The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Haunted Deck - is their an un-gimmicked deck routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Howdy,

Im looking for the haunted deck routine (the one without the gimmick. I heard it can be done but I've had no luck finding it. To avoid exposure, PM me if you know the secret or know where I can buy it. (I am willing to trade for it)

StreetWalker
"The ability to amaze those who don't care is better than the ability to amaze those who do."
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
The haunted deck is not a gimmick deck, it can be done with any deck of cards.
david walsh
View Profile
Regular user
Bonnie Scotland
183 Posts

Profile of david walsh
There are many versions of this effect, some are gimmicked decks and some use regular or borrowed decks. Most of the versions that use a regular deck involve introducing a utility gimmick (most of the time this is much the same gimmick), these can be well routined and made to be instantly reset.

I personally only know of one that can be done with a borrowed deck and nothing else. You will find it in Derren Brown's book " Pure Effect". At first read it may sound a little crude, with a little practice you will notice that it does get the usual eary reactions.
David.
Ryan
View Profile
New user
Calgary
89 Posts

Profile of Ryan
You may want to try a product called loops, which can be purchased at your local magic vendor. This utility comes with instructions for a haunted deck that can be done with a borowed deck.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Eugene Berger has a great version. He details the workings on his "Eugene Goes Bizarre" video. It's also in one of his books. Can't remember which one. I'll look when I get home.

Mark Smile
What would Wavy do?
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
See on John George's video "The Valentine Pack". This is an ungimmicked deck, super clean version of the haunted deck. The deck cuts itself around the card, then the card hops out of the deck face up on the table. Think "loop". Contact John at http://www.johngeorge.com or from your favorite dealer.
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
There is a version in the book The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel that does not use a gimmick. My favorite is the Valentine pack mentioned by Doug Brewer, but that does use a utiliy gimmick that you can get alot of mileage out of.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Paul Curry's book "Special Effects" has just what you are looking for.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Let's add to the list "Kulini Rising".It uses any (borrowed deck)and can end clean..
Gary

Sorry "Kudlini Rising"
trilam
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of trilam
It is actually "Kundalini Rising" by Jeff McBride, great effect but more of a rising card effect than a haunted pack.
My favorite by FAR is using LOOPS. This can (should) be done with a borrowed deck, and I even have the spec hold the deck as the haunted action happens. Knocks their socks off. It doesn't get any better than that, if only the loops were more durable...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
There is a pseudo way to do it with little grains of a material used by dentists. Similar to mini ball-bearings... you use it like the old "salt" location... wobble the table and the deck cuts at the "stuff".

The BEST, IMHO, gimmicked deck is finn jon's ESOTERIC... A MIND BLOWER. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Pete,

Is there a reason you recommend the dentist material over the more easily obtainable salt?

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Hi Turk!

You have to work a little more, with the salt, to get the movement to look right. Remember, the salt crystal has hard edges and angles.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
When using the salt...place the deck flat on your hand. You can wobble or tilt your hand less noticably than the table method.

Jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
IMO, Mesika's version is superior to the "Valentine Pack," and Varone's version (marketed by Henry Evans) is superior to "Kundalini Rising" (but doesn't use a borrowed deck unless you ring the gimmick in to an identical deck). Esoteric kills too.
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
There actually a ton of borrowed deck version using no gimmicks. One of which I saw on Hocus Pocus Magic. they are everywhere! Jusat search the sites. There are also various handlings in books or videos.
????.....Yeah
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
286 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
There is really and excellent version in Bertram on Sleight of Hand.

Steve
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, there are so many versions of the haunted deck out there that an entire book could be composed of just them. I've even seen some methods that you can actually see what's making the deck move, yet it still seems kind of magical. One in particular that comes to mind if a version in which a rubber band is wound around the deck, The deck twists and what ever card(s) you want pop out. It's pretty cool. I forget who's that is though.

Whenever I hear someone talk about the haunted deck with loops. I always agree that it is a great method and a cool effect. I also get the urge to point out the advantages of using an ITR for the haunted deck.
One of the biggest advantage is that you don't have to keep your hands close to the deck. Imagine having the selected card(s) returned to the deck. Placing the deck on the floor or table (Even in their hands). Stand up and then cause the deck to move. So you don't have to be near it.
All the while you have complete control and you can actually tell the deck to stop moving and it does. Then you make it start again. Thus proving you have complete control.
I'm not putting the loop method down at all. It's great! I just like to do the effect with the ITR better and that is one of the main reasons why. It is only a personal preference though.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I use John Leclair's method from his 'who's afraid of IT' you can use a borrowed deck and the 'animation' is as fast or slow as you want it to be. Smile
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On 2003-02-11 01:38, Pete Biro wrote:

The BEST, IMHO, gimmicked deck is finn jon's ESOTERIC... A MIND BLOWER. Smile

Pete, can you (or anyone else that performs this version) tell me a bit more about why you think highly of it? I use the version as performed by Burger so I'd be interested in knowing what the difference is.

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Haunted Deck - is their an un-gimmicked deck routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL