The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I Know a Trick!!!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
So how many times do you get the line of "I KNOW A TRICK MR. MAGIC GUY....CAN I SHOW YOU ONE????" MAN does this always drive a nail thru my hand. Back in the day, I would allow the person (child or adult) to show me the trick (always 21 card trick or some other lame effect that they usually screw up and I just play along) but when you've got 30+ tables to do, I don't have time for it.

What do you guys usually do? My line is usually said with a grin, "well, the restaurant won't let anyone else do magic in here becuase of the union thing and if I'm caught letting someone show me anything, I'm usually taken out back and beaten with a club!" I know it sounds crude when written in black and white, but this always gets a laugh from both children and adults and I'm free and clear.

However...for the person who is determined to show you something...what do you do? Just curious how y'all handle that situation....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It depends on the spectator and the venue. At the Texas Renaissance Festival, I could get away with things (because of my character) that I couldn't get away with in a restaurant.

I had just finished a path show, and a kid came up to me -- "I KNOW A TRICK YOU DON'T KNOW!"

"Really?"

"I'll find your card, and you don't even have to take one. You just think of it."

"I'm not going to stand here and have you deal out three rows of seven cards three times."

"How did you know that was what I was going to do?"

"Every 8 year old kid knows that trick."

"HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS EIGHT YEARS OLD?"

In a restaurant, there can be a couple of ways to do it. If there isn't a big crowd, let the guy show you the trick. What you do afterwards is up to you. If you want him to give you a big tip, compliment him on his work and thank him for showing it to you. If you want to give him the business, then outdo him with the same trick. For example, if he does the Burglars, then do three or four four ace tricks with the four jacks, rapid-fire, in rapid succession. If he does the 21 card trick, switch the deck with one that is set up for the John Cornelius version and do that one for him, instead.

If there is a big crowd, you can always say that you have to go to another table. In fact, you can pretend to see the manager calling you over.

Another technique is to ask to see their hands. Then give them a couple of packaged hand wipes, and say, "I always use these on my hands before I handle the cards."

The worst thing is the guy who wants to borrow your cards to do tricks for the people at his table. The best way I know to handle them is to tell them that you need your cards for the other people in the restaurant.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
"I KNOW A TRICK MR. MAGIC GUY....CAN I SHOW YOU ONE????"

1. Stop what you are doing look directly into their eyes and say "NO"
2. "I can't stand magic. Seriously!"
3. "I'm sorry but ever since the incident, I can't let you do that."
4. If by "CAN I SHOW YOU ONE?" you mean "CAN I GIVE YOU $10?".......YES!
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Sometimes after sitting through the 21 card trick I'd say I got another way to do that trick.

I would force the card, deal the three piles one time and name the card after they pointed to the row the first time.

Left them beflubbergated.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Let them show you the trick.

You're there to serve them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 03:39, Robert Apodaca wrote:
Let them show you the trick.

You're there to serve them.

Here we get to the heart of the matter. Why not let them show you? I have NEVER had anyone show a trick that didn't make me look better, and me look nicer by letting them.

9 out of 10 times at least ONE person at the table says "Your going to show HIM a trick?" and bursts into laughter.

They want to show you something that they think will entertain you. Why is it so horrible to sit through it? I have never understood magicians.

Oh and think of it this way, at least they havn't shown up to your table unannounced after your meal to show it to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I do not work in restaurants, but I do get that question at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and corporate events. I explain to them that I am getting paid to entertain. I realize that being cordial to the guest is important so I just say that I will come back after I finish working to see their trick. Sometimes they look for me sometimes they don't.

One time at a Bat Mitzvah, a girl came over to me and asked if I had Svengali Deck. First I said no. But later I spoke to that girl privately and the reason she asked me that, was that she was having trouble using one. So with no one else around, I gave her a quick lesson.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 03:31, mota wrote:
Sometimes after sitting through the 21 card trick I'd say I got another way to do that trick.

I would force the card, deal the three piles one time and name the card after they pointed to the row the first time.

Left them beflubbergated.

Learn the John Cornelius version. No force.

Regarding "serving" them -- yes, you are there to serve them. But you are not there to let them crab your act. It's like letting people from the audience sit in with the band. Unless you know what you are getting, it makes you look unprofessional.

You don't go into the mechanic's shop and say, "Hey, my frabbitz is loose. Let me borrow your wrench." You don't go into the doctor's and say, "I have a pain in my chest. Let me borrow your defibrillator."

You must set borders and boundaries. But you must do it without looking like a putz.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well usually these guys do make you look better. Most times in restaurants, I simply don't have a problem as I keep my mouth running pretty good so there is no break to allow for this. I don't ask questions I don't already know the answer too.

It has happend a couple times in 20 years. I simply let it go, so as to not look like a putz. That is the key. But proper tight routining really does eliminate a lot of this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I say sure!!!!

As long as you don't slap the cards out of my hand, throw them in the air, count or change the order....

I have been pleasantly surprised with a good trick one out of 100. as long as I have time I will.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The last time I said, "let me guess, you are going to deal 21 cards into 3 piles" the poor kid looked so hurt, I felt as though I had just kicked a kitten. There must be a gentler way...

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Does this really need to be addresed? Im in a restaurant to enetrtain, but really to make people feel good about coming back. So, a kid ( or an adult ) wants to show me soemthing. Who cares. Is the owner/manager going to let me go because

"you were hired to do tricks and I saw someone showing you one. They were happy and loved you and said they'll be back, but I can't have that in my restaurant".

Yes, I know it may be boring for you. Yes, the trick probably stinks. But, will they feel good about showing you? YES! Should you be as amazed as you'd like them to be? YES!

Comparing it to other professions is apples and oranges. It doesn't demean the art to let them show you. It does make us look bad when we're rude or stuck up.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Although I too, can't stand another 21 card trick, I always let them do it.

"I know a trick too, can I show you?"

"OF COURSE, dude I've been doing all the entertaining all night, time for ME to be entertained"

Why would they want to show you a trick? Because they are having fun brother.
It is a good thing. Unless they are trying to "outsmart" you, most of the time they do this because they like you.

Don't burn this rapport brother...

Matter of fact, whenever I come across tables with little kids who are starting in magic, I encourage them to show me what they got. No matter what, compliment on their endeavor to study this art. It makes the kid his/her day, I love that and the PARENTS will love you for that.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Sure it's great for the person showing you the effect. I have let them show their tricks many times and yes it can be cute and endearing. I will usually let a young child show an effect but not in the middle of my set. I will let them know I would love to see their effect as soon as I am finished. Younger adults can be brutal. They can forget the effect, start over, mess up again, start over. This is why you never let them do it in the middle of your set. Sure the person doing the effect will appreciate you letting them do it but everyone else is dieing a slow death. Some may even leave.

So once you have done your set and WOWED your audience, sure then go ahead and let them show you a trick.

If the guy is a jerk and he lets me shuffle after my card is selected I always palm it out and watch him sweat. Smile
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I can't tell you how many times that has happend at my restaurant gigs.
I love having kids show me tricks, they are so proud of themselves and so are the parents. How are we going to keep our art alive if we do not encourage performance? As Mark said , I have been pleasantly surprised a few times. Some kids learn the oldies but goodies.
Think back to when your learned your first magic trick. Didn't you want to show everbody? I know I did. I can still remember performing a dinky plastic Lotta jug trick at m y uncle's house and having everyone giggle with delight as I did it.

Also, I have booked at least 4 private shows with tables that performed for me.

ATTENTION MAGIC SHOPPERS, its not the trick its your personality!

That said I have never had an adult ask if they could show me an effect. it probably has to do with my performance style.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have had adults ask to show me a trick, but almost always a drunk who fancies himself the group's alpha male. Usually this happens BEFORE I show my stuff. The posturing is usually different after I'm done. If they ask before I start, I have at times said, "Sure, but after I finish, and only if the trick is better." I say this in a manner to let them know this is NOT a threatening pose. It gets a laugh, and by the time I'm done, everyone has forgotten the request.

If a kid asks me, I always take the time to watch, even if it becomes insufferably long. I do what I can to encourage them. Even if they end up with the wrong card, I let them save face. I've scored mega points in the diplomacy department by saying, "YES! That is my card! And he even changed it into the Four of Diamonds!!"

I once had a kid show me a trick involving a key card locator. His method of glimpsing the card was a bit blatant, so I showed him a nice subtle method, then sent him back to his table where he proceeded to cork his dad with essentially the same trick his dad had taught him. That was a seriously happy kid, and dad was pleasantly scratching his head.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 11:13, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The last time I said, "let me guess, you are going to deal 21 cards into 3 piles" the poor kid looked so hurt, I felt as though I had just kicked a kitten. There must be a gentler way...

John

You missed the whole context of the situation. The kid belligerently came up to me and yelled at me. I was in my character as Merlin. I did exactly what my character would have done under the situation.

This was not in a restaurant.

In a restaurant, I would have handled the whole thing differently.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When children come to me to offer me a trick, I always accept it if I have the time. When they show it to me, I pretend as if it astonished me as if I did not know the secret. I like to see the smiles on their faces.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Its also a nice touch to ask the child for their autograph when they are done. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The real question is should the child let it be known tips are acceptable?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I Know a Trick!!!!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL