We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gotta do a presentation about divorce and the Bible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
Anybody have any ideas to illustrate the Biblical view of divorce? The social view is one of acceptance but in the Bible God says, "I hate divorce." and a number of other things that make today's social views questionable, at the very least.

I need to come up with an idea to present the Biblical perspective. Maybe highlighting love and the resposiblilty of a Biblical marriage. Then somehow working the world view of divorce verses the Biblical view. Ugh! Smile
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Tough one, Kent,

You also don't want to alienate your audience, which may include divorced people or children from divorced marriages.

Last year for Valentine's day, I did a childrens sermon doing a paper tear routine with a red heart made from tissue paper. That sermon was on God's love, but you could perhaps use it to talk about divorce. Show the heart and explain it signifies the love of two people. When a couple no longer loves one another, it may lead to a divorce and the ending of their marriage vows (tear the heart in half down the middle). Now if your audience includes children of divorced parents, you can talk about how their parents still love them and God loves them, restoring the paper heart. It gets trickier for adults. You will eventually restore the heart to show how marriage should be a lifetime commitment.

This is just a start, but I hope it helps.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
While the world might "accept" divorce, I believe that both Biblical and Societal views would agree that no matter how you look at it, divorce hurts. People who divorce aren't happy to do it.

Every marriage starts out good (even if it is for a minute), according to Dr. Les and Leslie Parrott. So perhaps you can talk about how God can restore us even when our relationships with others end up broken.

Our very relationship with Christ is based on a broken/restored life. Without Christ, we would still be in our old self.

I really like Dan's idea of using the heart being restored.

I have used the Rainbow Ropes to illustrate the connectedness of a family. We think that we are separate. Sometimes we get angry (the red) and sometimes we think we don't care and act all cool (the blue), but with Christ in the center of our lives, we know that we are held together (the white).
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
Divorce is like the splitting of the Red Sea. Our past catches up and we are forced to take a plunge with faith forwards. History does repeat and in the end we will always be ok. I would recommend a 20th century silk routine and perhaps a Lota bowl to show how the waters returned afterwards.
Good Luck
AmazingBoz Smile
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
It's very easy to cite scripture referencing God's high view of marriage. I'd approach it from the positive side: The church is the bride of Christ; he will never leave us or forsake us [Hebrews 13:5, Deut 31:6, 8; Josh 1:5]. Jesus's first miracle was turning water into wine *at a wedding*. God never breaks his promises. Though we are faithless, he remains faithful [2 Timothy 2:13]. As I'm sure you're aware, there are also Matthew 5:31-32; Matthew 19:3-10.

The latter references are the "negative," I suppose, but contrasting these with "Lo I am with you, even to the end of the age." And how we are called to be like Jesus; how the world will know we are Christians by the love we have for one another puts this all in the positive view.

All this aside, I think something as trivial as the untearable card can be used to illustrate God's perspective on marriage - what He would have it be. Perhaps you could start the illustration with a "blendo" (two become one) card [Or perhaps Michael Ammar's $2 bill tear - just the restoration]. Round that out with DanTheMagicMan's example and I think you can balance out the picture for those who have suffered through divorce in their family with the good news about redemption.

PS: If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend Steven Curtis Chapman's song: "I Will Be There" as inspiration.

Also remember that while this culture has become too "accepting" of divorce, almost no one views divorce as a positive thing.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Hm, this is difficult!

Most Christians in our country do not agree with divorce. So I do a rings, wand and rope trick, set up as in Abbot's book, Stanley Collins' New Ropes & Ring Release.

The wand represents Christ, rings represent husband, wife and children. If Christ becomes the family anchor, the family relation is tied together even if they face hard problems (pull force). But if Christ is removed, the family will separate from each other.

Hope this helps.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
Why do you have to make a magical presentation about divorce and the Bible? Maybe it would be better to leave the magic out.
troublewit
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of troublewit
Victor,

If you are familiar with Pavel's "Fantastic Knot," which is marketed in the USA by Daryl as the "Jumping Knot of Pakistan," I have a routine which was published by Duane Laflin using this routine to illustrate God's view of marriage. It's called the "Ballad of Fred and Bianca" and it stresses the fidelity of the marriage commitment, as well as principles in choosing a "life partner."

I initially designed this routine for a mixed congregation of adults and children to illustrate the commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." The "hook" for the lesson was the catch-phrase: "2 women for 1 man is not God's plan." I have found that the best way to teach this kind of lesson is to emphasize heavily the POSITIVE aspects of faithfulness in marriage, rather than dwell on the tragedies of divorce. Anyway, if you can use the routine, I'd be happy to send it to you as an email attachment.

Best regards, Christopher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gotta do a presentation about divorce and the Bible (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL