The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » NEW GIG (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I'm doing a gig for NARCOTICS ANNONOMOUS....sorry if I spelled it wrong....i was going to just do some coin and cards and mentalism but I figured I would do something new,,,something with a cigarette that's not cig thru quarter or cig up nose...any suggestions???? the gig is next month so I need time to practice...please help.
J Rodriguez
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I would do some stuff using joints. You could also do a spoon bending routine with burnt spoons used to cook crack! = )

Seriously....

If you do a cig routine, floating a lit cig is always a great crowd pleaser. Look at Tom Mullica's work on cigs...if Tom doesn't do it...it doesn't exisit!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Find the Encylopedia of Cigarette magic.

Granted it is a lot of stuff with cigaretts that Mulliaca does not do, but look at it anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Ency. of Cig magic is a GREAT reference also...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks lylemagic..... what kind of thread do you recommend...its for close up
J Rodriguez
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks for the feedback....any routines that you've seen in particular....?
J Rodriguez
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I just use standard inv. thread when I do thread routines...but I hear the spider thread is much stronger...but twice as much money.

I make my own. Go to a craft store and by a spool of WOOLY NYLON. That will get you a lifetime supply of thread for about $10. The downside is pulling it all aprt, but I've never had it snap on me.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 13:37, close_up_act wrote:
. . .what kind of thread do you recommend . . . .

Fireproof thread.

;)
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Wooly nylon....will do...""""what about fireproof"""""
J Rodriguez
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hi, I'm the spoiler. Have you ever performed for these folks before? If not won't everything you do seem new to them?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I think that S2000 was jerkin' your chain.... DOAH!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If You have the Tarbell volumes, there's a nice multiplying routine by Jack Chanin.
Frank Garcia performed a similar routine called 'Cigarama' on an old 'Stars of Magic' tape. The cigs are unlit.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Personally, I would stay away from anything to do with cigs, considering that the NA folks are all struggling with addiction, and cigarettes are very addictive...not to mention that in some circles, cigarettes are considered a drug...let's face it, nicotine is a powerfully addictive and dangerous chemical. This is why I would refrain from using cigs, just my 2 cents.
:) Kaylan
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Kaylan took the words out of my mouth.

Everytime threads like these pop up, I ask myself why? What's the point? Magic is magic to people. Why do you have to do somthing that relates to them? In this case, it relates to them in a bad way.
Grahamprigg
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Grahamprigg
Tony Slydini- Torn and restored ciggarette
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
No I havent performed for them before,,,and for the spoilers....i'm looking for something with cigs that send a message,,,like a "just say no" or "don't do drugs" or something that says, "just quit",,,,i have some "patter material" down I'm just looking for some moves or gimmicks to evolve my "material",,,,,i'm opening with an appearing unlit cig, couple of vanishes and reappearances and I'll probably do something wierd like show the cig box with cigs open and close it and have roaches crawl out of it....you know, the whole nicotine has roach spray chemicals in it....
J Rodriguez
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hi, spoiler here again....and I want you to try to understand what I am going to say.

You are being hired to perform a magic show to entertain the people there. You are not a counciler, a representative of the organization, an expert in addiction, a doctor, or anything besides a magician. Of course if you are any of those things I listed then I change my statement to being 'you are a trained person who is there to do a magic show'. Do you honestly believe that those people are not aware that they should say 'no to drugs'? Do you think they need you to tell them after being told my family, friends, the courts, their doctors and councilers? No, they don't understand that addiction sucks but if you do a cigarette routine and say "smoking is bad" that a light will go off in their heads?

Why do so many think they have to alter their show and presentations to try to match the scenerio? Most people have no scripting, no real show to speak of, they just have a collection of tricks then wing it with references to the situation. This goes for people trying to do kids shows to match every theme.

I suggest you go an do a show and entertain them and leave the other stuff to the pros. I'm sure that the people who work with the junkies will promise not to try doing magic while counciling if you promise not to council while doing magic.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Aaarrggh...close_up_act - you will definitely be insulting most of them if you try that. My guess is most of them smoke - it's just typical for NA or AA goers - they tend to see smoking as the lesser evil, and it's not illegal, etc. etc.

But hey what do I know? Go ahead and do it...let us know how it goes. Obviously you're going to do something with cigarettes...if you have to go that route, then I would do what Grahamprigg suggested

Good luck

PS...
(quote) I'll probably do something wierd like show the cig box with cigs open and close it and have roaches crawl out of it....you know, the whole nicotine has roach spray chemicals in it....(end quote)

Way to endear yourself to the audience! Smile
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
MAGIC SANTA.....thanks for your point of view....your making a lot of sense to me...i never thought of it that way,,i'm use to doing corporate gigs and having there logo or name or slogan some how involved on what I perform....i keep forgetting that I'm here to entertain not make them feel bad.....thanks a ton...keep the feedback coming though...theres books and routines with cigs that I've never heard of,,,,thanks to all who have taken the time to reply...
J Rodriguez
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
MAGIC SANTA.....thanks for your point of view....your making a lot of sense to me...i never thought of it that way,,i'm use to doing corporate gigs and having there logo or name or slogan some how involved on what I perform....i keep forgetting that I'm here to entertain not make them feel bad.....thanks a ton...keep the feedback coming though...theres books and routines with cigs that I've never heard of,,,,thanks to all who have taken the time to reply...
J Rodriguez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » NEW GIG (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL