The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which would you rather perform for... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
...a cynic or a skeptic? And why?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Would college students be both?

Maybe skeptics would be more fun for sucker type tricks and cynics might enjoy story routines. IE to use their disposition/motivations to enroll them into the performance.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Definitely a skeptic. Skeptics are fully capable of appreciating and enjoying magic. Cynics are usually just annoying. In fact, I'd rather perform for a skeptic than a non-skeptic. Consider Whit Haydn's classic dilemma that, when good magic is performed well, "impales" spectators -

1. There is no such thing as magic.
2. There is no other explanation.

If one isn't a skeptic, though, premise 1 doesn't apply, and there's no dilemma. I'm reminded of the experience of a good friend of mine, Ken Sands. Inside a magic shop, Ken was performing for a woman and her daughter, who was about 4 or 5 years old. He vanished a quarter, to the astonishment of the mother. The daughter, however, was not visibly moved. The mother said to her, "Honey, wasn't that amazing? The quarter just disappeared!" The little girl shrugged her shoulders and said, "That's why they call it the magic shop!" The mother (the skeptic) knew that quarters aren't supposed to just disappear, even in a magic shop. The daughter did not, and as a result, was less astonished. I prefer Whit's devilish grin, which seems to say, "Now, we both know that can't happen...but it did! You saw it," and plays perfectly well to skeptics and true believers alike, than the David Blaine "deep," "mysterious" stare that says, "I really have secret powers," and plays very well to the true believers, but leaves many skeptics saying, "What a cornball."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Unless you're a child, most people are skeptical. Give it time ... or move to NYC. Smile
POOF!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you truly understand the meaning of the word sceptic?

Many people claim to be a sceptic, when in fact they are just a cynic, and a cynic is much easier to con than a true sceptic.

According to some psychic. Or is it psychiK, but I don’t know.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
The skeptic because I think they would tip better than a cynic.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
It doesn't matter to me as long as it is a paying gig.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think you is another psychic but I didn't take note.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
"Psychik" would be a direct translitteration from the Greek. "Psychic" is the anglicized version and considered the correct form in English.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I knew you were going to say that, but I still don't trust the force.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Both
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Really depends on the Cynic and the Skeptic. Those particular personality types do not, in and of themselves pose a threat to what we do. I have performed for may cynics and skeptics who truly enjoyed my work. I have performed for others who were unable to enjoy the work of any magician. Those are the ones I send on their way. The people who think of magic as an afront to their intelligence, the ones who don't get what magic is, and is supposed to be. The ones who are compelled by their egos, not only to deduce what is happening, but to blurt it out to all present, be their explanation right or wrong.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Who's smaller? I would perform for the little guy so that I could resort to violence, because well... you know.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
I am not sure I can say either skeptic or cynic. They both represent a challenge, and are both potentially hostile, though not necessarily so. Most importantly they both require your best performance. Something we should all be striving for in any setting.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Uh...what Drew (JackScratch) said...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
Um ... I thought a cynic was someone who believes everyone is motivated by self-interest. Whereas a skeptic (not septic!) is someone who would prefer to call 'magic' either 'science' or 'superstition'. The first shouldn't be a problem and the second can be as delighted with an illusion as the next man or woman. Routines with ridiculous 'cause and effect' plots are great with both these guys. I agree with Mr Scratch above that it's the 'Alpha-ego' type stuck in adolescence that closes down the show.
Don't forget to breathe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which would you rather perform for... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL