The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Zibit Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I have FINALLY ordered a zibit from Doug and have a few questions for those who have them.
I have read all the threads here and haven't seen these questions asked. I know these will be answered in the info that comes with the zibit, but I want to be ready to go when it gets here. I have the show notes and will follow them to the letter.

How big are the signs on the outside? I know what they say, I want to order them now.

Are you using an ez-up canopy or something else?

what is the zibit in (Box, Aquarium Etc.)?

What kind of table do you use to display it?

Where do you keep your money?

How much change do you bring?

What kind of shows do you go to, home, car shows, sports events, etc?

How do you approach a show that has never had anything like this there before?

Do you have a press kit that you send out?

That's enough for now. PM me if you prefer. Any answers would be appreciated.

I am really looking forward to getting out there with the zibit.

Thanks,
Big Jeff
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
How big are the signs on the outside?
~Mine are huge, too big I think, they don't need to be huge, just visable.

~I mostly set up in a flea market in a stall, I don't need a tent.

~I made a wooden display case, with a plexi top and front.

~Stool.

~cash apron.

~10 bucks in quarters, 20 bucks in singles. Most people have a dollar on them, so it really isn't a problem.

~Flea Markets, I also sometimes use it while street performing.

~Can't help you there.

~nope

Hope that helps,
Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Thanks Brett,
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
You're welcome.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Press kit, no, but it gets a mention on the back of our show flyer.

Work it anywhere there are people a plenty.

Work out of 8x8 popup unit.

Signs made to fit the unit size.

Cash taken at our adjoining joke stall.

Zibb in fish tank put on top of picnic table,,,red velvet table cloth fringed in gold adds quality,,,Dougs Faye letter in guilt frame stands on top of zibb tank.

Virgin shows are offered the Strange Thing as an extra to our entertainment (Its offered at "No charge to them" So they grab it quick haha.

Working in pound and fifty pence units,,,requires very little float cash.

Ken
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Quote:
On 2007-09-04 00:25, Big Jeff wrote:

How big are the signs on the outside? I know what they say, I want to order them now.
I HAVE 4 2'x2' CHALK BOARDS FOR LARGER CROWDS AND SEVERAL FRAMED 9"x12" FRAMED SIGNS FOR SMALLER VENUES.

I HAVE ONE BUT HAVEN'T HAD TO USE IT YET. (TENT SUPPLIED OR SETUP AT INDOOR VENUES)

AQUARIUM W/ BOX AROUND IT OR PATTERNED CLOTH

WHATEVER IS AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. I'VE USED SEVERAL

A CONTAINER INTO WHICH THEY MUST DROP THE MONEY. THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT NOT ACTUALLY HANDLING THE CASH THAT IS COOL TO ME. I ONLY TRY TO HANDLE CASH WHEN HANDING THEM CHANGE.

$40 IN SINGLES, 2 $5 BILLS, AND SOME LOOSE QUARTERS ($2 OR MORE)IN CASE I NEED TO MAKE CHANGE FOR THE BLOW-OFF

WHATEVER MAKES SENSE TO ME AT THE TIME, OFTEN AS AN ADD-ON TO MY OWN VENDOR BOOTH AT A CONVENTION OR TRADE SHOW ("FREE WITH PURCHASE")

KID GLOVES AND CHARISMA

NO

That's enough for now. PM me if you prefer. Any answers would be appreciated.

I am really looking forward to getting out there with the zibit.

Thanks,
Big Jeff

Hope this helps,

Chris
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota

Top sign is 2' X 10' to fit the tent. If you are using an 8' X 8' tent you would only make it that size of course. Don't scrimp on this sign...it draws them in. Exact wording will come with your zbit. Don't change a thing. I have and it was just a waste of money. Other signs as fit.

I've used an EZup but if you can use a heavier tent.

Inverted aquarium with a sign on the side facing out so they can't see inside without coming in.

A heavy steel folding table. The zbit is too expensive to trust a cheap table.

Excess in the pockets. Otherwise I will stand with money folded in my hand...the sight of money draws people in.

Maybe enough for a twenty or two. It's a one dollar ding so you usually get plenty of change.

Flea markets and some fairs. The key is low nut and high people count.

With fleas I just rent a spot and usually they don't ask what I am doing. With fairs it depends if you are with the carnival or the fair organizer...some fairs will have both renting on the same grounds. The carnival will want to know what you are doing but it isn't new to them. Fair boards vary widely...they can be picky. With them you have an educational exhibit.

I never have but I know one guy who sends out a brochure with his educational exhibit.

One other thing. With a 10' front you have a lot of open space and this can lead to people who pretend they don't know it is a buck and "accidently" wander in. I have closed off 5' of it with a 4' high by 5' wide barricade. Ropes like theater line ropes would also work for this. They can still see inside but it cuts way down on the aggravation of the moochers.

The barricade is a metal frame and I have the other signs printed on vinyl that rolls up but fits the frame. I also use a rope that hangs on the frame on one side and hooks to the tent on the other. This was my wife's idea...I thought the constant moving the rope to let people in and out would be too much trouble. It is not and people respect the rope. Between the barricade and the rope I have pretty much eliminated people trying to get in for free and it doesn't seem to have affected profits at all, just eliminated a headache.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Thanks everyone.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Nice to see the 'boys' come forward. Big Jeff...better you keep the questions OFF the public forum. We are a small knit group with secrets that are not shared with the general population.
Of course I have the Toll Free number anytime you need a hand or advise. All these guys show in different situations and to a small degree have different experiences based on where they showed. Mota for example has done some of the bigger fairs...so his 'barricade' may or may not be useful for a Flea.

NOTE: You will get the FULL details with the Zibit...relax a bit and don't let your mind get too far ahead on this. Call me anytime. Biggest caution is DO NOT alter the signage or add a bunch of crap you THINK might work better. It wont. Top sign for an EAZY_UP 2x8 or 2x10 the TWO side banners are about 2 wide x 4 tall (2x3 is what I used). Any sign shop can do them.

Press kits...forget it. Waste of money in this case.

Call me for questions. The Café is Home but it's not for the inside stuff that WE do for a living...those not in the 'family' don't need to know a thing. Smile Many of the Tips are SUBTLE that can mean a successful show or not. Big Jeff you're in the Family now. Badda Bing.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Thanks Doug,

I thought I only asked general questions that weren't giving anything away.

I'll call with any other questions.

Thanks,
Big Jeff
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ah, you were just asking general questions to be sure...but with these guys they lead to other things rather quickly Smile. The idea is one of a WHOLE...the smallest elements working together to provide a net that captures the Dollar...I and those who are in the loop (which includes you) are protective of the things that would allow somebody outside the loop to gain an advantage in whatever system (HA!) they are using.

Funny thing over the years, there have been competitors see one of these shows working and raking it in and then attempt to copy the idea...strange thing is they can't really because they will always leave out or add to the wrong element...it's tight, precise and even Mota proof...as he said: "Don't change a thing. I have and it was just a waste of money." Smile It's the subtle tiny SIMPLE details that while may be seen as 'general', together create the whole...without the Key, to an outsider, it's just another show...they think all you need do is get some weird ass thing and charge a dollar. NOT. Close but no cigar. Smile

BTW: I just got this as a PM moments ago after I asked one of 'the guys', "How's it going..."

He replied...

"The Mer is doing wonderfully!!!!
I've used her at fairs and fests all year. She really goes great when I do my "Irish Tinker" character at Celtic fairs...but really she does great anywhere!
I'll be using her this weekend again...it's amazing how many will come up to see her again or bring their friends up. One of the best investments I"ve ever made!
Best, CM "

I get lots of these. Smile
Cool.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Doug is right...to say it is Mota-proof is something. I get some strange ideas sometimes...I'm not afraid to try them but some of them....ay carumba!

When I said changes were a waste of money I was being nice to myself. In addition to the wasted money I have no way to calculate how much I lost in income had I not "improved" on the original idea. I have no question it was substantial as I know how much I made before and after my "improvements".

Sometimes true genius lies in simplicity...Doug's approach is in that category. It is psychologically perfect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Zibit Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL