We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Rings, strings & things Ľ Ľ Sponge Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My most-requested and most performed close-up effect? "Peanut, Butter & Jelly," my sponge ball routine. Kids, adults, male, female, groups or singles, this has NEVER failed to play well for me.

My routine has a ball appearing from a purse frame--"Peanut" (after both hands have been shown empty), then splitting into two--"Peanut" and "Butter." Next, one ball jumps from one hand to the other, then from my hand to a specís, them again, only this time a third ball--"Jelly"--magically appears. Finally, one spec holds the purse frame, another hands me the 3 balls, one at a time, and all three vanish back into the invisible purse, and both hands are again shown empty, bringing the routine full circle.

Best part? The routine is INSTANTLY reset! And the patter ALWAYS gets laughs, while the magic ALWAYS gets gasps and applause!

I know many magicians feel the sponge balls are an incongrous prop and that they donít belong in the repertoire of the "true" close-up artist. All I can say is thank God for Magic by Gosh!

Scott F. Guinn

Great Scott! Itís Magic!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4803 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Sounds like a routine that really lets your audience have some fun! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5684 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Exactly perfect for sponge balls is a routine that is somewhat nonsensical fun. PB&J sounds like it does that.

Sounds like a blast for everybody.

Great, Scott. Smile

Tom
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Iíve seen a sponge ball routine whereby the performer continously produces the balls from the mouth and end with the production of a giant sponge ball Smile
Bernard Sim
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
Iíve discovered Sponge balls only recently.

Iíve searched for books, videoís or routines at my magic shop in Rome.

Iíve found some of them that are great, and Iíve noticed that often the moves are the same used for cup & Balls.

So what do you think about a routine where you start with sponge balls and soon after, add cups to show that the balls disappear also if they are under cups and not in our hands?

Massimo
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4803 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Sponge balls being used with the cups is very good, I've often used larger sponge balls for final loads as well. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Hey Scott I wanted to tell you that I am a follower of Visions and visit about once or twice a week. I like the "In Your Hands" section and was wondering if you were going to post any killer sponge balls routines in the near future. I am a lover of the sponges and I would like to see how your creative mind works with them.

p.s. - Your "Pro-File" section is also great. Lots of solid advice that I will follow.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6581 Posts

I probably wonít be putting my sponge routine on Visions, as I sell it as a separate item with all the necessary accouterments. But thank you for your kind words!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Hi guys, any idea where to get the routine whereby spong balls are continously produced from the mouth and end with a jumbo sponge ball? Thanks in advance. Smile
Bernard Sim
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Bernard, as I recall, that is on Vito Lupo's video.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Couldn't agree more. Sponge balls kill, period.

My sponge ball joke...

The next time that you are in your local magic shop ask the guy "Do you have sponge balls?" He will say "Yes!" Then ask "Do they swell up when you take a bath?" Smile
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6581 Posts

Cardguy,

I forgot to mention that my sponge routine also appears in my book, Great Scott! It's More Magic!
My Lybrary Page
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Pat Page has a great Video on Sponge Balls. Covers all the basic moves, vanishes, splitting, continuous production from the mouth etc. It also has a couple of complete routines, plus routines with a cup, Benson Bowl routine, hats etc.

Brilliant, Brilliant, brilliant Stuff. Itís available from http://www.llpub.com
plus Iím sure many other dealers.

Cheers
Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Mark V
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Mark V
Carl Andrews has a very nice sponge ball routine on his third video. I've used it for families in the restaurant as well as for adults in the bar. Virtually the same routine plays just as well for either audience.
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
174 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
I recently went through the Jon Jensen Professional Sponge Ball Magic Volumes 1 & 2. There is a 3rd volume promised on sponge rabbits.

These volumes held such promise as a "complete" sponge ball reference, but although the content was okay, I'm not crazy about the production values of the books. The writing style is informal, and there are several typos in the books. Also, to get all three will cost up to $45 ($15 each).

At that price I'd have prefered a nice hard copy book!

Anyway, they are worth checking out.

Doug A.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I've got both books as well. Vol 1 and 2 came out a few months apart. But Vol 2 was out like almost 1 1/2 years ago. When will Vol 3 be out?
Bernard Sim
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
I couldnít agree with you any more Mark V.

Carl Andrews SB routine is very easy to perform for anyone (anywhere) and goes down very well. I tried changing it a bit and making up a different story but nothing could beat his routine.

Like the man said "If it ainít broke donít fix it"

Joe Smile
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Quote:
On 2001-12-04 11:45, Andy Charlton wrote:
Pat Page has a great Video on Sponge Balls. Covers all the basic moves, vanishes, splitting, continuous production from the mouth etc. It also has a couple of complete routines, plus routines with a cup, Benson Bowl routine, hats etc.

You know, (not to step on your toes, Andy), I wasn't THAT impressed with Pat Page's sponge ball vid... EXCEPT it DID show me the sponge balls from mouth trick... Alright, now I'm probably written off as a total beginner... But am I correct in thinking that MOST of the sponge ball moves are the same, and in that aspect sb's can be limiting, but on the other hand, they're limited only by your creativity!

Puttin' on the thinkin' cap and drinkin' some creative brain juice,
Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5556 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hi All,

Sponge Balls, besides their varying size and shape, I have come across three types of sponge balls material which are known as normal sponge, soft sponge and super soft sponge.

How does one select a particular sponge ball (size and material)? What are the governing criteria to do so? Why round sponge balls are used in most routines?

I would be very grateful if someone could provide a logical presentation.

From India with regards,

CHEERS!! Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Like others have written on this post, magic does not have to be logical.

Great Scott said that if you really had magical powers you would take over the world instead of entertaining people while they dine. So, magic is supposed to be a fun means of entertaining people.

What's more fun than a great sponge ball routine? It keeps the kids spellbound and makes the adults smile at the same time. You don't need a logical explanation to present them because no matter how serious you make your sponge ball routine, the truth of the matter is that they are just silly red balls made out of sponge!

Everyone knows that they are silly but they are also fun!! They are perfect for "breaking the ice" with a group or a table because they set a fun atmosphere and let people know that if they watch you they will have a good time.

But if you are compelled to explain why you carry them around, make a cute story out of them. Aldo Colombini says they are clown noses in his routine. Be creative, but have fun with them. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Rings, strings & things Ľ Ľ Sponge Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL