The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uh Oh...Wrong language (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What tricks would you perform for an audience who did not speak the same language as you?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Sam the Bellhop
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 03:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Sam the Bellhop

That would be My choice too! LOL! But!

Magic doesn't always need a lot of talk for people to understand it. Example sponge balls. Look at spectator hold out your hand palm up and motion to them todo the same place ball(s) into there hand gently start to close there hand for them and they will understand what there todo. It's not hard to perform for non english speaking people. You more then likely will find much of what you do will work and only a few things won't work well.

If your doing illusions then you really don't have much of a problem at all really. They can see what is happeneing and don't really need the abillity to understand what you are saying. True it can help for them to understand quicker if they do but it is not necessary that they understand english.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
On a less flippant note, sponge balls for sure. Maybe a copper/silver/brass, matrix, coins across, ambitious card...

To look at it as a big picture philosophical question, as opposed to "What's a good list of tricks?" I'd consider it this way - you've lost the ability to VERBALLY ascribe meaning to the magic; how can this be compensated for? The best answer to this is probably that you need highly visual effects; effect that, put simply, don't NEED the verbal (mental) explanation - they speak for themselves. I'd also look for effects that occur in the spectator's hand, at least partially (even the amibitious card, if you do a finale where they cut the deck and turn over the last card).

This is also a valuable lesson for people (like me) who are occasionally guilty of excessive patter. Keep it simple, direct, & visual. If you really do that, I strongly suspect you'll find that the lack of a common language is less hindering that you would have thought. I'm reminded of the early Magic Castle visits of Shoot Ogawa, when his English was much more limited. Believe me, NOBODY cared.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Sam the bellhop!! I hope that was sarcasm! Its a story trick!

Do things that are very very visual and things you can mime to get the todo like sponges...mime them closing there hand into a fist and turning it around...ambit card...wow...ect ect!

M:C
titus590
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of titus590
Sponge balls or anything visual where they know whats happening without you having to talk. Greed is one of my favorite tricks along with 3 fly
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ones they can follow. I suggest you do your patter anyway. The reason for this is, if you did your job and learned things to a script, you have a certain rhythm built into your presentation. Good luck.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 00:38, MagicSanta wrote:
Ones they can follow. I suggest you do your patter anyway. The reason for this is, if you did your job and learned things to a script, you have a certain rhythm built into your presentation. Good luck.

Excellent advice!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Fauna Gob
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Fauna Gob
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 19:32, Matt Colman wrote:

It's called a Joke, it's what funny people do.

Fauna Josh
I'm the hiphopapotamus, my rhymes are bottomless, sounds a little preposterous, spewing from my esophagus.
But, my ryhmes are so potent that during this small segment, I've made all the women in the last three threads pregnant.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Well that wasn't very funny.

Josh Matt Cowman
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I admit I chuckled.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Do you have your license to be amused? You can't laugh or chuckle, giggle, or smile with out one here.

Failure to show license after being amused is three weeks punishment with Jolly Roger.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
You only need a provisional to chuckle.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
GRRRR! You've been working on twanging those braces Mr fancy pants new age scientolgist lawyer! I want my money back corona! I was innocent! I did not mean to kill the rabbits!
Fauna Gob
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Fauna Gob
The Kale was POISONED!

Fauna
I'm the hiphopapotamus, my rhymes are bottomless, sounds a little preposterous, spewing from my esophagus.
But, my ryhmes are so potent that during this small segment, I've made all the women in the last three threads pregnant.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
But by who?
MagicMan11
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMan11
Lol Sam the Bellhop. Thanks for the laugh.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 09:01, Fauna Gob wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 19:32, Matt Colman wrote:

It's called a Joke, it's what funny people do.

Fauna Josh

Then you are not qualified. Put the joke down and step away from the keyboard.

What you want to do is a vanished and reversed spelling trick.
Possibly a book test.
Mind reading.
The list is endless and would take years to type it all out.... so buckle in, I'm gonna blow your mind.

Oh, South Park is on. Bye..
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Uh Oh...Wrong language (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL