The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Odd Situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Don't know this particular situation but it brings me to some of my personal rules regarding working in Restaurants.

1- I don't work for tips. Some waitstaff believe you are cutting into their paycheck. All my tips that cannot be turned down are given to the waitstaff at the end of the night. By giving money to the Restaurant staff, there is no way they can feel upset that you are working there. Restaurant patrons also believe they are getting more dining room "bang for the buck" in the form of magical entertainment when they don't need to tip an additional "employee". I always ask for a salary that I would be happy to earn while employed there.

2- I "cold call" the tables in the Restaurant, between the times when patrons are eating. Don't make the Restaurant staff work any harder than they already have to. You are now asking them to add to their tasks by arranging for your performing venues. Part of your job and responsibility is to make things easier for the staff. You need to cover for kitchen delays, patrons waiting to be seated, unexpected problems and add entertainment for those who may not even know that they WANTED to see magic at the Restaurant. Should a Hostess be expected to forsee all these issues? Maybe so, but YOU are the one most qualified to be that person.

I know that many Magicians may not agree with my opinion here but it has served me well. It is my opinion only.

By the way- Best of luck!

Make the dining experience a great, fun time for everyone there.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Just a thought as to Cory's problem...

He never told us how much he was getting paid...which leads me to believe that he is working strictly for tips. That may be the issue here, as it would then make perfect sense why people may be annoyed with him.

Cory, nothing personal. Just my thoughts.

Best.
Steve
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
106 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
Cory, you could also tell the girl, if she plays her cards right she could be a box jumper in Vegas someday. Keep em happy.....
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay, I'll tell you what likely happened. He asked the girl to tell people the magician would be over. She looked up, no magician, he's over in a corner getting ready to get back to performing. She asks him why he isn't at a table and decides that if he is going to be sitting in the corning rather than working tables she isn't going to promise he would be working them and I don't blame her.

I'm ashamed you all didn't recognize the brilliance of the Kathy Lee Gifford reference.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 23:28, MagicSanta wrote:

I'm ashamed you all didn't recognize the brilliance of the Kathy Lee Gifford reference.

Yea...I got it...and even though I agree...it was NOT that brilliant.It's like someone calling themself a genius....that's for other's to decide......not the one making the proclamation!

No cookies and milk for you this year SANTA!!!

:)
Rich
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Sometimes you have to lead a horse to water and make 'em drink....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The reference made me chuckle. Only because I was already in a good mood LOL.

It was too old to be brilliant. But still nice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I think you read my signature incorrectly.. O 'Copernicus'.
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 21:06, Magic_Steve wrote:
Just a thought as to Cory's problem...

He never told us how much he was getting paid...which leads me to believe that he is working strictly for tips. That may be the issue here, as it would then make perfect sense why people may be annoyed with him.

Cory, nothing personal. Just my thoughts.

Best.
Steve

Hey Steve,

This is not the case. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Odd Situation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL