The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Poker Machine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
This is a great item, and John really stands behind what he sells. That's a good thing these days.

Steve
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Rowdymagic: Thanks and I'm sorry I've caused you some inconvenience.

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words and PLEASE, if you own one, don't lose the signed sheet. I really con't want to re-set machines that were bought from anyone other than Paul Gross and myself because nobody else should be selling them. Thanks.
laragmad
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of laragmad
I casually saw the effect performed and the routine is beautifully constructed, with all the right subtleties in the right place (taking and old classic to a real magic level). It's an example of magic mastery. However, I felt that the physical hardware used made it seem a little bit outdated. So, I reengineered it for working with any current mobile device (see a pic attached). I guess that the algorithm and procedure I designed must be rather similar to the original ones and the effect can be performed entirely in the same way (including the disarming 4th phase).
As my little contribution to the magic community I would like to donate this new application to whoever distributes (or has the rights of) the current effect just in case he can do any good out of it. Feel free to request the executable and I hope it will work fine.

Click here to view attached image.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Hi,

Nobody has the rights to manufacture, sell or distribute the machine except for Al Stanger, Paul Gross and myself, John Mendoza. So, unless it is one of those three requesting the information, they are not entitled to it. Your machine looks very nice, but please do NOT distribute the application to anyone other than the three stated here. Thanks.

John Mendoza
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I have one of these that I bought off a Café member. It didn't come with a signed sheet, and it does need work doing on it, especially as one of the buttons doesn't work. I should have sent it to John to fix, but never managed to get around to doing it. That being said, I think this would do very well being updated, being created into an iPhone App or something like that (at a cost ofcourse), and I would happily pay the amount it costs new, just for the App to put on my iPhone! I know this probably won't happen, but I do believe it needs updating personally.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
laragmad
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of laragmad
Thank you. That was my only and original intention as I stated in my first post as a sign of respect and recognition to your (3) brilliant thinking around the idea of the effect. If you PM me your email address I would be pleased to submit you for your consideration the executable and a brief documentation of the algorithm, procedure and method designed (as I do not know the original ones I cannot foresee how much they could ressemble). From there on, I would appreciate (and adhere to) your ideas or suggestions on how to proceed or how to improve it. Best regards.
PS: I will be leaving on vacation in a few hours so indulge me if I were not able of responding you immediately
laragmad
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of laragmad
(Ooops!) This reply was intended for Mr.John Mendoza:
Thank you. That was my only and original intention as I stated in my first post as a sign of respect and recognition to your (3) brilliant thinking around the idea of the effect. If you PM me your email address I would be pleased to submit you for your consideration the executable and a brief documentation of the algorithm, procedure and method designed (as I do not know the original ones I cannot foresee how much they could ressemble). From there on, I would appreciate (and adhere to) your ideas or suggestions on how to proceed or how to improve it. Best regards.
PS: I will be leaving on vacation in a few hours so indulge me if I were not able of responding you immediately
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
I recently purchased the Poker Machine from Mr. Mendoza and must say that it's simply diabolical. I'm extremely pleased with the product (it makes me smile every time I do it, even in practice) and Mr. Mendoza has been a pleasure to deal with. For those who don't have the Gaetan Bloom routine, I don't think you're missing much -- it's fine, as you'd expect, but I think the original routine is stronger and dealing with the higher cards is really pretty simple.

For some reason, it strikes me that doing the effect with an iPhone would significantly diminish its magical nature. As it is, you have acquired a magical poker machine -- something you bought from a guy in Vegas, say. It's big and strange. It does this one miraculous thing. Doing the trick on an iPhone would be hitting the audience over the head with the fact that the machine itself is not some rare magic machine but instead is a computer app out there that you (the audience member) could simply download if you wanted to.

In any event, the Poker Machine is a real gem. Highly recommended, although I'd prefer that as few people as possible get to know how it works.
icuryy
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I thought about it for awhile and, actually, I don't think it needs to be updated. Socalesq is correct in that doing it with an iPhone would take away much of the charm. It makes it too technical. Kind of like when you play a Slot Machine, you like to see the actual the spinning wheels...seeing a digital display flash as though it's spinning is not the same.

The only thing I tried to do when I first started making them was get a set of actual printed suit buttons made for the machine....(WAY too expensive and had to buy WAY too many, plus installing them wasn't particularly easy) and, secondly, finding a smaller simpler calculator that could run the program. Neither was possible, so it stays the way it is.

However, having done it for over a decade now and literally thousands of times, nobody has ever made any comments about the machine itself (other than, "how can that possibly work?") so I doubt that I'll ever change it.

I'm amazed that more people don't own AND DO this. I suspect it may be because of the price or the fact that it's not a "right out of the box" trick that you can do right away. But, if you learn it, and try it one time for a real audience (even magicians,) you'll do it often, believe me.

Thanks for all the kind words from those of you who have one.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I have Poker Machine and I really happy with this...
I consider this is one of the genious invention.

CC
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1282 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Never change a winning team!!!!

The calculator, the program and the provided routines are one of the strongest demonstrations (especially in card magic or poker demonstrations) you can do.

Again with the right presentation this really kills! I LOVE IT!!!

Best,
John
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
I would get this (although I figured out how it worked the first time I saw it performed), but I am scared away by the fact(?) that if you press the wrong button(s) or do something else wrong, you will lose the programming and have to send it back to be re-programmed (perhaps for a fee?).

There ought to be a way to make the device so that the owner can correct any such errors himself. It is a devilishly clever device, however, and Mr. Mendoza's brilliant routining must be a joy to perform.

DK
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1282 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I bet you saw a poor performance, NO ONE will figure this out if you present it well! And you don´t have to push a button, your helper from the audience will. If they do it right the card they picked will show up on the display, if they make a mistake the wrong card will show up and you let your helper correct his or her error by clearing that one wrong card and put it in again...

SO EASY!!!

BUY IT DARK KNIGHT AND YOU WILL SMILE FOR A LONG TIME... I PROMISE!

Best,
John
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
I would seriously consider buying it if it did not have the potential for losing the programming (and having to send it back for reprogramming) mentioned above.

DK
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
The reprogramming does seem to be a a problem if someone touches the wrong keys..
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I would concur that Dark Knight either saw a seriously poor performance or not my Poker Machine. Believe me, some of the names who have been fooled by this are like a Who's Who of card magic and Lennart Green actually got the very first one way back when it first became available. That's how good it is. I remember watching Al do it for him in the airport.

Regarding the buttons, people are so terribly misinformed when they don't really own one. First, touching the wrong button does NOT lose the progam and the instructions clearly tell you how to correct an erroneous entry. Where do people get their information? The only way to lose the program is to remove both sets of batteries at the same time or let the 1620 go bad and, not realizing it, change the AAA's with a dead backup battery. Pushing the wrong button does NOT lose the program. It can take you OUT of the program, but, again, the instructions tell you the simply two keystroke process to get you right back in.

So, if that's keeping you from buying one, don't worry. I've had mine for almost 12 YEARS now and never had to re-program it! Same with my backup.

Anyway, wanted to clear that up. Have a Great Thanksgiving, everyone.
lil_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lil_magic
I have one for sale if anyone is interested but I lost the instructions for it so its just the machine for a good deal
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
195 Posts

Profile of AllanK
I purchased this a few months ago from Hocus Pocus and can confirm that this is one of the most mind-boggling tricks I have ever seen. I often get to perform for mathematicians (!), and this just kills them - even those who know the principle upon which the trick is based. I should add that I did not believe the description of the final phase given in the advertisement - but it's true! You really don't know which card has been chosen, and the spectator really can enter the cards in any order he/she likes. This is what makes it a real miracle.

There have been some concerns expressed in this post about "pressing the wrong buttons". The instructions clearly explain how to get out of this - you can't lose the program in this way! Having said that, I had the misfortune of having my calculator "die" - this was an electronic failure of the calculator - nothing to do with the program. I contacted John Mendoza directly through the Café and he replied instantly. He replaced my calculator free of charge (I live in Australia; that's a long way to post!), quickly, and without any fuss. To top it all, he was most apologetic for any inconvenience that I may have suffered! I must say that this level of service, pride in one's work, and genuine care for customers is very rare. The fact that John has written some of the greatest books on close-up magic and could easily rest on his laurels if he wanted to makes his involvement in rectifying my problem all the more special.

Do I sound impressed? You bet I am!

Thanks, John!
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Really, the instructions are very, very clear and you need have no worry about the wrong button being pressed. Great machine and a good, solid routine. Really recommend this little machine. Also, as stated above, John was really very helpful - my machine came out to Dubai, and if you know this neck of the woods then you will understand the bureaucracy/lack of decent postal service and the machine was 'missing' for some time. John provided lots of help in tracking it down. Good service and a great effect!
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Thanks for the kind words. If anyone is looking for one, PM me as I have a couple extras since I made one up to replace Allan K's machine. I sell them at a very special price and now include the L&L DVD set with it so you can see it actually performed. And, yes, shipping to Dubai was quite an adventure!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Poker Machine (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL