The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sponge Balls vs. Coins vs. Billiard Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

Profile of Nathan Hastings
I've personally never gotten around to sponge balls or billiard balls since I've started seriously practicing magic, busying myself mostly with cards and coins. I'm curious as to what's easier to manipulate: Coins, sponges, or billiard balls. Which is the easiest to palm? What about false transfers?

Thanks for your help.
"As my plastic surgeon always said: If you gotta go, go with a smile."

-the Joker
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Perhaps this might help to open up your mind towards picking up new things.

I crafted a mini top hat to work along with the 3D sponge rabbits. This top hat is crafted out of polymer clay. I do a couple of appearance and vanishes with it and from it the sponge rabbit appears. Then multiply them and move towards the main routine.

For your viewing pleasure ...

Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

That's a great idea. Everybody's heard of the cliched rabbit from a hat, but when you produce a tiny sponge rabbit in a little pink hat, it's funny, it's original. I'm sure people love it.

-the Joker
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I thought you would like it. Thanks!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
That's a really good idea James.

As for Nathan's question, sponges are more for close up whereas billiard balls are more to parlor/stage.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Sponge are probably the easiest ones to start with . . .
Cards never lie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This section of the forum is not about manipulation. It's about other types of sleight of hand.

Few people manipulate sponge balls. I don't know why people manipulate billiard balls. Golf balls make more sense.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
James... great item. I can see starting with 3 Tiny hats and doing the old 2 in the pocket one in the hand, climaxing with a BIGGER HAT (LIKE SHOWN) with the Bunny within.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Chicago balls are the only sponge balls I know of to manipulate..Howard
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

I apologize for the confusion, I didn't mean "manipulate" as in stage manipulation I just meant which is the best place to start when you're learning palms and false transfers.

-the Joker
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 11:18, Nathan Hastings wrote:
I apologize for the confusion, I didn't mean "manipulate" as in stage manipulation I just meant which is the best place to start when you're learning palms and false transfers.

Now I am confused, you posted in the Stage Manipulation section of the Café, not in the close-up section. Which are you inquiring about, Stage or Close-up?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sponge balls would be the easiest to learn since the odds of them slipping from your hands like coins of solid balls is relatively small.

Try searching for sponge ball sleights and/or routines. That should set you on the right track.
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

To answer your question, wmhegbli, I posted my question in the close-up sleight of hand section, but it was moved because of my confusing choice of words.

Again, I apologize for everyone's confusion. This is definitely the last time I'll use the word manipulate when not in the stage manipulation context.

-the Joker
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I believe the word - 'billiard balls' used in the subject of the topic relates to manipulation.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I'd start with coins. From my perspective they're all easy to "manipulate." The hardest part is deciding how best to use them in your act. Balls and sponge objects both suggest playfulness. Coins are common identifiable items, all you need is some change and you've got a lead in.
POOF!
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The conventional wisdom is that coins are the hardest, sponges the easiest (though I think thimbles are even easier).

Marc the Magic Man
Sean Ashton
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
15 Posts

Profile of Sean Ashton
Shoot ogawa doesn't make thimbles look easy ... lot's of work done here.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Magicians can make anything hard -- and sometimes beautiful. But the basic sleights, I think are easier with thimbles than with coins, making them a good beginner form of manipulation.

Marc the Magic Man
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Bill mentioned Golf Balls rather than billiard balls - I agree. People are familiar with Golf. I think a silicone Fakini Manipulation Golf Ball is the easiest and most visual slight of hand manipulation ball. They are a little expensive, but awesome. Because of their weight, and texture, I believe they are much easier to manipulate than a sponge ball. My vote - Fakini Manipulation Balls, hands down!
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-08-22 18:43, Pete Biro wrote:
James... great item. I can see starting with 3 Tiny hats and doing the old 2 in the pocket one in the hand, climaxing with a BIGGER HAT (LIKE SHOWN) with the Bunny within.

Thanks, Pete. My routine starts off with micro top hat appearances first before the bigger one appear with the bunny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sponge Balls vs. Coins vs. Billiard Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL