The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A classic? Nest of boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Just aquired an illusion that's 60 years old. It is like new and was well cared for. Does anyone do "Nest of Boxes"?

I worked it into my show and started by borrowing a rolex then placing it in a paper sack and pounding it to pieces and returning it to it's owner with an apology and the offer of a free drink to make up for his loss.

45 minutes later we opened the Nest of boxes which had been sitting on stage and as we got to the last box, inside was a dinner roll. I tore the roll open and inside was the Rolex.

What are some variations on this?

Saydean Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I use a NOB for a borrowed ring routine. Gets a killer reaction--it's my "nest" to last routine in my after dinner show.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Scott,

Thanks for your reply.
Are there any variations that you know of? My NOB uses ^ pieces and the load table.
I also use it for my nest to last routine.

Thanks,

Saydean Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I use the set manufactured by Sammy Smith. My routine for it, as well as for the same effect with ungaffed boxes is in my book,
"Great Scott! It's More Magic!"

I also know that Tommy Wonder has a routine in "The Books of Wonder."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Which Nest of Boxes are you referring to?

• Owen Brass or Silver Nest of Boxes ie. Coin in wool trick (Brass $95) or (Silver $225- Collector item)
  • Viking Himber Nest of Boxes ($450)
  • Sammy Smith's Nests of Boxes (135)
  • Abbotts' Nest of Boxes ($225)
  • Viking Brass Nest of Boxes ($48)

Owens has always been a knock-out and a winner in contests when presented right. Borrowed mark coin ends up in a locked brass box in the center of a ball of wool. Set up takes time here. The silver version is a collector's item.

Sammy Smith and I think the Abbotts are very similar and also very good and easy to use and set up. Abbotts has more boxes.

The Viking Himber is excellent craftmanship and easily damaged if unfamilar with the working parts. This is a larger treasure chest nest of boxes where a borrowed watch is smashed and appears in the third locked wooden box. Powerful Stage illusion with nice comedy bits.

I never saw or used the Viking brass coin Nest of Boxes.

The $95 Owens NOB is a very good powerful close-up and stage trick. A great addition to one's act. (Love-it)

The $450 Viking NOB is more of a stage illusion prop. Great trick and powerful audience appeal. (Love-it)

I can't speak for the other ones, because I never tried them. I saw Sammy Smith do his on his video and that looked good and easy to do for kids or adult shows.
Dennis Michael
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
There are a number of books that explain how to make your own nest of boxes, and a few use different methods. The Berg Book has a good one. Others include Modern Magic Manual by Hugard, one of the three "Miracle" books by Eric Lewis and many books describe the common, but effective, version where the next to last box is not quite as it seems.

I have made two sets, different methods. I am very happy with those I made. I just used cardboard and wrapped it, so it looks like gift boxes. You could also modify easily some of the nests being sold in gift stores today. They have assorted, very colorful and well-made nests of eight boxes or more for about $20.00.

quack
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Thank you Scott,Dendohowy and Magicduck,
Let me clarify my needs. I bought this nest of boxes from Walter Grahmm in Omaha.Ne. It is a really nice illusion about 60 years old that sets on a 4 wheeled cart 2' high. the boxes are mahogony and have been painted with high gloss black enamel. the set is comprised of 6 boxes the largest being 2'x2' and the smallest 8"x8" . I have been doing this illusion for six months in a long running show as I described in my first post. What I want is a variation on a theme ,there is no way to not do the illusion in its present form as the mechanics are the same always to get to the load in the final box. Watches,rings even a wallet have been tried but I just wonder if anyone who does this now has a thought on presentation that would be different from what we are doin now.
Thanks Again,
Saydean
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-02-19 20:18, Saydean wrote:
[...]
I just wonder if anyone who does this now has a thought on presentation that would be different from what we are doin now.
Thanks Again,

This is probably not a new idea, but how about a sort of "Let's Make a Deal" theme, where the watch (wallet, ring, etc.) owner first wins a worthless consolation prize - for the loss of his/her watch - and is then continually offered to trade for "what's in the box". When he/she chooses the box, he/she gets another box and is then goaded into choosing a different prize (behind the curtain, or in the [bulky, watch-containing-looking] envelope, or... After the new prize turns out to be worthless he/she is then offered the opportunity to trade for "what's in the box". This continues until you get to the last box...

I can imagine a bunch of ways to make this is a hugely funny and long remembered routine.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Thomas,
Thank you! That is a really funny idea and does indeed open up a whole new avenue for me to explore. I sometimes get so focused on my act that it drains my creative thoughts to nill. Please allow me to return the favor if you need.
Saydean
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Tom,

I like that concept, yes it has a whole wide range of origional ideas that can be real funny bits.
Dennis Michael
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
A big part of the fun should be to make it as "Let's Make a Deal" like as possible: offering cash to buy the box back, really undesirable - but funny - alternate prizes, etc.

I know it's a good idea, I just don't know that it's original with me. In any event, do your best to do it justice; it could turn out to be the highlight of your whole show.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » A classic? Nest of boxes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL