The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » What's your theory? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

connectwithmagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of connectwithmagic
Are magic hobbiests less dedicated than, say, those whose hobby it is to play the violin, perform ballet or create oil painintings?

To my experience, in some of the clubs that I've attended magicians will actually discourage one another from perfecting difficult moves and promote easier ones. This is fine sometimes; but not when the easier move makes it easier for the performer and more convoluted for the spectator. "Concentrate on presentation" seems to be the rational for avoiding any move that takes practice. As anyone knows who has MASTERED a challenging move - it becomes an automatic and almost mindless process that does exactly that: it enables you to concentrate on presentation. It is not a quid-pro-quo (technique vs. presentation) it is simply mastery of both. Simple for the spectator doesn't ALWAYS mean simple for the perfomer.

I find that people who engage in other art forms tend to embrace the challenges of advancing their skill. I've never heard a vionlinst say to another "don't bother with the A minor scale, because you know C major and you can do tons of songs with that. But I will hear some magicians discourage others . . . "Don't bother with the pass, the double undercut is so easy and you can do tons with it".

This is simply my theory. I'd love to hear what you think.

About me:

New member of Magic Café

Professional magician - 10 years

Corporate magic specializing in trade shows and public speaking.

Honed skills as restaurant magician.

Favorites: Close up with cards, mentalism and a great fan of the topit.

Inspirations: Derren Brown, Daryl, Darwin Ortiz, Kevin Webber
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Welkomen
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Welcome to Café......:o)

CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
I suppose it depends on who you're associating with, and I'm sure every club has it's own culture. I've been a member of our club for a couple of years and I've found the people to be very generous with advice and help. Of course some people are more help than others, and some people don't want to share as much, maybe they don't want the competition. If you're in a club that's large enough there are all types. I haven't been involved with musicians, but I would think that there would be some violinists who might not like seeing someone else mastering tough skills and replacing them on the orchestra.

My attitude is that "People are people" and you'll find all kinds of personalities in every group regardless of race, creed, or color (or hobby).
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Welcome to the Café!
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
Welcome to the Café, have fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » What's your theory? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL