The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First post and already a question? :) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

m0bster
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
3 Posts

Profile of m0bster
Hey guys...First post here and I am LOVING this forum...such a vast wealth of knowledge here. I have a question for the pros here in restaurant magic. I have a decent amount of tricks that I am very proficient at and want to get into the restaurant scene now. I am finding it hard to ask for the gig though. How do you guys get your gigs in restaurants? What do you say to the manager to get them to let you stroll in their place? I guess this is the starting point for me and I want to do this right.

Also...do you guys work strictly for tips or do you get compensated by the restaurant or both? Im not new to magic, but am a noob to the restaurant thing...so don't flame me. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow two great questions.

Let me get you a wealth of knowlege all in one listing convienently located and easy to click on.

If you look at the top of the page there is a "search" function.

What you should do is put in some "key words" of the questions you have. Such as "tips" or "getting the gig" or something like that. Use variations on those themes and you will find a wealth of knowlege as these 2 topics have been done to death.

I hope that did not seem flaming as I was being as nice as possible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
m0bster
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
3 Posts

Profile of m0bster
Sorry for not searching first. /question mode /start lurking mode again.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ask all you want, we are happy to assist you.

Book - Secrets of Restaurant Magic

Audio Tape - Restaurant Magic by Charles Greene

DVD - Live At The Jailhouse - A Guide To Restaurant Magic DVD with Dan Fleshmann, Garrett Thomas, Dan Tong, Kirk Charles, Paul Green, & Justin Miller

You can find all the above at: http://www.misdirections.com/show.html

Some magicians do not believe in accepting tips. But no magician believe in working for tips only.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This thing about tips is a hot button with a lot of people. Buskers work for tips only. Not many restaurant magicians do. Some magicians turn down all tips. Some accept them. Learning to refuse a tip is an art in itself. Thank God I haven't learned it!

Some magicians work restaurants really cheap, which can have repercussions from the local magic community. Don't sell yourself too cheap, even if you are just starting. Once you have set your price, you will have problems raising it.

Some restaurant workers use the restaurant gig to get corporate work. If there are no corporations situated in your area, you may find this a waste of time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The only tips I will absolutely REFUSE tips come from friends. True. Another local magician and friend came in with his wife (and son..and one of his daughters, he has MANY, long story) on their anniversary. I did some magic and a custom, NICE anniversary balloon. He insisted on tipping...I can't take money from friends. Just can't. I don't suggest tips or hint on tips. I don't refuse them when offered or dropped into my rear pouch (the one that holds the magic) as they walk by and say "THANK YOU FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT!) as they leave. If asked, I say that "..______________" (name of restaurant) takes care of the cost...but, if sincerely offered, I don't tell 'em rudely to "keep it!".

Steve
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I have never performed restaurant magic, so I can't comment there. But I am a waiter, so I can offer a perspective from that point of view.

A few years ago at the restaurant I work at, a balloon guy came in. His deal was he'd table hop Sunday morning making balloons for kids - he'd get a free meal at the end and could accept tips.

I don't know if it really made an impact on my tips (I don't remember it doing so), but a lot of other servers complained that it did. Most servers really disliked him and were resentful that he was there.

I personally thought he was a nice guy (and he tipped 5 bucks for his free meal when you were the server that rang it in), but nonetheless, he was very well disliked and brought morale down.

Take that for what it's worth, anyway...

Matt
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Charles Greene made it a point NEVER to accept tips when he was working in restaurants.

The only time I turn them down is when I am performing at an event at which tipping would be totally inappropriate, such as a corporate hospitality suite. By this, I mean when one of the guests tries to tip me. If the head of the corporation comes over and says, "Hey, Bill! You did a bang-up job! We really liked that. Here's something extra for your innovative work and the way you worked with our product and clients," I wouldn't turn that down.

I also would not accept a tip from a guest at a party in someone's home.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
IF I get some cooperation from the servers (ie: letting the customers know I'm there and what I do)...I'll gladly refer the tips to the serving staff. They deserve it if they're doing their jobs. If I'm twisting balloons (and I do NOT do it strictly for tips, but I do know people who do...I wouldn't), I don't want the guests to feel obligated to tip...I'm well-paid by the restaurant. BUT...if while I'm twisting for a particular table or section and the customers keep asking ME why the server is ignoring them or if they have to ask ME for flatware or refills (I don't provide either, but will get a server), that means the server really isn't doing their job. If a tip is offered there, I generally will accept it, and gladly.

The other situation I really don't mind "takin' the cash" is a family of mom & dad and a BUNCH of kids...like 5-10. Mind ya, some of 'em probably aren't theirs, but when they're so misbehaved and running wild with no parental supervision, I just smile, twist 'em some fantastic balloon art, and accept whatever gratuity is offered. Basically, that's in exchange for babysitting/ wrangling/hazardous duty.

Steve
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 18:32, Bill Palmer wrote:
Charles Greene made it a point NEVER to accept tips when he was working in restaurants.

Wow I always love that audio tape because he says he doesn't accept tips .... except when someone offers him a $20 he accepts that one!!!

Reminds me of the old joke of the guy and girl sitting at a bar.
GUY: "Hey would you sleep with me for 1 million bucks?"
GIRL: "Heck yeah, I would!!"
GUY: "How about a little action for $50?"
GIRL: "Hey what do you think I am?"
GUY: "We already established that .... now we are haggling over price"

Floating morals are great!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 23:48, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 18:32, Bill Palmer wrote:

Wow I always love that audio tape because he says he doesn't accept tips .... except when someone offers him a $20 he accepts that one!!!

Yea, I know what you mean because I have the tape myself. All he had to do was mention he only accept tips $20 or more.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First post and already a question? :) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL