The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Corporate Magic Rates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Just curious to get opinions from anybody in terms of pricing. As of this year (2007), my rates vary from $300/hr for strolling magic at a private party to $2000+ for a corporate stage show. A few clients who I have dealt with have actually felt that what they received was far under priced, and that I should be charging more for my services. Obviously, this is good and well, but I also realize that not every corporation can afford inflated fees. I don't like price gouging, and do not want to charge a certain group more money simply because they
can afford it. For those of you who do not mind discussing matters of money, what's your opinion on what a magician should receive for anything from strolling magic to a large stage show?

By the way, I have set up a Google Group for discussing corporate magic. Obviously, the Café is great for discussing business of all sorts, but I thought that if anybody wanted a place to specifically discuss "corporate performance," it might be a little more focused. If you have ever want to check it out, go to http://groups.google.com/group/corporate-magicians/.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If your client thinks you are providing more than they are paying for, you will NEVER be out of work.

I don't care what your price is, as it varries from geographic location to another, BUT the formula for providing exellent service and a fair price will never go out of style.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
My corporate rate is $250 an hour two hour min.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
My corporate rate is $250 an hour and two hour minimum as well. I went to a gig and they started bragging to other booths telling them my rate and that I was good and inexpensive. I thought about raising it. I ended up getting a pretty good tip.

-john
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Quote:
On 2007-09-05 18:15, Dannydoyle wrote:

I don't care what your price is, as it varries from geographic location to another

I disagree. If you position youself as an "expert" or above par performer geographic location does not matter. If you have a show that is better than Copperfield's (and after reading some reviews of his latest show, you might not have a problem accomplishing this) you should be able to charge whatever you want.

With that said, one needs to be an extremely good performer and have something that the client feels is absolutely vital to making event explode. You are brought in for a reason.

Josh London
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Bruce Munton offers the best value in UK. His price point is £200 including travelling from Lincoln. he is the best mop up man in table hand.
Art Vandalay
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Art Vandalay
Whenever a magician tells you his fee or posts it in public I find that he exaggerates so I have a special formula to find out their true fee.

Divide the fee they state by two and then add on the cost of a meal for two (with wine).
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I heard divide by 2 and take 10%. That's the perfromers true fee.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 09:58, joshlondon17 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-05 18:15, Dannydoyle wrote:

I don't care what your price is, as it varries from geographic location to another

I disagree. If you position youself as an "expert" or above par performer geographic location does not matter. If you have a show that is better than Copperfield's (and after reading some reviews of his latest show, you might not have a problem accomplishing this) you should be able to charge whatever you want.

With that said, one needs to be an extremely good performer and have something that the client feels is absolutely vital to making event explode. You are brought in for a reason.

Josh London

Josh the point is that you can only charge so much in Davenport Iowa. That price is far less than you can Charge in New York. This is a simple fact and not in dispute. You can position yourself as anything you want, the market will only bear so much. The limits are very real. It is simple business 101.

This fact can help you if you need to employ people such as a factory, you get labor cheaper. BUT when it comes to selling things, you want to be in the higher market areas. As we don't generally in magic manufacture anything, that factor does not help us at all.

Tickets for Copperfield in Vegas cost more than him in Springfield Missouri.

If you want to say you can move to a new market, or travel to another market, then yep no problem but THAT market will only bear so much.

The main point is that if people feel they are getting MORE than they are paying for, then you will work forever. This is a simple fact and is geographically neutral. Again business 101 really.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Dear Mr. Vandalay:
I hadn't heard of that equation. In my case, that's my rate, but maybe I should raise it. By the way, how is the architecture business? Or are you a marine biologist?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
I would disagree with that formula for the performer's true fee as well. I tend to think that most people are pretty honest, and it's kind of easy to figure out if somebody is b.s.ing or not. What I mentioned is my true rate as well.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
JAMES my friend...
RAISE YoUR RATE.... way too low for LA...
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Danny,

I agree 100% with your above post. Positioning can only do so much in a market. I am very fortunate to live in the San Diego area, where I can tap into the San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles markets. I know of performers that came from the Sacramento area and moved here, and they have realized that they can get much higher rates here.

Although, I guess the cost of living is much higher here as well, so are we really getting paid that much more?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Kevin,

I am in LA,,, I perform about 10 times a year or so in San Diego.... Maybe we should meet up sometime are you going to the cannon escape convention?
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Curtis,

I wasn't planning on going to the escape convention, but I'd love to get together with you sometime. I do quite a bit of work in the LA area, but most of my performing is in San Diego. If you go to http://www.kevinvinermagic.com, all my contact info is there.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I usually quote from $350 t0 $400 an hour with a two hour minium - or for a stand up gig it's $350 in a home with a small audience but $1200 in a hotel for the same type show (more work).

I like to ask a lot of questions before the price is given..... a lot. I ofter options like electronic magic (lie detector). I'm not exposing anything but adding value to the price because they have an impression that all magic is not created equal.

Trade show prices are down from several years ago. I like to get $600 to $750 for 4 to 5 hours per day and knock off a few hundred if its for three days + expenses.

So, James and I want to know - what was the answer... Is he and architec or a biologist? Wasn't that a name used on Seinfield? I get it... No one will know.. Nice picture Mr "Vandalay" if that is your real name.
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Jay,

Thanks for the response. How's everything going? We spoke on the phone a few months back about the stupid Newport Beach tax for performing in their city.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Kevin, You would have fun at the escape artist convention. It wouldn't hurt to add an escape to an illusion show. (I hope you took the tax man rolls of pennys to count.)

I'm still waiting to see who the real Mr Vandalay is..........

Still waiting.......
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Michael T
In Great Britain you can book a magician from Gumtree for around £100 ($300)
If you are talking corporates and gigs for royalty you are looking at double that plus VAT and only Jumping frogs artists get these jobs. All other jobs are posted on the UKmagic networking group and go to Rob Cox (the magical Humourist).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wait did I misread or did you tell us you only get $600 bucks for a show for royalty? I had to misread that.

I have the wrong definition of royalty I guess.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Corporate Magic Rates (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL