The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Axtell Turtle Puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I have been thinking about purchasing an Axtell Turtle Puppet to use in my family shows.
I did a search but there is not too much info here at the Café re: this particular puppet.

I really like the idea of being able to place a few small props in the shell compartment.....

I would appreciate hearing from any performers who use this particular puppet.Feel free to PM if you wish.Thanks.

Best.
Rich
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Hi Rich. I love this guy. Jay Johnson (Award winning Broadway show) was given one by Harry Anderson as a gift recently. Pretty cool!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thanks Steve.I PM'd you with a question.

Rich
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
I have the turtle and I love being able to have him go "inside" and come up with some gag or another. There is LOTS of room in the shell, too. The only challenges (both very minor in my opinion) are:

1) The feet compartments are not sealed off, so small items can get lost in the foam filling, and the foam filling can get pulled out as you try to grab something with the turtle's mouth.

2) It can be difficult to grab things with the turtle's mouth. Some things may need special "handles" added to make it easier for the turtle to grab, or magnets along with a magnet in the turtle's nose.

Like I said, neither problem is very big and the turtle gets a GREAT response from the audience before he ever says a single word.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Julian:I purchased the Turtle and he is Great.I agree with all your points.

On mine the two upper legs are sealed and the lower ones are open.However,those spaces may be useful for storing/holding other props at an easy to locate spot.I'll PM you if I come up with something.

I haven't added him to my show yet,but he will be making his debut very soon.

Another AWESOME puppet from Axtell!

Best.
Rich
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Very good points guys. I will have the production crew seal off the lower legs of the Turtles from now on, so small props do not get lost in the stuffing below. Thanks for the feedback. Mr. Tucker the turles is one of those favorite characters that gets a great reaction! He's full of opportunities for great ideas once he's in your hands.

We have another wacky character coming out soon which is a "Fried Chicken" puppet. Totally cooked...poor guy. It can be used as a "Roast Turkey" Puppet at Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
Steve, you really are a genius! I'm looking forward to seeing the fried chicken. It reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit I saw a few years ago...
justini
View Profile
New user
Salisbury, MD
54 Posts

Profile of justini
The Fried Chicken sounds great! I have Henrietta the Hen and could see myself using the Fried Chicken with her as a gag!
Can't wait to see it!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Just got an e-mail from Betsy that my son's turtle is on the way (He's using the $ from his 3rd place finish in the Axtell contest). Can't wait to see him. We've got the character bio developed, and about 4 minutes of material written for him, complete with a magic trick to end the set. Christmas is coming earlier this year...

Ken
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Ken:What a great choice your son made to spend his winnings on.This puppet is excellent.He's going to love it!

Rich
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
The Turtle is the puppet that I use most often in my shows. It is a really easy sell for adult shows too during which the first ten secons are so important.

Pulling out (as I do ) this 'shell' with arms, legs but no head always gets a laugh at the corporates. When his head comes out it looks so funny half the battle is over. It's always great to have a puppet that looks funny and can get a reaction before any of thelines. Ax are terrific at designing stuff for this very purpose.

I have to admit to not having had him reach down and bring things out of his shell (except for a crushed can of beer once) that much. The very idea that the head goes in and out seems to be funny enough on it's own. I occasionaly have him go down there to check on stuff. This seems to resonate as wel aspulling anything out.

It's a very nicely built, robust puppet. Very professional, special and serious. It's the real deal.

I might get another one Smile

D
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Congratulations to your son Ken Smile

Happy Holidays indeed Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'm goin way off base here and I hope Steve 'The Axe' doesn't put a hit on me...BUT

The Turtle has always been my favorite and it has an attribute which I think could be exploited to a great length IF somebody can figure out how to program some very small christmas lights. When I look at the AX Turtle I see that expansive underside, perfect for an 'Eat at Joes' advertisemnt...BUT just think if you could figure a way to have a Fireworks show (using the lights) go off for a finale. I know...dumb as a stump...just seems a shame to waste that glorius space! (You think I might be an old time adman? Uh yep.)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 22:02, Doug Higley wrote:
I'm goin way off base here and I hope Steve 'The Axe' doesn't put a hit on me...BUT

The Turtle has always been my favorite and it has an attribute which I think could be exploited to a great length IF somebody can figure out how to program some very small christmas lights. When I look at the AX Turtle I see that expansive underside, perfect for an 'Eat at Joes' advertisemnt...BUT just think if you could figure a way to have a Fireworks show (using the lights) go off for a finale. I know...dumb as a stump...just seems a shame to waste that glorius space! (You think I might be an old time adman? Uh yep.)

I know where you're heading and the answer is no....I aint putting 'Higley's Midnight in the Dark Museum' on my turtle shell!

;)
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Billy James wrote:"I know where you're heading and the answer is no....I aint putting 'Higley's Midnight in the Dark Museum' on my turtle shell!"

;)
[/quote]

:lol:
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
No not a real ad!!! haha. (Unless you're doing a Grand Opening.

geesh.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I finally ordered a Turtle from Steve Smile

Ad space for rent Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
You're going to love him Wanlu...let's us know how he fits in the show.

Ken
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hi Ken,

I'm expecting him not earlier than 2-3 weeks Smile Im quite certain that I will like the turtle.

Thanks and yes Ill let everybody know how he fits in the act Smile

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
For those interested I have an axtell turtle for sale in the for sale area. He has only been used a couple of times and is in brand new condition. I rarely use puppets - except for RK Possum! in my shows. Go take a look if you are interested - it does get great reactions I just won't be using him anytime in the near future!

Have a great day!
Chad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Axtell Turtle Puppet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL