The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "Monkey Paw!" by Haunting Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Can we all shake paws now?
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Quote:
On 2007-08-26 19:12, Doug Higley wrote:
Baba: No animal was killed? What...they have Leprosy?

Using my quote as written above, on his site he injects that they were not altered by taxidermy...what I meant by cleavor is the addition of a couple of gimmicks to allow for 'magic'.

To stop the PMs from clogging my box (geez guys!) No I don't know Kerry and thus can not endorse his work...no thoughts on it one way or the other (except what I posted in previous post above)...you're on your own. Smile

AS to my stance on animal parts, my thoughts on that are well known BUT as a personal preference only. I do not presume to advise others based on what I believe.

One of 'the guys' eMailed me this site:

http://www.spiritconnectionstore.com/
I notice a Coyote Face is only $4.50...would I use one? Hell no. But you might. Smile

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 9:59am
Gede, just curious, what is you smoke??? looks good ha??

CC
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I think I will start selling tiny crutches for little three-legged animals. Smile (Really, people, I am an animal lover.)

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Nothing to shake Paws over. INSTIGATOR MON.

But I see where my lack of a smiley above in my 'leprosy' comment which was a joke TO YOU, could have been taken as 'smart ass'...and I am never one of those...Instigator Mon...hmmm, I like that... NOTE: Smile

and Cahyo, you don't want to know.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Doug,

But I prefer Chicken Paw (yes, this is real one!!)

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
No animals were harmed in the production of that "cigar." Smile

However, during the smoking of it several cats and dogs, two cows and a horse nearby passed out! Smile Smile

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thank you to Doug and Kerry for bringing severed things into our lives with integrity, style and class. You know, this really is a bizarre forum.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
"Pickin' up paw-paws, put'em in your pocket"
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Baba's Ten Cent seegars make those Eyetalian Stinkers seem downright friendly...in fact the Govt. of France has requested a few cases be sent over to deoderize the Louvre.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Negro please. I would rather kill myself than smoke a cigar under .85 cents. I got class.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'll send you a case of stogies that cost .86 cents...move you up a notch.

:)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I had to throw away two 8" Cohibas recently..broke my heart nearly...
I've asked to be banned
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Why? I'm never talking to you again.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I understand...im barely on speaking terms with myself...

someone came back from Cuba, and bought me a little batch..that and some rum...bless 'em...i thought I'd taken everything home and smoked and drank it all...

until I shifted stuff around at my work-desk...and there they were, year old dusty cohibas like dead men's fingers staring up at me..almost flicking me the Vs in anger...they'd lost their scent and there was nothing I could for them, so I broke their backs and binned them...
I've asked to be banned
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 6:19am
Since I have been asked (and asked myself once), I am open to trades.

I have a couple real Monkey Paws, and I only need one.

These came from a Capuchin monkey that died of old age in a zoo.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I just got one of Captain's Monkey's Paws...
WOW!!!
I'm a big Higley fan, and am the proud owner of one of his mers..and I look at the whole "turf" thing as non-existent. These guys are like VanGogh and Gaughan...they're artist of the same passions yet they have their own styles and approaches to their artform. To think otherwise is silly....
The Monkey's Paw if wonderful, extremely real (it is a real paw after all), and looks like any of the small monkey's hands I saw at the St. Louis zoo last week (which added to the revulsion/fascination when I opened the package)...and it got a look on my wife's face that was priceless! I'll be using it a haunted tour all weekend and it will have a place in my storytelling for the "big kids" crowd from now on. I like it becausee it is easy to slip into a pocket or wear around one's neck. I like the "tweaks" that allow it to be used in different ways as well. VERY versitile.
I did a double take when I opened the package. Coming from a background of ancient traditions when I opened the package and saw how it was prepped I can tell you right now that it made me really wonder.....I think the Captain has a bit of the shaman in this item...
The only thing I don't like... is when it moves in my hand....
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Thanks Chris!

Here are a few handling ideas for the "Monkey's" Paw:

My name is Kerry Cameron, and I assembled the hand (or "Monkey's" Paw). Please understand this is a real fetish, not just a prop. It looks crude because real fetishes are often crude. Fetishes made for tourists are much more refined to appeal to the tourist's pocket book.

What is it? Is it a monkey's paw? Is is a demon's hand? A leprechaun hand? My Great Grandmother gave birth to this stillborn . . .? (Ok, that is going pretty far into yuck). You can call it what you want. What it is is my secret, but it is not the hand of a primate (if you believe me).

The psychological power of this fetish is twofold. It is crude and uncivilized, and it appears to be a very human-like miniature hand - yet very animalistic as well. What is it? That is for you to decide. The power of it resides heavily in your belief in it. As many know, it is often needed to trick people into belief to establish the truth. This fetish is enabled for that purpose too.

MOST IMPORTANT! Since this is, or will pass as, real magic as opposed to a magic trick, it is important to be subtle. Large movements and overacting will kill the moment. LESS IS MORE!

Many people will say this fetish is gimmicked. Whatever you call it, it is important to understand it to explain each part VISIBLE to your audience. Unlike many magic props, these explanations make the fetish even more powerful. Use them with your guests.

Buried inside the fetish is a small magnet. If questioned, you can respond as such: This earthy force helps concentrate the power of the fetish.

Sometimes a bit of iron helps too. Many spirits can be trapped by iron. (thank you for this bit Kay Tracy!). If needed, a small dark, headless nail is provided and can be slipped under the hemp twine. The nail has grooves on it to keep it from slipping.

Also, under the hemp twine is a bent needle. The sharp end is near the wound of this "hand fetish". Do not be worried that an audience member will see it. It is for pricking your finger to provide blood to the fetish, and you can explain this to audience. This is an actual blood sacrifice, and will help satisfy the being that inhabits the fetish. Should your fetish not have a "spirit" associated with it, this blood will attract one. The needle has a 90 degree bend in it, this is for your safety. The bend keeps anything spiritual from entering you when you draw the blood.

The fetish is shipped in salt and sometimes garlic, but neither are needed for preservation. These are traditional ways of both protecting from the "spiritual world" and containing it. In this case it is for both. I highly recommend you keep it in salt, and, if fresh garlic is not available or difficult, dried garlic or even garlic salt can be used. It will help keep the original spirit trapped like a genie in a bottle, and also keep it from destroying the fetish. Some grasses and feathers from some birds help contain and protect too, which is why it is wrapped in them.

A Few Presentation Ideas:

1) PENDULUM: The fetish has a long "tail" on it. By holding this tail, you or a guest can use this as a pendulum while seeking advice from the other world. Rest your elbow on a table and hold the tail so the fetish dangles below your hand, but high enough that it does not touch the table. Concentrate on keeping the fetish still, and ask a "yes" or "no" question out loud. A "spirit" trapped by the fetish should answer by swinging the fetish in one direction for "yes", the and perpendicular to to that direction for "no". If it swings in a circle, it means "I don't know" or "maybe". You need to instruct the fetish what each direction means. Remember, the "spirits" are not all-knowing, nor do they always tell the truth.

In my searches for the perfect pendulum, I have discovered not all string, leather, chain seems to work as well light hemp as the means to dangle the pendulum. Weight of the "cord", as well as stiffness are factors, too. Of course, looks are important, but they are least important, because a good looking prop that doesn't work well is ******!

A light hemp string seems to be perfect for a pendulum as it translates the small movements better than anything else I have found. A heavier cord reduces the movement, a more pliable cord can "absorb" the movement, and a stiff cord seems to dissipate the movement. I do not like chains, because they tend to be both heavy and loose.

The charm you use as the weight needs to be light. A heavier stone or brass fitting will not work as well as something VERY light because they are harder to initially move. Basically, what you want is something that can easily hold the light hemp string straight, without too much more weight. Remember, not everyone's hand movement is the same, and if you want it to work all the time, you need it to be LIGHT. This fetish is designed to be the perfect pendulum.

It is important to carefully choose who will use the pendulum. Look for a "true believer". Also look for someone who particularly wants to use it, and is especially loud and demonstrative.

In the case that the pendulum doesn't work, or work as well as expected, it could be said that it is because of a little reminent of salt still on the fetish. This can be used as an "out".

2) The "Rising Pencil" Gimmick: Sometimes the gimmick needs to be repositioned to use it on your palm. It is wrapped in the twine, so it is easy to reposition. Sometimes a little of the fetish needs to be carefully trimmed down for optimal use. While NOT recommended, if you seek further instruction, feel free to contact me.

3) Candle "Holder": You will find this fetish can hold one of the small, black birthday candles for those over 40. The flickering flame can help set the mood for a seance or ghost hunt.

4) Mentalist Prediction: The hand can also hold a folded or rolled prediction, making things especially eery.

5) Invisible Thread: Because this fetish is so light, it works well with loops and invisible thread. It can move in a jar using the "Wonder Bar" hookup . Place this fetish on top of a "Haunted Deck" for a nice touch.

6) Magnets: The fetish should react well with the "Relic" (from:
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/outlaw/art......mp;pg=95 ) as well as Higley's "Demented All Seeing Eye" (at http://grindshow.com/ ) - I have ordered both of these and have yet to try them. It will definitely work with the M5 magnet and a magnetic ring. Remember - keep the movement SUBTLE!

7) Stigmata: Combine this fetish with Bob Smiths' "Stigmatism" eBook effect (Both "L" and "R" together) should have people screaming. bobsmithpipe@yahoo.com

8) Charm Necklace: This fetish also has a loop on it so it can be worn as a charm. When worn against the skin (be careful for the needle), a temporary state can be achieved where the "spirit" can control your body.

9) Disappearance: If you bend the grass and feathers, then wrap the "tail" of the fetish around the "arm" of the fetish as well as the grass and feathers, a simple French Drop can make it disappear. If played right, this can be very mystical.

10) Cloud Busting: Holding this fetish up toward the cloud when busting the cloud can add a bit more Shamanism to the routine. In the Cloud Busting book, there is a great idea for creating a very visual body effect. You turn beet red. It happens fast, and can be tied into fetish, too. Of course, using the fetish instead of the stone in "RainMaker" gives things a more "tribal" feel. Cloud Busting Secrets (written by Devin Knight & Jerome Finley) and “RainMaker” (by Peter Loughran) can be found at many magic stores.

11) Finding a Coin: You can force a shimmed coin on someone, have them remember the date, then mix it up with similar coins. The hand, when used like a pendulum, can then be drug through the coins to locate the forced coin. Just be subtle.

12) Ferrofluid: OMG it reacts to ferrofluid. I tell people that I have a spirit trapped in this oil, and it will try to escape when the paw is near . . . but the feathers & grass keep it away, and the Holy Water in the glass keep it trapped in the oil. Remember, be subtle. The cheapest place I have found for ferrofluid is http://teachersource.com .

Please send me any other ideas! I will incorporate them and give you credit.

Any patter you develop and would like to share is welcome too!

http://HauntingMagic.com
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Thanks for all the ideas...

Posted: Sep 13, 2007 11:10am
I just got my paw today it is very nice! Holding it is sooo freaky....

now to find a nice box for it.....

Thanks Kerry

Aidan
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Aian...You mean the one I sent for your Birthday? If so that was lightning fast shipping to UK!

Doug
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Lol....looking foward to that paw too!

25 days till yours though...

Aidan
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » "Monkey Paw!" by Haunting Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL