The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » appearing pole/pencil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I'm considering making this a purchase, but am wondering what people think of it.

Is it worth it?

How do people use it? What do you say upon production?

Just curious,

j.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Hello, I know many friends who have the appearing straw. They base their routine on fast food, "McDonalds". Opening a bag up, looking inside, pulling out fries, a burger, and then saying they only supersized my straw and than make your production. Lots of possibilites here.

Smile
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I used the appearing pole when performing for my kung fu club, since it is very similar to a weapon many students learn to fight with. I presented it as using magic to get all my gear to fit in one bag. I switched it for a near-exact solid duplicate by the end of the show, so after when everyone wanted to see it, I just passed it around. Lots of head scratching that time!

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
In children's shows I use a 4' magic wand. I produce it from a 5-way bag with a pocket on one side. I tell the volunteer helping me with a different trick that he/she needs a magic wand to help, but they are in luck because I always pack extras. I keep it in this blue bag, or at least, I thought it was in the blue bag. Maybe it's in the red, or yellow and so on.

When I come to the last bag I still haven't a wand for the child and pretend not to see the pocket. Now the kids in the audience are screaming, wanting to let you know exactly where it is. This gives empowerment to the audience, which is an added bonus.I open the pocket that is about 4" square and produce the 4' wand. Of course this is too big; it is bigger than they are, so you then say well I have no other magic wands so you'll have to settle for a magic... uh... marker, yeah that's it. Then give them a marker to use as a wand for the rest of the routine they are assisting with.
Ronald R. Romiski
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I've started this post about eight times so far and each one of them sounds absolutely obscene.

Okay. The pole in my show (whew! did it) is produced from inside my coat after I complain that I'm getting stuck by something - probably a pin I left in the new shirt I put on for the evening. Then I produce the pole. After producing it, I stand there with it towering over my head, and say, "Hey! I've been looking for that!"
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Are most of the appearing poles, etc., of good quality? Curious about durability.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
My large one has withstood many slow and fast "expansions" with only minimal and unnoticeable deterioration. Because of what it is made of though, you can't go whacking things with it. A smaller one I made myself is more durable because the diameter affects the stability of the prop.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I checked out the appearing straw at my local magic shop. Awesome! Great quality. Cost was $39.00.

It was about 10 feet long. I thought it was cool, and would make a great addition for a kids show!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I always liked the concept and finally got one just a week or so ago. It's from Magic, Music and More http://www.magicmusicandmore.com/ and was only $10.00

I can highly recommend it. But remember, it is ONLY a prop; YOU are the magic and, therefore, it's what you do with it that makes it a winner or not.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Words of wisdom from the wise! Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
The prop itself can inspire many unique possibilities. I've seen it performed well & nearly get a standing ovation...and I've seen it performed poorly with the audience shouting out how it works.
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
Has anyone got any funny ideas for the pencil? Smile
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
I almost bought the appearing cigarette but didn't. I like the straw idea. Hmmm, just maybe I'll have to get it.
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I bought a version of the pole called "Pinocchio's Nose." You show a 5- inch wooden nose, throw it in a bag, and let people make up lies. The nose slowly grows completely under your control until it's 7- feet tall.

I intended to use it for the very few children shows I do, but it turned out I do it constantly for adults. It gets roars of laughter!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I posted this in another place, so please forgive for the repeat. My shows are Harry Potter themed: I first need a wand, so I look for it and can't find one; then I remember one that I was given by the Weasly twins; I produce a small bag and start pulling out a large wand (6 ft); and I say, "Well, this wand is a little too big...luckily I stopped by Alavanders before the show...."

WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Someone said to me once, straws are plastic, so producing a 10 foot one just gives off the idea it is plastic, where a wood pole is wood, and not made of plastic. hmmmmm
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have a routine where I can't seem to get the trick right. I keep telling the kids I need a bigger magic wand. I go to different places to produce the wand. These wands are the same effect as the appearing pole/wand, except I made my own. I have five different sizes with the last one being eight feet long. I try and pull this out of a kids coat pocket or sometimes the kids shoe. This always amazes the kids.

I highly recommend.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I also made my own wands.
8', 4', 2', then a regular 14", then a 3"

I start the trick by explaining that my Grandfather was a very famous and powerful Magician back in the old country. I don’t know what country, but it sure was an old one.

One day when he was very old he called me to his bedside and gave me a wand. (produce 8’) I asked him why it was so big. He said, in your mind it has to be big because it has to hold all the magic you will need in your life. You see I thought the magic was in the wand.

As I grew older and learned more magic, (produce 4’) I got bigger and the wand seemed to get smaller. I thought this was because I was using the magic up in the wand so it kept getting smaller.

I continued to grow and study magic (produce 2’) and I was beginning to worry that someday I would use up all of the magic in the wand.

Then something wonderful happened, I started performing for people like you, and I discovered that Magic is not in the wand, (produce 14”) it’s in your heart, and it’s my job to help you get it out. If you believe and try to find the Magic in my show, I’m sure you will find the Magic that’s in your heart.

You know I still have the wand Grandpa gave me, would you like to see it. (Produce 3”)

You see there was never any magic in Grandpa’s wand, I just thought there was.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Here is my idea for the pencil.
Do misled with a 20 then ask if any one has larger bill.
Ok, fine... I guess will need a larger pencil....
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
The best appearing poles for quality & craftmanship
are made by Inventor Pro Magician Wayne Rogers

contact him any time-great guy!!

http://www.nzmagic.com/productpgJUNE2007.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » appearing pole/pencil (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL