The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Is gospel magic always story magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
In my home country, Sweden, gospel magic is virtually unknown so I'd be very glad if you could tell me a little bit about this particular branch of magic.

Looking at gospel magic from a distance it seems to me that almost all routines are of the story magic variety: "This silk represents God and this rope represents Jesus", etc. Are there any gospel magic acts that use a more structured and theatrical approach? Perhaps something along the lines of standup comedian Ellen Degeneres' signature piece "Phone call to God".
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Gospel magic has a purpose; to illustrate, illuminate, educate, edify and or entertain with a Biblical message.

The Bible is written in story fashion and many of Christ's illustrations were parables, or stories. So it would not seem to be unusual that most Gospel magic themes use a story approach.

But I am sure that there are many, (I do a number of performances that are more presentational and theatrical than story line based) Christian magicians that use structured, theatrical presentation styles.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
As performers it is our license to remake the shoe (magical effect) to fit the person.
I have always looked at the effect and worked, brainstormed from there. There is no right or wrong way, in all truth, define the needs of your audience and let your creative juice flow...

Great Luck and prayers do get answered!

AmazingBoz Smile
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
AmazingBoz, thanks for your encouragement. However, I don't plan to start performing gospel magic. I just want to learn more about it.

I find it very fascinating that you point out that "prayers do get answered". To me this is very much the essence of magical thinking: trying to control our destiny using supernatural means. Magic and religion certainly have much in common. And that's why I'm curious to know if there is anyone who, within a religious context, uses magic in other ways than to illustrate a story.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2208 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I agree with Bro..

Christ used all sorts of stories to get his message across and he is God!
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
135 Posts

Profile of lhughes
I suspect that we are on the cusp of gospel magic today. Although I have only seen story telling routines used, I suspect there are other approaches, they are just not in full bloom yet.
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I have seen a lot of magic routines that are just magic routines known to all magicians that have been turned into Gospel routines. Also, there are tricks that you can buy, such as the magic coloring book, that just change pictures into those along religious lines. So to answer your question, not all Gospel magic is story magic. True that about 99% of it is, there are routines that you can do with a Gospel theme that doesn't have a story that you have to have go with it.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I don't even try to make my patter for each trick bring out a Biblical truth. Sometimes it will, sometimes it would just be too forced. I make a presentation of effects, all of which should be impossible, right? And I close with a short message about impossible things - It is impossible for us to be friends with God because of sin, it is impossible for us to make up for our own sin, and it is impossible for us to live the way God wants us to. All of these can be accomplished with God. "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." I found that if I try to turn each trick into a sermon what I come up with is neither outreach or entertainment of a very high caliber.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Well said Impossible man. If you try to force a message on a trick it loses something. But I do know that if God gives a gift to use for him, he will provide the message. Smile
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
Pit_Finn
View Profile
New user
Seneca, SC
12 Posts

Profile of Pit_Finn
I do not change each effect to a "Gospel message" trick. I usually do the first half of the "show" in a normal way and find a way before the bullet catch to talk about my life and how Jesus did miracles in my life. I rather show the audience what Jesus did in my life. Just hearing bible stories did not bring me to Jesus either....

Pit Finn
-------------------------
http://www.pitfinn.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Greetings, I have been told that I am doing gospel magic, or ministry even when I am not sharing something specifically related to it. (gospel magic)

Sometimes we are the only Bible a person may "read." I am not a person that can quote the bible.

Here is a true nearly normal experience.

I was returning to my car with my magical wife Annie. I had forgotten I was wearing my Parody of the Budweiser Commercial (Bud - Weis - ER/Frogs)

My shirt has 3 frogs with the Script
God's
Wise
Er.....

A person who had been at the show stopped me and commented on the shirt. He then asked me where it was from. I told him I did not know. He then started to tell me of his own ministry and quoted many bible versus.

I listened while he talked quite awhile. My wife (one who can quote AND LIVE the quotes)shared one line from the bible. I can't remember what it was.

She later told me she thought the man was judging me for not being able to answer his simple question. I do not know if he was or wasn't. For me I go with a quote from my friend who was a former agnostic.

He likes to say,

Your God and my God may not be the same (or same name) but I bet they are Friends.

In His Name.
You are appreciated by,
Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
http://www.nearlynormalmagic.com
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Is gospel magic always story magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL