The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting a Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cycopolos
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Cycopolos
Write I want to start talking to a few different establishments about doing a few tricks and having a regular set there.

in another post I read someone mention you have to sell yourself and tell them what you can bring for them by doing this now I know I should be saying things like enhancing business and things like that
so I guess basically what I am asking for is what that conversation should really entail what things I should mention and what I shouldnt mention also things like how much should I be asking for in terms of per hour or per night.

any and all advice is wlecome thank you in advancing for taking the time to read and hopefully post a reply.
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
From what I've heard the cost is very dependant on your area. Where are you looking at getting the work?
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
First of all, only sell your gig, if you got a gig to sell. There is a big difference in performing for free vs. for pay, as the person that hires and pays you will have certain expectations.

What you are asking is how to pitch your act. Step one would be to have an act and to be able to describe/demonstrate it in a few minutes. Use the search engine for a lot of helpful tips and hints. Clearly, you have to point out why they do need you. Remember that each statement you make, should be believable. A statement ala WITH MY MAGIC, YOU WILL MAKE THREE TIMES MORE TURNOVER is clearly not a winner.

Secondly, be clear onwhat you would like to get out of it.

Last not least, a positive and professional attitude is the key. So have fun.

Andy
Cards never lie
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Why is this in the beginner's section? A big question.

Hideo Kato
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Good point - but perhaps it is not a beginner in magic, but a beginner in the professional life . ..
Cards never lie
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Check out forums like Tricky Business, and Table Hoppers and Party Strollers there has been a lot of discussion in those forums on this topic. Getting the gig is similar regardless of they type of magic performance you choose to do. It is all sales and marketing of yourself and your act. There are several speciality books out, which you will find recommended in those forums, about marketing and selling your act. In addition, the man who did the first big push in marketing and magic, Mark Wilson, who was a marketing major in his bachelor's degree from SMU, not only gives a good lecture on marketing yourself in magic. He used to sell a copy of the portfolio he used to market and sell his act to corporations, TV, theme parks, and trade shows. You can check with him and see if he still has copies available for sale at http://www.markwilsonmagic.com
he may not have them for sale on the site, but his email addy is there and you can contact him about them (hint actually send your quiry to Nani's email, you will get a faster answer).
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cycopolos
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Cycopolos
Thanks I will go to them sections of the site for more info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting a Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL