The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "You just can`t win" ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
I know that a few topics on the Cafe, have led to the same response from a few different people, and this just goes to prove that us magi. know what we're talking about.

Tonight I was performing at a gig for the Chinese new year, at a local Chinese restaurant.

As I approached a table of four, I was told, quite bluntly by a middle aged lady that...
"we're not intrested, go away because we're talking"........ (polite or what)!
:mad:

Well I duly obligied, gave my apoligies and left to the next table.

Now, I don't know if someone on her table said something or if they saw how much fun they were missing, but they obviously new they were missing something. And this never became clear to me until the end of the night.

As the customers were starting to leave I took position next to the bar to greet them all goodnight as they went out.

Then out from no where appeared a crazy looking middle aged woman with short gray hair, and started to rip strips of me.

WOA! Smile
It then clicked that this was the woman that had rejected me earlier in the night.
And I have to say, I can't belive what she said to me:

AT NO POINT TONIGHT HAVE ME OR MY FRIENDS SEEN ANY TRICKS FROM YOU. NOT ONE!

Talk about speachless! (loony old bag)

Well I followed them outside to just catch them driving off, to my joy the guy driving hit the curb and then hit a bollard in the centre reservation.

aahhhhh, sweet justice.

Well, I dunno about anyone else, but to me that just made it a perfect evening.

Has anyone had a similar experience that makes you feel good about a negative response? Smile Smile Smile Smile
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I would like to formally apologise to you. That was obviously the long lost twin of my Mother-in-law.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
MagicalChris
View Profile
New user
Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of MagicalChris
I would hate to have to deal with that kind of a person! Its just good the later turn of events made your evening better lol!

-chris
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Look, this sort of thing happens occasionally, but you have to remember, the restaurant is there for the guests, not the magician. All you can do is smile and say,
"Sorry, I'll get you next time!"

The plain truth is that the world is full of jerks and idiots, but you've got to put up with them when you're on the clock!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Painful as it may be, heed Scott's advice.
This sort of thing does, indeed, happen from time to time.
And it's not going to kill you to "make nice" at the time.
Who knows why they acted that way?
Maybe they just had bad news.
Maybe they just had good news.
Maybe -- well, there are thousands of "maybes".
The point is, you don't know why they did that.
But I hope you remember what your job at the restaurant is:
To make the customer happy.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
brainman
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of brainman
You do, and can not know why people do, reject somtimes table hoppers... But you can keep your pride and your humour.
We are not under-humans - no we are magicians, and we have the right to be treated with respect... I always try to fix such situations:

One time I was performing at a noble hotel.. at a certain table, one lady said "No - thank you I do not like that!!!"
BUT, the others wanted to see something but they did not dare to ask me.. (verbally) ...so I went away, ducjed and crawled under the table and performed a good miracle for the others.. talking from under the table and only my hands came out.. It was great fun.. and the (lady) ice was broken, too..

Another time at a vernissage I got the same rejection: "no.. We do not want you" ...I looked in her eyes aaand (I trained that.. various clown workshops from Jango Edwards to Lassaa Saidi) I started to cry... really crying.. and I begged them for watching just one trick... (under status) ..and they said Yes... I think it is a kind of feeling where the limits are.

BUT: Let there be respect! ON BOTH SIDES!(do not forget the limits - personal and situational)

just a thought
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "You just can`t win" ! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL