The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Favourite version of thought of cards across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Try e-mailing Dave via his web site. He was selling his new version of the effect at Blackpool last month.

Paul.
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
There are many, many great versions of this effect. Somes that pop through my mind are Wesley James' The Brownian Movement with ungaffed cards found in Enchantment; Paul Wilson has a pretty good one on his Extreme Possibilities DVDs and Gary Kurtz also had a wonderful gaffed version some years ago. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Yves
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Las Vegas Leaper by Paul Harris-easy,baffling,brilliant,period.

AJ
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Las vegas leaper is a great effect however it isn't a thought of cards across effect,thanks for all the interesting replies.
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
226 Posts

Profile of robinr
Paul Hallas's "Across the Void" is a great resource for anyone who wants to research the Cards Across theme. I especially like the Jacob Daley and Annemann's "Acme Thought Card Pass" and Derek Dingle's "Cards Across Licked at Last." Meir Yedid's "Flight Fantastic" is a very clever trick card version, and so is Paul Hallas's own "Rove no More."
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
Juan Tamariz has an amazing cards across effect in his book Sonata. It can also be found on "Lessons in Magic" volume 1.

One of the ideas that he uses in this effect can be found in Thompson's book, "My Best".

Rudy
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
Paul Wilson's "thinking It Over"
The GingerBread Man
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of The GingerBread Man
I make my own way of doing Zens thought of cards and envelopes.

People really are surprised by this and it is all clean at the end.

I learned it first from a book called my best by Mr. Thompson.

G.B.M.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-03-27 17:51, The GingerBread Man wrote:
I make my own way of doing Zens thought of cards and envelopes.

People really are surprised by this and it is all clean at the end.

I learned it first from a book called my best by Mr. Thompson.

G.B.M.

"My Best" contains one of the best descriptions of the Zens effect, but you'd probably appreciate my comments in "Across The Void" which is available from H & R Books.
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
I'm not familiar with many versions, but I enjoying performing Daryl's Double Crossed. I also plan to try out the ungaffed version in Bill Malone's On the Loose DVD set.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
I am also a big fan of Double Crossed by Daryl. Very few sleights and the spectator names which two cards they want to go- after they are holding them!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The latter is one of many versions discussed in "Across The Void".

Paul.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'd like to tell everyone that is a fan of this plot to get "ACROSS THE VOID" by Paul Hallas. It's so well written and filled with history and plots.

If you perform any version of this effect, this book is a must have. I'm dyslexic and wouldn't know it by how well this book is written.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I like Denny Haney's version. It takes a great deal to hold my attention with a deck of cards, and he had my full attention. I have to dig up my notes on the handling, from when I attended a seminar that he conducted last year.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I do Jay Sankey's Astral Projection and it's a winner every time!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Now I only dabble in card sleights these days..but, I really like Michael Ammar's version of cards across. You need envelops to do the effect..but it ends super clean.
Self concept is destiny..
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I worked for a long time trying to come up with a thought of cards accross for a stand-up parlor environment.

Let me start by agreeing that Paul's "Across the Void" is a must read if you want to really learn a cards accross routine, of any kind.

Now, I had seen Zen's cards across and I bought the WGM video as well for cards across, because I knew Ammar had a version on there. I am sure Ammar's version looked good, but there was a great deal I did not like about it.

1. The envelopes were not in play at the beginning.
2. The spectators could not handle the envelopes ahead of time.
3. The second set of cards was counted by the Performer, not the spectator. That screamed foul to me, but that is just me.

Many of the cards across effects in this Genre are very nice, because they are "sleightless". However, to me, there are sacrifices that must be made to go sleightless. I didn't want to fall into the "too perfect" web, but I wanted to work on a method that fit my criteria, which was "If I was really doing what the spectators were seeing, what would it be."

So after reading and looking I came up with the following criteria:

1. A single deck is used, can be borrowed, no additional cards needed.
2. Only two envelopes are used, and they are given to a spectators to hold from the beginning.
3. The spectators both count X cards.
4. Two, or one or whatever number you want are remembered by the audience. Of course they could be signed, but for an already longer type effect, I saw this as just filler. (Actually, now that I think about it I think I stuck with 2 thought of cards going across)

So, that is what I finally came up with. Now, to do this, the effect is a little more "sleighty" then the normal versions I read, and I had to do a lot more choreographing.

My point is, read all the stuff available, and decide what you want from the effect. There are so many versions out there, each with Pros and Cons. They are all good.

Before this I would use Red Sea Passover.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Point of Arrival from Martin Lewis is clever..From his Close
up Miracles dvd....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Favourite version of thought of cards across (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL