The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MAD magazines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Does anyone here collect them
or
know of places that buy them?

I've got 10 collector issues I'm willing to part with.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I collect them! My secret shame....
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Have you ever checked the history of the magazine and its now dead editor Bill Gaines? Absolutely facinating story behind it. Bill Gaines dad, I think his name was Max if I recall correctly, started DC and AC comics and after having his head cut off by a tow line on a boat Bill took over and developed Crypt of Terror and all that good stuff. He was charged with ethics crimes because the comics were so horrific and had to sell everything off but his slicks, one of which was Mad Magazine. That is why on the inside he lists his lawyers on the same page as the other staff members so people know who to contact when they file suit. Gaines had the original artwork for Superman and donated it to some museum....cool stuff.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-20 12:53, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with that!

www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-20 14:05, MagicSanta wrote:
Have you ever checked the history of the magazine and its now dead editor Bill Gaines? Absolutely facinating story behind it. Bill Gaines dad, I think his name was Max if I recall correctly, started DC and AC comics and after having his head cut off by a tow line on a boat Bill took over and developed Crypt of Terror and all that good stuff. He was charged with ethics crimes because the comics were so horrific and had to sell everything off but his slicks, one of which was Mad Magazine. That is why on the inside he lists his lawyers on the same page as the other staff members so people know who to contact when they file suit. Gaines had the original artwork for Superman and donated it to some museum....cool stuff.

No I hadn't.

I have a book that came out probably 10 years ago about the
history of MAD. Unfortuantely its water logged because I didn't
take care of it. But still readable.

I haven't read it in a while...honestly, I don't like reading.

I just like looking at the photos.

Also, I love the books more.

www.mai-ling.net
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 14:05, MagicSanta wrote:

I don't know about AC or DC, I do know that Max Gaines pretty much invented the comic book developing a book called "More Fun Comics" which was a reprint of Sunday comics of the day. Then he developed EC (Educational Comics) which printed Bible Stories and others. After he died and his son took over, he changed it to "Entertaining Comics" and came up with Crypt of Terror and Tales From The Crypt.

I used to have a hard bound collection of his Weird Science book. I lost it *sob*
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Maybe I should change my avatar into a simpson one too.
then we can all match.

www.mai-ling.net
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't know if you would look better as a Simpson or not, but I loved the cover of mad magazine in which the president was made up as Alfred E. Newman.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Max started AC and DC with a partner and sold out to him. One of Mads main compitition was owned by Hugh Hefner, I think it was called Panic! or something like that, I don't recall. The guy who ran it for Hugh was one of Bill Gaines buddies, until he jumped ship. It should be noted that after Bill sold Tales of the Crypt and all that the congress backed off and they were allowed to continue, which wasn't cool to Bill, but the slicks were always left alone because they were considered magazined not comics.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-20 17:04, Cliffg37 wrote:
I don't know if you would look better as a Simpson or not, but I loved the cover of mad magazine in which the president was made up as Alfred E. Newman.

I don't know either, but it's worth a try.
you should see my south park one.

www.mai-ling.net
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Speaking of Alfred E. Newman...Mad was sued over him as well. The did a search and found a similar image from a German calendar made in 1903 so it was fair game. At the time I read about it Alfred had graced every cover but one and that was a test to see if the sales would vary...they didn't.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Are you kidding Santa! I remember the cover without him very well. I was in 7th grade at the time. Nearly everyone in the school tore that cover off and put it in their locker. The cover basically had a big fist with one finger sticking up. That was the whole thing. Sales probably went up for that.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 12:53, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

Finally a trait I can get behind!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MAD magazines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL