The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
paultepper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of paultepper
2010?
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Hey everyone I was wondering how much these books will sell for now?
paultepper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of paultepper
They're for sale now at the Miracle Factory, http://www.miraclefactory.net/gardner.htm and are supposed to be shipped sometime this year. The website indicates that the price will be $150 but offers a $125 price now.
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
Hugard's Magic Monthly is a series of books. I don't know if the whole thing is printed in it but most if not all have exerts from this book. I believe 7 volumes at $49.00 each.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
723 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Any news on this?
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Someone at the Genii Forum couple months back had one for sale for 200 dollars. If you looked for it you might see if its been sold yet.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Honestly? This is one of the best magic books ever written. Martin Gardner was passionate about magic. This Encyclopedia is a fascinating read and a goldmine of powerful magic. This is a book that you will keep for a lifetime and always go back to. Gardner credits originators throughout the book and provides bits of business that branch off the main ideas. Hundreds of items which can stand on their own, or can be used as beginnings, or additions to more sophisticated routines limited only by your imagination. Many wonder about the high price of this book. If it was never to be reprinted I would easily pay five hundred dollars for it- its worth more than that. From the time you first open it till the time you last open it you will find something new, something amusing, something that will make onlookers smile. You will be armed with these impromptu gems assembled by the great Martin Gardner for the rest of your life. And the people around you will thank you for it.
Expensive? No. No matter how much it goes for. This book is pure gold.

Rodney
paultepper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of paultepper
20?? Does anyone have an idea when this might be printed? I ordered it some time ago but have heard nothing and haven't got a response to my email.

Thanks folks.

Paul
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
There is one for sale on ebay for $149 right now.
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
I picked up a copy at a magic convention for £60, which I think is pretty reasonable. It's a wonderful resource, but there's nothing in there that I'm stunned by, other than the sheer length and breadth of the work.

It's absolutely worthwhile to add the odd stunt, bet or principle to another routine - if you're performing magic with, say a matchbox, and you want a choice of a dozen more ideas to use with it, then this is your book.

I've never seen another book quite like it, and I doubt we'll ever see it's like again, but on the other hand I wouldn't say it has ever been a "must have" or something mind blowing. I'm very happy to have my copy, but that's primarily for historical interest, or the occasional principle which is buried within it's covers. One day I expect to stumble across some principle or concept that's been overlooked, but mostly I'll just giggle at the various banana jokes.
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Obviously
What ever happened with the new edition of this book?
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I remember preordering the delux edition for $300 back in February 2007. Waited several years before giving up.
Bob
SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
484 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
The website now promises arrival in 2012.
Syd
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I emailed Todd Karr (publisher) and he said he's "finally laying out the book right now for a release this year." Perhaps someone who knows more about the process of creating and publishing a book would know what "laying out the book" implies with regard to a timeline toward publication.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
I just saw an original go for 39 bucks on ebay.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 03:50, SydBeckman wrote:
The website now promises arrival in 2012.

And 7 1/2 months alway from that promise changing to 2013 if the past five years is any indication.
Bob
Bill Mullins
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bill Mullins
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Got mine awhile back. Have to say that I own both copies and the new one isn't that much better
chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
One benefit of the release of the new Miracle Factory version is that the older one will now sell for a more reasonable price. That's good news for younger magicians and anyone on a budget.

No matter which version you get (whether as the collected Hugard's Magic Monthly volumes, the original 1978 release, or "Impromptu") I think it's a must-have in any serious magician's library.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1149 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I have an extra copy of Gardner's original Magic Inc. Encyclopedia of Impromptu up for grabs in the classifieds section.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL