The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Magician Directory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Bonz
I'm still looking for more magicians to register with The Magician Directory (www.magician-directory.com).

The directory is going well with over 400 magicians from every corner of the globe already registered (only another 10,000 or so to go!!).

The directory is free and will always be free, in fact I actually pay for Google Adwords out of my own pocket!. It's something I do as a hobby and I aim to eventually have most of the worlds magicians registered. The site is constantly evolving and may take years to complete.

So whether you have a website or not, take a few minutes to register and become a part what will eventually become the world’s largest online directory of our art.

Dave Bonsall
http://www.magician-directory.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have personally done this and I can verify that what Dave is doing is a great thing for magicians. There is no cost to this at all. Dave is simply trying to give back to magic something special and I think that is very cool and I admire him for doing so. So please take the time to check out the link and also feel free to ask Dave any questions that you may have. I am sure he would be more then welcome to answer them for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Thanks for the back up Kyle.

Those who register will not only get a recipricol link for a powerfully ranked site which will help their rankings, but also those who aren't ranked highly, will have a chance of being at the top of a search engine when a potential client types in 'magicians in xxx'.

...so now come on guys - register, it only takes a second. It takes me much longer to enter all the details!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Thanks Dave
A free directory listing is nothing to shake your stick at. I did it and so far it is worth the price.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Magic Iain
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magic Iain
I had a look at the site and I see no reciprocal links at all. Isn't it just a scam to get a lot of people to link to your site?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I signed up about a year ago!!!!!!!!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dave
I just googled "magician directory" and your web site was #3 on the list. I'm not sure what Iain was talking about, but having a free listing in a directory that is #3 on google is like finding money on the street.
THANKS
Al
Magic Iain
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magic Iain
Al - Thanks for confirming you have no idea what I'm talking about. I thought as much
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Dave -

One thing I don't understand about your website, is why the website addresses of the performers (their urls) are not active links. However, any link on your site to http://www.magician-directory.com or your own personal website is an active link.

Is there a reason for this, or is it just an oversight?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-27 12:58, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Hi Dave -

One thing I don't understand about your website, is why the website addresses of the performers (their urls) are not active links. However, any link on your site to http://www.magician-directory.com or your own personal website is an active link.

Is there a reason for this, or is it just an oversight?

- Donald

Ditto. Also any link from magicians websites would be active links. It should work both ways?

Best,

Tim
Magic Iain
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magic Iain
Thanks guys. Thought for a moment I was just been silly here.

Al seems to think David Bonhall is doing this out the goodness of his heart, to give something back to magic. I don't think he is - I think he's doing it so people can click to his own site
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Quote:
On 2007-08-27 04:54, Bonz wrote:
Those who register will not only get a recipricol link

Can't see any reciprocal links at all apart from links to Bonsall's own site.
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Yes this is a scam. David bonsall has nobodies intersts at heart apart from his own. The links don't work so have no value.

Clever but highly dishonest.

Bad bonsall.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never uderstood these things anyhow. IF you are trying to stand out to your client in the first place, I am not certain even being FOUND ON such a site is a goo didea anyhow.

That is just me though, I am screwy. I mean what you are far more likely to get are the price shoppers, who have a convienent directory to play one against the other with.

Again just me but I don't see the value in it for the way I work personally.

Add this along with the "oversight" as we will call it to give the benifit of the doubt, and it really does not seem to gell too well.

I hope the "oversight" is fixed, as it seems a heck of a coincidence.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Iain
I will admit I'm slow, so why don't you explain to me what Dave is doing that makes you feel the need to protest?
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Hi Guys,

I think you are all taking this the wrong way!! Until about 3 weeks ago, every single link on the site was an active link. I have worked for nearly 2 years on this site, many, many hours a day. I have emailed thousands of magicians and spent literally thousands of pounds on this site. I was advised about a few weeks ago that I was not getting a decent Google ranking because I had so many outbound links on the site and that if I had less the site would receive a higher google ranking and would therefore attract more entries. This I did and yes it is getting a higher ranking. But still, magicians are not finding it and registering.

You can ask any of the longer standing members, up until recently they all had active links. This is just a temporary thing to see if I can attract more members. It doesn’t seem to be working, so all links will be restored asap. This is the reason for reposting on Magic Café. This is only the second time in 2 years that I have mentioned it for fear of being accused of spamming.

If you type in magician in Google, you will see in the sponsored link section, The Magician Directory. This, at the moment costs me £20 a day ($40). Do you really think that I would be willing to pay this if it was a con??

Now that I know that not having active links is putting people off, all links will be restored to active ASAP. Of that I promise!

Guys I promise you that I really am doing this out of my passion for magic, not for my own promotional purposes. If you search for relevant keywords, you will see that I pay for my Google link placement, so have nothing to gain by doing what you accuse me of. I am doing this for the kudos of running the site and for the thank you letters and emails that I receive for the service that I provide. …please don’t be so quick to accuse me of wrong doing without checking out the fax!

Kind regards

Dave Bonsall

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 12:20pm
Quote:

On 2007-08-27 16:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
I never understood these things anyhow. IF you are trying to stand out to your client in the first place, I am not certain even being FOUND ON such a site is a good idea anyhow.

That is just me though, I am screwy. I mean what you are far more likely to get are the price shoppers, who have a convenient directory to play one against the other with.

Again just me but I don't see the value in it for the way I work personally.

Add this along with the "oversight" as we will call it to give the benefit of the doubt, and it really does not seem to gell too well.

I hope the "oversight" is fixed, as it seems a heck of a coincidence.

Hi Danny,

The idea for the site arose from the fact that I had so many friends who couldn't get placed on Google, but the large 'paid for' directories were at the top of every search query regarding magic.

So I figured that I would create a directory that would be area based. So that anyone looking for a magician, lets say in Alabama, would go to Google and type in 'magicians in Alabama' and my site would bring up a list of all the magicians local to Alabama, at the top of Google. The client could then browse the entries and choose the right choice for their function.

I still think this is a really good idea and one that people don't have to pay for.

Does this make sense??

Dave Bonsall
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

One of the reasons I made my comments, was for example, on the page for London (where you are from), there are several links that look like active links (they are underlined), and several links that don't look like active links (they aren't underlined).

However, none of those links worked with the exception of yours, even when they looked like they should have worked.

Of course, I also checked my local area, too, and saw that none of the links there were active either. But they weren't underlined, so it wasn't clear whether they should have worked or not.

Can you explain why some links are underlined and some aren't? I didn't get that either.

- Donald
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Quote:
On 2007-08-27 16:39, Chris Jones wrote:
Yes this is a scam. David bonsall has nobodies intersts at heart apart from his own. The links don't work so have no value.

Clever but highly dishonest.

Bad bonsall.

Hi Chris, before you accuse me of any wrong doing, please think about this for just a moment. Whether there are active links from The Magician Directory or not, a client types goes to say Google, types in a search query looking for a magicians. Say they type "magicians in Nepal".

On the first page in Google is The Magician Directory, listing all the magicians local to Nepal. ....on the sponsored link area on the right of the page, they again see The Magician Directory, listing all the magicians local to Nepal (that I pay for out of my own pocket!!!). They click on the site and they see all the magicians listed in that area, with they're web addresses listed and a complete description of what they do. The client is happy, the magician is happy!!

The magicians listed on that Nepal page spent no money on the listing at all!!! just a few minutes of their time!!! How, in God's Earth!!!! can this in anyway, shape or form be a con??????

Dave Bonsall – very confused!!

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 12:53pm
Quote:

On 2007-08-28 12:33, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

One of the reasons I made my comments, was for example, on the page for London (where you are from), there are several links that look like active links (they are underlined), and several links that don't look like active links (they aren't underlined).

However, none of those links worked with the exception of yours, even when they looked like they should have worked.

Of course, I also checked my local area, too, and saw that none of the links there were active either. But they weren't underlined, so it wasn't clear whether they should have worked or not.

Can you explain why some links are underlined and some aren't? I didn't get that either.

- Donald

Hi Donald,

I completely understand your question, there are 290 pages in the directory!! When I was informed that if I had less outgoing links on the site, I would receive a higher Google ranking, I thought "wow!! that will attract more entries" So I spent nearly 4 hours going through every page and removing the links. All I did was click 'remove hyperlink' some stayed underlined, some didn't. I didn't remove mine. Hey I'm only one link, I spend hours everyday on this site and a small fortune of my own money. I didn't give it a second thought about removing my own link.

This is a world wide directory!!! I’m only listed in 5 or 6 small areas around where I live. 5 or 6 pages out of 290!!!! If I’m going through all of this trouble just to promote myself on 5 or 6 pages, there is something seriously wrong!! The only other links on the page tiny bits at the bottom of the pager where it says the website was created by me.

Even though this move of removing active links has boosted me to the top of Google. It still hasn't boosted the interest of magicians to register. That was a gamble and it hasn't payed off. So as soon as I get back tonight from my gig, I will sit here for 4 hours and restore ALL active links. Just as they were a few weeks ago!

Please trust me Donald, I am doing this to give something back to magic. I earn an incredibly good living from magic and in some ways I do feel guilty about that. I really do want to give something back which is why I am spending all this time, money and effort on this project.

It is only a small minority on this forum that are not happy. I have been inundated with thank you letters from India, Australia and from the US from happy customers. Some even send me free DVD's and lecture notes to extend their thanks!

Kind Regards

Dave Bonsall
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just to be clear, I'm not one of those attacking you, Dave. I just had some questions, so I understand better.

Thank you for being forthright and answering all of my questions. I really appreciate that.

- Donald
Magic Iain
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magic Iain
Dave, I have clicked on your advert a few times because I hear if you get more hits it will improve your site in Google. Others should do the same to help. I don't have a web site myself because I think it just leaves you open for people to spam you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Magician Directory (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL