We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Which Levitation Do People Like Best? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
nicopz
View Profile
New user
Columbia,SC
6 Posts

Profile of nicopz
Out of those three I would go with the Icarus.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Voitko is the best one for levitation.
I really like it...
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I really like Andre Kole's self levitation.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Minz15: Out of the three you mentioned, they all have pros and cons:

Icarus: Angles like crazy. Are you willing to wear an uncomfortable gimmick to fool people one at a time when no one else can't even be near?

Chris Angel: Same problem as Icarus

Skywalker: you will accomplish almost the same effect as the balducci and you will need to wear an uncomfortable shoe the whole time.

In my opinion if you are willing to wear a whole leg gimmick (skywalker, criss angel)go for the Fearson Fantastic Floatation. After all, both criss and icarus are copies from Ferason. Fearson fill give you the benefit of performing it to a whole crowd instead of one person at a time and the angles are much more forgiving.
I own one and when I use it I get tremendous reaction in a parlor situation. You can't use Cris's or Icarus in a parlor situation.

Thanks,
Reynold
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Astro Levitation....
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
The Guardian Angel and Angels ! . . . .

FALCONER
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
john_rivav
View Profile
Regular user
Yauco, Puerto Rico
102 Posts

Profile of john_rivav
I like the Fearson fantastic flotation. It’s a great self levitation.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 11:43, ufo wrote:

Is there a video, or a place where one can find more information?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Magicmike40
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Magicmike40
I love Voitko's levitation when the gril passes between his legs WOW. I wonder how much?
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of Hector
I can not decide... skywalker, icarus.... blablabla... I don´t like any of them.
Talking about Voitko´s, I think it is wonderful! more than amazing!! It will be soon ready to sell. Not yet. He told me that it will cost about $19,000. It is not cheap at all, but I find it really amazing!
Also one of my favourites is the Double levitation that Kennedy does.
And cheaper... the Pole levitation... if you can find it...

that's it.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:

I agree, it's a beautiful illusion and a terrific presentation. I can't help but think that it influenced the meditation the Sigfried and Roy levitation (where Roy is levitated while sitting in a meditation position).

AK has an equally amazing and beautiful suspension that he used (and perhaps still uses) in situations that are unworkable for the levitation. He--or the person being suspended--is suspended while sitting cross legged inside an open pyramid framework. It's not a "flying carpet" illusion--just like the levi, he's not sitting on anything solid (like a board.

As I recall, his presentation revolved around the mystery of the pyramids. The illusion was a stand-alone unit that could be wheeled out and performed almost anywhere. (My memory my be a bit fault in that regard, as I saw him demo the illusion to the local IBM ring (of which he was a member) in his home in Mesa, AZ nearly 30 years ago, and I've not seen him present it since then.)
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Audiences respond well to both Aga and Asrah style levitations.

No really fine levitations (or suspensions) are affordable though,
they are all heavy investments in money,
and fairly heavy in weight/size as well.

That said it is the performer’s choices of
theme, style, routine, and presentation
which make any levitation beautiful and memorable.

What is do not like are “portable” versions where the deception is killed,
as the magician must stand on a box or platform for no logical reason at all, because that’s where the gimmicks are hidden.

Come up with a wonder-filled and lovely concept first,
then find the equipment that best suits that premise.

My two-cents,
Walt
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Walt,

You are good at that observation. Many excellent levitation are built into the frame of the "platform" Such as Doug Henning, Floating on water.

What I like about Voitko's levitation is that he has created a small stage set justifying the platform.

John Kaplan did a similar routine making a beach,including palm trees, all to hid the super-x suspension of a kid surfing in the air. Looks real good.

The standandard platform needs to be concealed in som mini-set design which takes the heat off the major parts.

It's down fall is it is heavy! More Props all to convince the viewing audience of a person truly floating.
Dennis Michael
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
I think somebody needs to remind Victor that less is more.

And it's so obvious that there are 2 midgets dressed in black holding the girl.

DUH!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2583 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Please excuse me as stray off topic slightly but I'd be interested to know what others think about the following.

As great as the Voitko levitation is does anyone else get the impression that the construction of the routine seems to be designed to show everything that this levitation system can do rather than possibly using this undoubtedly marvellous system to present the most effective illusion of levitating a person?

Don't get me wrong I think it looks great (better than great) but as I watch it I can imagine lay people thinking..'yeah but she's obviously laying on something'. While this non-explanation says nothing as to how the effect is achieved the construction of the routine seems to invite this line of thinking. Once a lay audience is given the opportunity to provide this kind of non-answer for themselves it can become the dominating factor in their experience while watching a routine. This non-explanation can be enough to lessen the overall effect of the piece so that although the theatre of the piece stays in tact the mystery of the effect, which maybe could be mind blowing, becomes eroded.

I used to think the same thing about Copperfield's Flying illusion. Everyone that I know that has seen it thought it looked great and couldn't explain the 'disproving of method' moves but none the less person after person used to volunteer the method of the basic principle of how it worked and they were, at the most basic level, right. Again the theatre of the piece still worked but the mystery element was reduced from, 'how does he fly?' to, 'how does he do those disproving moves using the principle I'm sure is at play here?' I saw the Pendragons do a version of this effect, the routine wasn't over long and at no point did Charlotte rotate about the point of axis. As a consequence the method wasn't dangled in front of the audience and so as well as having the theatricality of the piece in place the mystery of the method employed, even at a non-explanatory level, also remained it tact and (in a round about way to get almost back onto topic) consequently it's one of the best levitations I've seen.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Quote:
On 2007-11-09 15:57, Hector wrote:
I can not decide... skywalker, icarus.... blablabla... I don�t like any of them.
Talking about Voitko�s, I think it is wonderful! more than amazing!! It will be soon ready to sell. Not yet. He told me that it will cost about $19,000. It is not cheap at all, but I find it really amazing!
Also one of my favourites is the Double levitation that Kennedy does.
And cheaper... the Pole levitation... if you can find it...

that's it.

The ULTIMATE LEVITATION is $15,000.Is a regular levitation(up and down), and the girl just levitate in the size of the magician belt.
Voitko levitation the mechanism is diferent, also small stage set justifying the platform, flash appearance levitation and rotation.
deserves the money!

Paulo
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Less is more!
Simple is better "theatre".

The more the lady moves, or swivels, or spins,
the more the audience is led to look for methods.

Also note that most all the levitations above are beautiful,
but expensive and bulky and heavy as all heck!

So if you want elegance and deception be ready to spend some bucks,
and not be able to do it everywhere.

I must also strongly disagree, Asrah IS a levitation but combined with a vanish,
and one of the most powerful combinations around, thank you Servais LeRoy!

As to the self-levitations, none are really excellent,
all have huge limitations, and there is room to invent a better one.
If you want to do a self, keep it simple like Balducci,
again Less is More.

I also think there is something subliminally egotistical about a Self.
I think the magic and beauty come from the lovely assistant floating,
on a symbolic level a duo levitation seems to be about love, sharing, and romance.

That means on a subconscious level a Solo levitation is about "me, me, me"
could it be the ego driven magician cannot get a date to make rise?

Magically,
Walt
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-11-09 17:42, Donal Chayce wrote:
Quote:

I agree, it's a beautiful illusion and a terrific presentation. I can't help but think that it influenced the meditation the Sigfried and Roy levitation (where Roy is levitated while sitting in a meditation position).

AK has an equally amazing and beautiful suspension that he used (and perhaps still uses) in situations that are unworkable for the levitation. He--or the person being suspended--is suspended while sitting cross legged inside an open pyramid framework. It's not a "flying carpet" illusion--just like the levi, he's not sitting on anything solid (like a board.

As I recall, his presentation revolved around the mystery of the pyramids. The illusion was a stand-alone unit that could be wheeled out and performed almost anywhere. (My memory my be a bit fault in that regard, as I saw him demo the illusion to the local IBM ring (of which he was a member) in his home in Mesa, AZ nearly 30 years ago, and I've not seen him present it since then.)

Andre's levitation is simple and beautiful. I had the opportunity to be one of the assistants during the routine, and to be on stage while it is all happening is quite exhilarating. Lights, music, levitating....wow!

You're also right about the seldom seen pyramid suspension.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
I don't understand why these levitations that allow the girl to move around the performer don't have a mechanism built in to make her more rather than the magician manually shoving her back and forth. She moves up and down on her own, why not side to side? To me that is one of the main flaws with the effect that tip the spectator to the position of the gaff.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
As I read the recent posts, I keep reminding myself of Losander & Tommy Wonder's point related to the "Floating Ball" or Zombie illusion. To make it so believable through actions and method, that the original method "the Stick" ceases to exist. (Not exact wording).

Two thoughts come to mind. Method 1: for Magicians, Method 2: for the lay audience.

When two methods are combinded it has a tendency to fool magicians.(Method 1)
Many of the lay audience just doesn't care on how it is done, they enjoy the emotional trip the "mini-act" has involved them.

You just can't fool all of the people at the same time. Which leave us in the middle. The stage play is so involing, like a mini-movie, we don't care how it's done. Why do movies win Oscars? They are not real, they are an illusion.

I cease to want to know how it's done because I want to enjoy the performance.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Which Levitation Do People Like Best? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL