The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Poker Machine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3322 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Cesarals products are great. His customer service is second to none.

The Poker Machine is a completely different animal.

Both are great in my opinion.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1909 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Agree to that. I have the Cesaral calculator but the two effects are essentially different and I won't try performing the Poker machine routine with the cesaral calculator, although it COULD be done (with m****d cards for example...).
Ben
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
One thing Cesaral forgets is that on the fourth phase of the Poker Machine, you honestly do NOT know the identity of the unknown card until the machine reveals it to you. How can you transmit something to a calculator when you don't know what it is?

I, too, admire Cesarals machines, and own them both, but to muddle the direct and easily understood no-confusion presentation of the Poker Machine by trying to accomplish it with a calculator intended for another purpose is almost silly. For example, when a spectator enters a card into the Poker Machine, the display reads:

2 of Diamonds

Assuming, of course it is the 2D. It reads exactly as shown above, so the spectator can see that he is entering a card. After the four cards have been entered, it would look like:

2 of Diamonds
4 of Hearts
8 of Spades
J of Hearts

Then the above display fades away completely and a huge "A" and a huge Club Pip (not the word,) appear almost filling the display, so it clearly, and with no silly decoding, shows the unknown card.

The Cesaral/Poker Machine comparison is like using a Devano deck to locate a chosen card! Sure, the pins could be placed right ontop of the card, etc., but wouldn't it be a little more direct to just use a short card or crimp or even a sleight?

And, once again to reiterate, on the final phase of the Poker Machine you do not know the identity of the unknown card and the other four are entered in ANY order the spectator wishes. Then you ALL learn the identity of the unknown card when the machine reveals it. Sorry, but the Cesaral machine cannot do that.

And, finally, you COULD make the Poker Machine exactly replicate the first effect of Mental Calculator (one of 8 predictions,) but why would you??? It was never intended for that purpose.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1909 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I think we all agree to that John.
Ben
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Personally, I think Cesaral shows extremely poor taste in hijacking this thread to shill his products. This thread is about the Poker Machine.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Thank you. I agree.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3322 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can somebody share the Gaetan Bloom routine with me? PM me and I can prove that I have the Poker Machine.

Thanks
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
You must have bought yours a VERY long time ago since I have included the Bloom routine with them for at least two years now. In any case, if you PM me with your email address, I will forward Gaetan's routine.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I love Stangler's Poker Machine. It is a top effect. Blows people away, even cynical spectators are intrigued.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3322 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have two Poker Machines. One I bought directly from John over 5 years ago, the other from someone on the Café. Neither of the instructions has a signature or Gaetans effect on it. Nor is there any "reset" instructions.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
This sounds very interesting. I will have to check with my distributors, and see if I can carry them.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I don't know who your distributor is, but NOBODY has any rights to sell this item except me, John Mendoza, and Hocus Pocus, the only outlet I authorized to sell the machine. That is the very reason why I've stopped servicing any machines that don't have the registration number and my signed sheet; somebody has been copying it and selling it.

So, unless it's Hocus Pocus, NO distributor has access to this machine and I don't believe Paul wholesales them...in fact, I know he doesn't.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Apparently, Nexus doesn't know with whom he's speaking here...runawayjag, tell him!

Steve
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John Mendoza does a performance of the Poker Machine on volume 3 of his L&L DVD set. Baffling and entertaining is all I can say when watching it. Just a beautiful piece of magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3322 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Some advice: Whatever you do, don't lose the instructions! Because if you do, and the machine loses its program, you are screwed. Unless you recently purchased it, in which case the serial number is recorded-then you can send it back.

I purchased two of these units over 5 years ago. No re-set information was included back then. Recently I moved and in moving the box with the original instructions was inadvertantly thrown away. Last week I purchased a third unit from a Café member. It did not have the re-set info or signature on the original instructions.

In an attempt to get the re-set information should it ever be neccessary (I have never up to now needed it) I offered to return one of my units to verify that it is an original. I guess that's not good enough.

If you do a search, you will find that I have posted very positive comments about this little gem, as well as very positive comments about the customer service that you receive if you purchase this. I'm afraid I have to retract my comments about customer service now. I guess I am going to have to spend another $350.00 just to gain a paragraph telling me how I can re-set the machine should a spectator hit the wrong sequence of keys!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm not sure anything you've said in your post would be related to John's customer service in any way whatsoever.

John's customer service is unequaled, excellent, and 100% consistent.

He makes it crystal clear in his instructions that, should you lose the sheet with his signature on it, he likely won't be able to help you in case of a serious problem.

He has also made it crystal clear that, because the actual unit itself is a Texas Instruments calculator, widely available to anybody, folks have bootlegged the Poker Machine, and a number of the machines currently circulating are in fact bootleg machines.
He has also stated that he has no interest (obviously) in supporting or otherwise assisting those who have purchased or created bootleg Poker Machines.

Frankly, with all of the warnings both here on the Café, and in John's original paperwork, I'm amazed that somebody would actually lose their instructions, or purchase a Poker Machine without asking FIRST, "have you got the original, signed sheet from John"?

Folks have to take responsibility for ensuring that the paperwork that accompanies all authorized Poker Machines doesn't get lost. I really don't see you losing your original instructions (or buying used Poker Machines without instructions attached) as having anything to do with John Mendoza's excellent customer service at all.

As for the spec hitting the wrong sequence of keys and that causing the program to somehow vanish, that's a 100% false statement.
The instructions make perfectly clear that any error made by a spec can be instantly corrected by the magician, and the instructions also make perfectly clear how that is done.

If you can't keep the instructions for your Poker Machine safe, and you can't pay enough attention to what's going on during your performance that you can't stop a spec from hitting a longggggggg string of the wrong keys before you interject with a correction.......I'd say the Poker Machine probably isn't the effect for you!

For those who actually follow John's instructions, ensure that they're only purchasing authorized merchandise, and keep their original instructions safe.......... the effect is quite simply the most powerful piece of close-up magic I've ever seen.

I've got a couple of Poker Machines, and the paperwork for both is kept with my Passport, and other important documents.
The possibility of it getting lost is zero.

In the few years I've owned these 2 Poker Machines, and with keeping both batteries in both machines fresh every year (as explicitly detailed by Johns instructions).....along with paying 100% attention during the actual effect when the spec is entering his cards.....I've not had a single issue with either Poker Machine, and don't expect I ever will.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3322 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Silverking,

What about those of us who purchased the Poker Machine BEFORE the instructions were re-written to include all the disclaimers you mention?????????

Ummm, mine and several of my Café friends have the ORIGINAL Poker Machine that does NOT have a signature. What then? It is our fault that we purchased this item directly from John and he didn't keep a record of such sales so we are just out of luck??? Nice. Sounds like I made the mistake of purchasing this item too darn soon. I should have said, "Hey, I better wait a few years, maybe they will change the instructions and include a re-set that I may need".

You sound perfect, Im sure YOU would never lose anything, in a flood, or disaster, or anywhere.

I politely asked a question about 5 or 6 times. Here is the answer I got>...................................silence. Is that good customer service? Tell me that I am out of luck..at least that is an answer! Ignoring a life long customer that has supported you in the past is not good customer service. I have posted as far back as 2006 on how impressed I WAS with the customer service on this machine.My opinion has changed. You might be surprised how many others feel the same way.

Hope a burgler never comes into your house and steals your instructions!! lol....you will be out $700.00 if the machine ever fails.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Rowdymagic:

You didn't get silence. You got the Gaetan Bloom routine you requested almost immediately. THEN you requested reprogramming instructions claiming you misplaced your instructions.

The reason I am trying to find out about the machine is that you stated that you had to affix the pips to the machine yourself. I do not send them out that way unless it is a backup machine, which I do supply buyers with at greatly reduced prices. Often, people sell their other machine and then keep the backup machine so they can end up netting a Poker Machine at a greatly reduced price. I don't care if they do that, but I don't re-program the backup machines. That's why a backup was sold.

You also emailed Paul Gross telling him you bought it from him, so which is it? Did you buy it from me or from Paul?

That's the reason I have been so adamant about servicing machines without the documentation. And, by the way, the documentation was not instated just a couple of years ago, but has been in effect for at least 4 years.

I also must say that I do find it unusual that so many have "lost" their instructions in a move or misplaced them, etc. The instructions are not a single sheet, but ELEVEN pages, so it's hard to misplace that.

In any case, send me the serial number of your machine and I will send you reprogramming instructions and record this serial number for future use. I will also mail you a signed registration sheet with that number on it. Do NOT lose it because I won't re-set the machine again without it.

I am quite proud of my service to those who have purchased the machines from me and can document it. I turn machines around in 24 hours so customers aren't without them any longer than the postal service demands.

Anyway, PM me with your serial number and I will send you the reprogramming instructions.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Rowdymagic:

I have now PM'ed you the re-set instructions to re-set your machine. As the instructions advise, if this process does not work, the machine will have to be returned for complete re-programming. When you return it, include a new set of both batteries (4 AAA's and one CR1616) UNINSTALLED. Do NOT install them in the machine. I will do that right before re-programming. Since you don't have the documentation, there is a charge for the re-programming. As stated in the instructions, the first re-program is free, everyone thereafter is $10.00 plus return shipping. Your machine will be re-programmed and back in the mail to you the very same day I receive it. Thanks.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3322 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
John,

Yes, I bought two directly from you, one as a back-up that I affixed the pips myself.

I emailed Paul Gross only after not hearing back from you after several attempts to resolve this. I actually did buy one from Paul as well. As crazy as it sounds, I bought one, sold it, regretted selling it, and hence purchased two more from you. One I gave to a friend as a gift, and just recently bought another one from a Café member on here. I sometimes buy an item that I already have if the price is too good to pass up.

I did make a boneheaded mistake and lost the instructions when I moved. I can blame my son, as he threw the box away, but I take responsibility for not being more clear and marking the box correctly.

I do appreciate you making this right. If I had recieved any type of answer (even one I may not agree with) I would not have posted in this forum.

I am clear on everything now, and appreciate your resolving this with me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Poker Machine (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL