The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Bruce Kalver's Big Mouth Voice Amplifier? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Does anyone have any info on this system?

I'm looking for a quality sound system that won't burn a hole in my pocket. The price on this seems to be okay. =]

I will need it for shows such as Birthday Parties (Outside and Indoors), Small Stage Shows, and things like daycares... Will it be able to be heard from these locations?

Here is the link:
The Big Mouth Voice Amplifier

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
-Vinnie
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have never used one of these and so can't speak from experience. But I do know that this type of unit has been around for a while. Interesting that there is no wattage rating given, only a db (decibel) claim, which isn't all that helpful.

My guess is that this would be OK for some street performers and possibly pitchmen, but for anything more than about a dozen spectators, I think you'd be pushing it. I think these are used mostly by tour guides and so forth.

If your audience is sitting, you might be OK, but if they are standing nearby, the speaker placement might be a problem. If the sound is being produced at waist level, it's going to be absorbed by everyone's body and won't make it to their ears. This is why most PA systems are elevated or on speaker stands -- to get the sound up and out to people's ears. I can also see props like silks and rope getting snared or tangled on the speaker unit, since it's located on your stomach.

There is also, at least for me, the question of the appearance of this system. I want a PA system to be heard but not seen. For me, that means a wireless lapel mike. This one is pretty much "in your face," because you're wearing it. If you don't mind that, then it wouldn't be a problem.

I'd think about saving up a little more money and getting something that will really last and serve you well; you generally get what you pay for. For example, if you will always have access to AC power, you might want to think about a $600 Anchor 30-watt wireless PA, click HERE for more info. If you need cordless & rechargeable battery capability, you might look at the $500 30-watt PASO system, click HERE for more info.

A PA system is a big investment, but a good investment that can pay lots of dividends. You will see a big difference in audience management, and your vocal chords will thank you, too. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Vinnie, I have not heard that system, but if you are looking something to cover all the places you mentioned above (i.e. small stages, outdoors) I personally would look elsewhere. I don't want to put something down without having any knowledge of it, and The Big Mouth Voice Amplifier might be useful for some in certain situations, but it would not work for me.

For one thing, I want a system that will not only amplify my voice, but that will allow me to play music through it as well. Also, there may be times when you need anohther mic input. I use a handheld mic for larger stage shows, for volunteers, and also for my puppet. It looks much better if he is 'talking through a mic'. I will let him peck on the mic and he will say, "Check....check...Is this thing on?" Of course his voice is really coming through my mic but I feel the bit of proving that his mic is on ads to the realism.

Many times at larger festivals I will hook up the handheld early during set up because I sometimes get asked to make some sort of announcement. I usually hand them the mic and let them make the announcement, although I do it sometimes. It has even been used to help locate lost children and for making "Amber Alert" announcements. Most of the time the festival officails seem very appreciative for me providing this service for them.

I have been involved with sound for most of my life, and I have owned a bunch of sound systems so I have a decent knowledge of sound equipment. That being said, I just don't think a unit like the BMVA would have enough amplification, clarity, projection, coverage, etc. to suit me.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Thanks for the help guys!!

What would you guys, or anyone, recommend to me that would fit these specs:

-I'd prefer a wireless headset mic that is thin and isn't real big, but also should have clear and good quality.
-I'd like to have 1 or 2 speakers that have volume control and come with (or can come with) a stand to make them higher.
-Under $700 prefered

And Seth, thanks for the links. I'll keep them in mind but am looking for other opinions at the moment. =]

Thanks guys!
-Vinnie
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1598 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Vinnie,
I use this: http://anchoraudio.com/minivox.php

It's loud, lightweight and I plug my VSM into it for my shows. I use the wireless headset and I found a wireless hand held at Radio Shack that works with one of it's 2 channels. I NEVER leave home without it. Smile

JIM
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Vinnie,

Check out the Carvin Stagemate. It's one of the best "bang-for-the-buck" systems around.
Mister Mystery
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
For $250.00 the Gemini GX350 is great. 200 watts of power.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I have a minivox that I am seeling in the Let's Make A Deal Section if anyone is interested!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I meant selling!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here's another option in a waistband PA: http://www.radios4you.com/hs-116-LG.html
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1598 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 12:26, todd75 wrote:
I have a minivox that I am seeling in the Let's Make A Deal Section if anyone is interested!

Why are you selling?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
When Todd's selling something, don't question it, just buy it. Very reliable gentleman to purchase from and to sell to. I speak from experience.

Steve
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Vinnie:I have owned a several voice enhancers 'very' similar to the Big Mouth.They all sucked.[either tinny sound or stopped working].
This one may be different,but I have found a Great alternative:

I have used this quality product for at least 5 years...for BD's and other small events Including walk around at noisy events[indoor or outdoor].[it's good for groups up to about 30].After about 4 hrs.of use... just charge it up and you are ready to go again.Love it!It has NEVER failed me.

It clips onto your belt at the small of your back,and because it is flat...it wont have a telltale bulge..and it is still powerful enough to be heard!

http://salestores.com/capacopepsy5.html

I also highly reccommend the Pyle Pro PWMA 120 if you want an effective unit for up to 100+ with out breaking the bank.Do a search..Myself and others have commented on it here at the Café.
I have used this many dozens of times and it also has never failed me.
If you have CD music you want to play it has a jack to plug in a CD player.I just copy my CD's to cassete,and I am good to go without an extra piece of equipment.[I travel as light as possible]If you go for it..make sure it comes with the very cool dye cut vinyl case with shoulder strap.

http://tinyurl.com/2lbk2u

Best.
Rich
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1598 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 12:28, Stevethomas wrote:
When Todd's selling something, don't question it, just buy it. Very reliable gentleman to purchase from and to sell to. I speak from experience.

Steve

No, not gonna buy it, I already own one. I was just a little puzzled why he would be selling such a valuable tool.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I had another one given to me by someone who owned me some money. He gave me 2 small systems (one of which was the minivox) and I already own one myself.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1598 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
There's my answer. Smile
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Vinnie, that actually is what the company called Apollo came out with many, many years ago. They manufactured this especially for classroom teachers and public speakers with small forums. I have one down in my basement right now. Do not waste your money on this item. And they also sell for way less at the Apollo website as well. I believe around $ 150.00 but you can find this on ebay for
$ 40.00 or so. If you need something that is inexpensive buy the NADY sound system for around $ 110.00 it is not great but will do the job for really small shows 50 people or less.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
The NADY stinks, I have one for sale, with the wireless lavalier mic. You can have for $50 plus shipping.
The Crate Taxi ($150) with a Memorex wireless mic ($20) is more than you will need. You can the Crate at Same Day Music or Zzounds for that price and free shipping. THe Memorex mic at Target.
This is about the least expense good sound system you can get. And they work out doors when you don't have a place to plug in.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-08-25 23:54, nucinud wrote:
The NADY stinks, I have one for sale, with the wireless lavalier mic. You can have for $50 plus shipping.
The Crate Taxi ($150) with a Memorex wireless mic ($20) is more than you will need. You can the Crate at Same Day Music or Zzounds for that price and free shipping. THe Memorex mic at Target.
This is about the least expense good sound system you can get. And they work out doors when you don't have a place to plug in.

I tried that Memorex wireless headset mike with my Crate Limo amp - worked great! I had some time during my sound check, yesterday, to run it through its paces. It didn't work so well using an unshielded 30' cable - lost the signal after awhile. I thought it best to add the cable, since the receiver has only a 7 meter range and I wanted to minimize the chance of feedback, by getting a little more distance from the amp. I set it up using an impedence matching transformer with a shielded 30' XLR cable and it worked really well. My linking rings sometimes cause static with wireless mikes that I've used in the past. There was no problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Bruce Kalver's Big Mouth Voice Amplifier? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL