reasonably well done. Kidman turns in a respectable performance, and the movie -- while it breaks no new ground -- plows familiar ground proficiently while churning up a few good thrills. This was a good excuse to escape the heat, settle back, and dig into some over-priced corn...both from the bucket and the screen.

Two minor complaints: 1] As an ex-husband, that scene with the hammer just wasn't necessary, and 2] Was the original that preachy?

I believe Invasion is the 3rd remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That's English-language. There are probably some foreign-language remakes out there as well.

Incidentally, I think the original movie was based on a 1955 novel / serialization by Jack Finney. In it, the aliens just gave up and fled, defeated by the indomitable human spirit.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Remakes for the most part don't impress me.

I did however like "The Thing" with Kurt Russell.

Thanks Leland for the review.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hold on...did Leland say he liked War of the Worlds with Cruise? In that case I can't accept his movie reviews because that was one gawd aweful movie.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
"Reasonably well-done" is a relative term with a broad swath. WOTW 2 was watchable, but not an improvement on the original.

Gotta wonder if there's some post-divorce cinematic competition going on between the former Mr. and Mrs. Cruise, what with both starring in remakes this way. Further, there's a scene in "Invasion" which serves no purpose whatever, beyond demonstrating the physical charms Mr. Cruise elected to forsake.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think you did a typo that confused me. I'm so...wait....you are Navy? Chief, you are now on my list of good guys, what is your history?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Is it true that they made this one without the PODS?? How can you make a movie about Pod-People without PODS?!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Sacrilege!

I love these movies but you've gotta have PODS!

There was the 1956 version with it's anti climatic ending. ("Why won't you BELIEVE me!...oh...you do believe me. That is nice".)

There is also my personal favourite in the 78 (or 79?) version with that bone chilling final shot. Still give me shivers.

The 93 version does what so many movies did in the late 80s, early 90s and set it in a military setting (Child's Play 3, Day of The Dead, Die Hard 2) which makes it far less creepy (but gives us far more explosions)

The new one tanked in the US (7 million opening!) so I can only imagine it belongs in the same bargain basement as Kidman's other remakes, Stepford Wives. (how can you make a Horror Satire that isn't funny OR scary!)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I remember watching the one from the 70s and waiting for the one woman to come out of the pod naked and was very dissappointed when she did....
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Now it's a new "Halloween".

What the _____??
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ah, but how well does it intercut with her other films?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Surprisingly Satisfying "Invasion" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL