The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Haunted Deck - is their an un-gimmicked deck routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
I like Burger's routine the best of any haunted deck. It's great.

Ian
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
If you're looking for a not-exactly gaff-less, but at least threadless version of Haunted Deck, you might want to check out Doug Edwards' take at it ("Really Haunted," available from tannensmagic.com).

One caveat: it does require a tabletop to do it per the instructions (although an in-the-participant's-hands version is possible).
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Bukka
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Bukka
A rubber band version called Impromptu Haunted Deck is in Modern Close-up Card Problems by Joseph Scmidt. It´s credited to Scmidt and Karl Fulves. The trick also appeared in Pallbearers Review in January 1974.

/Tommy
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
John MacMillan...

Finn Jon's Esoteric. The effect, as seen by audience.

3 Cards selected, placed back into the deck in 3 separate locations.

Deck placed on the FLOOR... Magician "mimes" taking an invisible thread and hands it to a spectator on right and says, "Pull" the top part of the deck moves toward he/she and moves back, leaving selected card protruding.

Repeat with other two, one at left, one straight ahead.

Believe me, this is SPOOKY... easy to do too.

I "nailed" Karrell Fox with this at a trade show one time... did it right out in the lobby of Cobo Hall, Detroit, and by the time I finished the routine had 50 or so people standing around watching.

Trick is available from Stevens Magic. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Thanks Pete, with that terrific endorsement I had to find out more for myself. I placed an order with Stevens today......keep an eye out for your referral comission check!

Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Loops are a bit fiddly for me. I prefer a gaffed deck.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Pete Biro also has a very funny yet effective way of finishing his "haunted deck" routine. For anyone here that is not aware, if Biro speaks, you should listen very carefully. He has forgotten more magic than most will ever learn in their lifetimes.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Chris Larson
View Profile
New user
Sacramento Ca
20 Posts

Profile of Chris Larson
Earl Nelson has a very good way of doing this, in his Variations book called the haunted card. I have seen this done in person by Earl and it is in my opinion the best non gaffed version, that I have ever seen.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
For the sake of completeness there is a version called Twister from Robert Swadling (an extremely kind gentleman) that uses no thread. It is gimmicked though.

My favourite remains Nick Einhorn's "Spooked". Without exception, anyone who has seen it wants it. It is difficult, it uses an utility gimmick, but it adds all the advantages of former methods and effects: Borrow a deck, have it shuffled, let them take a card, let them put it back, put the deck on the floor or table, wave your hands...the deck cuts by itself and the card SPINS out, sometimes 2 or 3 feet! Everything is examinable! Good Lord what an awesome effect!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Dan,
I see Hank Lee has "Spooked" available http://hanklee.org/xcart/customer/produc......p;page=1 It sounds very interesting. You said it is difficult, is it practical? I mean if you invest the time and effort to master this effect is it something you might include in table hopping? Thanks.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
dlcarr50
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of dlcarr50
If anyone is interested, I have a gimmicked haunted deck that doesn't use the normal haunted deck gimmick. I'm not sure where i got this gimmick, I can describe it if any one want to pm me. The deck can be handed out with the gimmick in the deck. I know the original question is about non gimmicked decks but I thought I would throw this out. I only want people to pm me that will preform the effect, not people that just want to know the secret.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Bob, It is totally practicle. It is difficult in a sense that threadwork is difficult. You have to live with the gimmick to get the right feel of it. It is not difficult as in "one-handed-bottompalm" though.

To me Einhorn's trick comes close to perfect-cardtrick.
IMHO the ONLY reason this thing is not picked up worldwide is that Nicholas doesn't seem to be an aggressive marketeer, which is all the better...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Tom Gaddis
View Profile
Regular user
Maui
143 Posts

Profile of Tom Gaddis
StreetWalker,

Check out "The Mechanical Deck." It's part of The Ron Bauer Private Studies Series. It uses any deck and has a great story.

You can see a couple of 30 second videos of it at http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com

Click on the cover, then click on the illustrations to see the video.

Tom
"The dumber people think you are. The more surprised they'll be when you kill them."
jErMZ
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of jErMZ
I have seen and I do an ungimmick haunted deck effect with borrowed cards.,. its from derren brown in his devil's picturebook series.,. one of the best I have seen strongly recommended.,. and I must say he's very good in sleight of hand not to mention his mentalism.,. check it out.,.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The original Al Baker routine is very strong...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
You can check out McBride's version with a gimmick from Kundalini rising. It's in the magic of jeff McBride videos. And you can also check out al baker's haunted pack in Michael Ammar's etmcm vol 3
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Derren Brown, (yes the mentalist), does a very good haunted deck and it's impromtu.
it's a bit knacky but works well on laymen. Check out his video.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I wondered, nobody mentioned Charlie Miller, who, AFAIK, was the very first to puiblish a version of using a normal deck for this effect..
IIRC, one could call it a *little finger* ruse handling..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Paul Harris has a nice haunted deck routine in his AOA set all you need is a deck and a rubberband.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I just recalled -it is stuffed away somewhere, so I can't recheck- Charlie Miller did publish his entierly impromptu handling in one of Magic Incs./Ireland/Marshals Yearbooks, must have been in the late 1950s or early 1960s..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Haunted Deck - is their an un-gimmicked deck routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL