The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Favorite CLOSERS! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Wrobg Ring/ Ring in nest of Gizonta Boxes
Self floating földing bill
Flying bill
tie or watch steal
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Card on my Heiney......now that would be a great closer. Do the classic magician in trouble, then walk away......and there is their card..... lol

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
I will always close with a money trick so as the cash is already on the table (hint hint hint).

Ok, I've delayed this long enough. I wanted to comment on this last week but have been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, so here it goes......

I actually avoid this technique like the plague. I don't want to do ANYTHING to make my guests feel like they HAVE to tip me. I've talked with some of my "regulars" and they confirmed that if I made them feel like they had to tip me every time, then they wouldn't want me to pay them a visit. I do NOT want this. I'd rather them have a great time and tell the management what a great job I did than make them feel like they have to tip me 5 bucks.

By suggesting that they tip you can actually drive them away, making them not want to come to your restaurant. By doing this, you are defeating the whole purpose of the restaurant having you there in the first place.

IMHO, it's much better to pitch the restaurant (this is what I do) with the idea that you don't solicit tips, that you understand that if an entertainer did this that they would drive the guests away. This is what sets YOU aside (makes you different) from all the other "entertainers" that do what you do.

IMHO of course. Smile

JIM
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
SoCalPro (Jim),
Times like these when I wish I had more than two hands so I could applaud even louder. I wanted to comment on this when I first read it also, but figured this topic has been hashed and re-hashed so many times, that those that "get it", already "got it", and those that don't "get it"...never will.
Patrick
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2007-08-30 20:57, Magicusa wrote:
I like card on ceiling.

I like magician on ceiling. It kills.
mrsmiles
(UK)
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 00:59, SoCalPro wrote:
Quote:
I will always close with a money trick so as the cash is already on the table (hint hint hint).

Ok, I've delayed this long enough. I wanted to comment on this last week but have been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, so here it goes......

I actually avoid this technique like the plague. I don't want to do ANYTHING to make my guests feel like they HAVE to tip me. I've talked with some of my "regulars" and they confirmed that if I made them feel like they had to tip me every time, then they wouldn't want me to pay them a visit. I do NOT want this. I'd rather them have a great time and tell the management what a great job I did than make them feel like they have to tip me 5 bucks.

By suggesting that they tip you can actually drive them away, making them not want to come to your restaurant. By doing this, you are defeating the whole purpose of the restaurant having you there in the first place.

IMHO, it's much better to pitch the restaurant (this is what I do) with the idea that you don't solicit tips, that you understand that if an entertainer did this that they would drive the guests away. This is what sets YOU aside (makes you different) from all the other "entertainers" that do what you do.

IMHO of course. Smile

JIM

There is nothing wrong with pitching tips and many working pros do it without any problems. If you choose to avoid tips that's fine. If you suggest tips to your customers that's fine too. There is a right way to pitch tips and a wrong way. Some people have the talent some don't. Some people feel comfortable doing it and make their customers feel comfortable when doing it and some don't. Its not a black and white issue. You can't simply say its wrong to suggest tips. Its been proven by many working pros that it can be done successfully and at a great benefit to them. All you can really say is that you don't feel comfortable doing it.

I really have a problem with you pitching to your restaurant that magicians who solicit tips drive customers away. This is absolutely not true and you pitching this to your clients is an open slam against your fellow magicians. I think I would rethink this tactic.

, Jonathan
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Would card on door be a "closer" trick?.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Every single table where they have not seen me before, my closer is ambitious card/card in wallet. I usually only plan on 2 tricks at a table. If there is still time before the food arrives, I may go into something that involves their hands; usually Charming Chinese Challenge or Copper/Silver. If they really enjoyed me, and I have time, I return after dinner and perform cups and balls, chop cup, or unshuffled. I let them know that this is something special and not everyone sees it. That usually does the trick and out comes their wallet.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
My closers are chop cup, interlace, or ambitious card to kennedy box.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Do people really do cups and balls, Benson’s Bowl routine, or a Chop-cup routine while table hopping in a restaurant or table hopping at a party? Do you use the table top (where people are eating or going to eat)? I envy you your pocket management and ability to frame these tricks at a table with the super bad angles.

Sometimes my closer is my opener because the food arrives and I have to move on (in a restaurant). Sometimes I actually get a three trick set in (not as often as I would like in a restaurant).

For party table hopping it is easier to get a three (or more) routines in.

I tend to do a signed card to wallet closer (following a brief ambitious card routine). Borrowed ring off string to wallet or borrowed ring to key ring (Ring Flight) sometimes works for me too.

I stay away from any prop that requires a table top or leaves a mess to clean up (card to ceiling can turn into 51 card pick-up and if the deck doesn‘t fall precisely it can cause an embarrassing moment).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Kammagic,
I think we can agree to disagree on this one as I don't see either of us backing down. The subject of accepting tips has always been a touchy topic with me. Some NEED to solicit tips, I do not. My restaurants pay me enough each night. If the guests have to pay for the meal, tip the server AND tip the entertainment....that is a bit too much. IMO soliciting tips is tacky and I won't do it. I don't EVER want to make the guests feel like they HAVE to tip me, that's just wrong. In fact, on the rare occasion that I pull out a balloon or two and the guest give me a DOLLAR, I feel guilty. I don't want their money. I want them to have a great time so that they tell their friends (and they do) and come back to see me again and again. You could be David Lame but if you can't keep the restaurant guests happy, you won't be employed there very long.

Listen, I'm not saying that my way is the right way, these are just my work ethics. To each his own.

JIM
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Hey Harry,
I used to think the same way you did. But like I said I only do the cups AFTER the meal, if it is a table who really enjoyed the magic or maybe a VIP. The only thing that gets set on the table is an empty card box, with which I will sometimes do Paul Cummins card under box routine.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To avoid the tip debate I will just say I never mention them, but they absolutly know they can tip me. I think that the idea of putting money out there is really an urban legend more than anyhting. I know all the stories and yada yada but really it makes no sense.

Here is one reason why I get tipped a LOT and almost everyone overlooks it. I work after the meal. The bill is down. They are already conisdering paying, and compensating the server. Seems natural that the subject of money is already in their mind. Trust me guys this move ALONE will help and you have no reason to do anything else to make the point.

I have servers who always help when asked by guests if they can tip me, other things, but it never seems to come from me. That is the key really.

Just the simple timing of WHEN they see you will help huge. Think about it, during salad who is thinking of tipping at all? But when the bill hits the table, everyone is. It is one reason I work as I do.

Another thing is if you work by request people feel more inclined to tip you anyhow. Heck they REQUESTED you come over much like they would a song on the piano. That being said I don't work family type places so the atmosphere is far different. But all these things matter.

My methods would not work in MOST places guys work. I know this, and it is why I am confining my responce only to me and the places I work. Everyone else does what they do. Makes it a great world.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
My problem isn't how to ask for tips or if you should or shouldn't. I know how to do it and do it well. My problem is with the guys who choose not to suggest tips telling me and the rest of the Café that its wrong. The act of suggesting tips isn't wrong. Its part of the business strategy of many successfull working pros. But there certainly is a right and wrong way to do it. I don't suggest tips because I NEED them. Its not because I am down and out and need the extra cash as you so cleverly insinuated SoCalPro. I do it because its a viable way to increase my profits. If I told you right now that there was a way to increase your profits by 50-100% and if you learn to do it correctly does not make anyone feel uncomfortable, does not chase customers away, does not interfer with anything you currently do. It would be silly not to learn how to do it correctly and enjoy the extra income. If you currently have a cash flow coming in from tips great! But if you choose to avoid them comepletely you are missing out on a huge income opportunity.

, Jonathan
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well Jonathan lets agree there is NO SUCH THING as "extra moneey" LOL.

I am telling nobody how to do what they do, only saying what I do. What most do will not work at places I work, and what I do won't work at places they work.

The world goes on happy.

Even with the way I went for tips I will say without question I needed them. I did not increase income by 50-100%, but actually by FAR MORE.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 12:24, SoCalPro wrote:
Kammagic,
I think we can agree to disagree on this one as I don't see either of us backing down. The subject of accepting tips has always been a touchy topic with me. Some NEED to solicit tips, I do not. My restaurants pay me enough each night. If the guests have to pay for the meal, tip the server AND tip the entertainment....that is a bit too much. IMO soliciting tips is tacky and I won't do it. I don't EVER want to make the guests feel like they HAVE to tip me, that's just wrong. In fact, on the rare occasion that I pull out a balloon or two and the guest give me a DOLLAR, I feel guilty. I don't want their money. I want them to have a great time so that they tell their friends (and they do) and come back to see me again and again. You could be David Lame but if you can't keep the restaurant guests happy, you won't be employed there very long.

Listen, I'm not saying that my way is the right way, these are just my work ethics. To each his own.

JIM

I don't disagree with you. I agree that you shouldn't be tacky or make your guests feel they have to pay you. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't suggest tipping. The concept of soliciting tips is not tacky. Its the manner in which its done that is tacky. Its the job of the performer to do it in a way that is comfortable on non threatening to the guest.

Blame the player not the game.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Jonathon,
I"m curious as to how you are certain that all of the guests you suggest tips to...are not offended, insulted, bothered, mildly annoyed, perturbed, or displeased. How can you be certain that when they are deciding where to go for dinner, that the "magician suggesting tips" doesn't play into the equation? Jonathon, I'm not knocking you or your approach. Hell, I'd love to increase my income 50 to 100%, and anyone who says they wouldn't would be lying. Even Bill Gates would like to do that. I'm just curious how you can make a statement like that without some kind of proof. I can't say with 100% certainty that someone isn't offended when I say "pick a card, please". Again, no attack, just curious.
Patrick
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 01:04, patrick flanagan wrote:
Jonathon,
I"m curious as to how you are certain that all of the guests you suggest tips to...are not offended, insulted, bothered, mildly annoyed, perturbed, or displeased. How can you be certain that when they are deciding where to go for dinner, that the "magician suggesting tips" doesn't play into the equation? Jonathon, I'm not knocking you or your approach. Hell, I'd love to increase my income 50 to 100%, and anyone who says they wouldn't would be lying. Even Bill Gates would like to do that. I'm just curious how you can make a statement like that without some kind of proof. I can't say with 100% certainty that someone isn't offended when I say "pick a card, please". Again, no attack, just curious.
Patrick

Well, my customers return, I don't get complaints, my managers rave about the compliments customers give them about me. All I know is what I hear and see at the restuarant. If they decide at home to go somewhere else because they don't like me I'll never know. But I am told many times by customers that they chose to eat at my restuarant because they wanted to see me. I have no reason to believe my approach is not working. If I did I would certainly change it.

, Jonathan
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
One of my faves is Martin Sanderson's Bill In Kiwi as closers. Easy no mess for the specs; but for the magi some pocket mgmt is needed.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
CSMTREE
View Profile
Veteran user
El Paso, Texas
318 Posts

Profile of CSMTREE
I love the Bill in Lemon as a closer, very strong lasting impression.
"Freedom is the best Magic of all"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Favorite CLOSERS! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL