The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What do you say to... what do you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James_Lee
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of James_Lee
I wasn't sure where to post this, so forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

I've noticed with the last few calls I have received, typically for kids birthday parties, that after I explain that we do a fun, very interactive kids magic show, the people ask... Well what do you do? I then tell them we get the kids on stage with us to do magic, we make them the magician, in certain cases, and they assist a lot. They then ask again, what do you do? Am I missing the question... I have been doing kids shows for 10 years and only recently has this question ever come up. What do you say, what would you say? Thanks in advance

James Lee
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
They actually want to know what tricks you are going to perform. Like if you told them they would know what you were talking about. I get this question from time to time and I'm not sure I have the answer. I would be interested in hearing what other would do.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Although I don't do kid's shows, I do pitch Svengali Decks and pocket magic at street festivals, municipal fairs and so forth -- and my primary buyers are children.

I have also gotten this question, and have decided that it is actually a safety question. These folks have seen David Blaine on TV doing all sorts of crazy and dangerous things, or Copperfield and Burton using flash paper, fire pots and more on stage. That's their frame of reference.

So I simply explain that I sell small magic tricks with playing cards, coins, balls and handkerchiefs --- no knives, nothing sharp, no fire, nothing dangerous. That seems to satisfy them and be a sufficient explanation.

I agree with Eldon, if I actually explained that I was selling Svengali Decks and Magic Worms, they wouldn't have a clue. This is simpler, completely accurate, and it works. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
What do you do ... may mean what are you going to perform on that day or are you a magician by profession or what do you do for a living.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Ask them what they mean and answer their question. But, don't ask open ended questions, because some people may not be terribly articulate. It's better to present them with several interpretations of the question. Communication is a huge part of selling shows.
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
I personally agree with everything that has been said above, and would also add that the client may literally mean "What tricks do you perform?" This is the power of a demo video. It allows clients to see what you do, without you having to explain yourself how amazing you are. Better to let your magic speak for you than an ego Smile.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree, Kevin, a picture speaks a thousand words. Likewise a video creates an impact words may not be able to do so.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What do you say to... what do you do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL