The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your reason for leaving a restaurant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have left restaurants because the business was too slow or I could not keep up with the Saturdays because of my private magic shows I had. But my #1 reason for leaving a restaurant is because of new management.

I was working at a TGI Fridays for 2 years. The general manager was being transfered to Chicago. The new manager did not want a magician.

Another time when I was working at a restaurant called Fishbones for 3 years. The general manager got fired. The new general manager stopped the magic on Wednesdays, Karaoke on Thursdays and the live band on Fridays.

Another time I was working at Champps Americana for one year. A new general manager came in. He let me stay also. Two more years later a different general manager entered. He let me go without giving me a reason.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I did get a 2-month break from one of the Pizza Huts where I've worked for over 10 years. New manager didn't think balloons/magic was worth the (not cheap) expense. He wanted to just let the young 'uns run wild in the party room and watch movies on the TV...he was going to go to go rent movies for 'em to watch (by the way, this type of public exhibition of copyrighted movies is forbidden and illegal!)...

The AGM (area general manager) got wind of that action, fired the guy and called me back in to entertain.

Steve
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 05:56, Dynamike wrote:
But my #1 reason for leaving a restaurant is because of new management.
I was working at a TGI Fridays for 2 years. The general manager was being transfered to Chicago. The new manager did not want a magician.

Sounds like you didn't leave, you were let go. Big difference.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I don't think ANY OF US leave a restaurant of our own will. Usually a new Manager comes in and there ya go! This is why I ALWAYS have a signed contract. It's saved me on more than one occassion. They can tell me not tom come in to entertain...but they'll still pay me regardless.

Several years ago, I had to take a restaurant to court over this. Had played a gig for about 6 months, the place signed me on for another 6...a month later, they changed management, the new guy was a religious nut (man I hate those kind of people) and wanted nothing to do with me and refused to pay me. I took them to court, I won, he paid...and then a few months later the place shut down. I think it's a furniture store now.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I will put you on my church prayer list..Cordially,Howard
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
the new guy was a religious nut (man I hate those kind of people)

Oh come on Christopher....that wasn't nice or necessary. And to find out that you hate me already and don't even know me...... However, if the guy had a signed contract and refused to pay you...that is unethical and I would think that possibly he is not as nutty, or religious as once thought...or maybe that is the problem...he has the religion thing (all talk) down pat, but not the relationship...

Sorry, I'm not a preacher and don't mean to preach but it is people like (the manager that wouldn't pay) that that give true Christians a bad wrap....

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 09:54, lylemagic wrote:

Jesus was a religeous nut. Sometimes they save the world.........
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 12:34, dlachance wrote:

Oh come on Christopher....that wasn't nice or necessary. And to find out that you hate me already and don't even know me...... However, if the guy had a signed contract and refused to pay you...that is unethical and I would think that possibly he is not as nutty, or religious as once thought...or maybe that is the problem...he has the religion thing (all talk) down pat, but not the relationship...

Sorry, I'm not a preacher and don't mean to preach but it is people like (the manager that wouldn't pay) that that give true Christians a bad wrap....

Dorian

I think Christopher's meaning behind his statement was in reference to the people that believe you are evil andor practicing evil by being a magician. They are out there, and it is a shame that they let their faith corrupt their judgement when it comes to magicians. I understood what he meant entirely.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
MAK was the only one who got the point!!!!!! Thanks Mak...nice to know that someone out there is listening! Let's not turn this into a debate on religion. That was NOT my intent by saying what I said!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 09:54, lylemagic wrote:
I don't think ANY OF US leave a restaurant of our own will. Usually a new Manager comes in and there ya go! This is why I ALWAYS have a signed contract. It's saved me on more than one occassion. They can tell me not tom come in to entertain...but they'll still pay me regardless.

Several years ago, I had to take a restaurant to court over this. Had played a gig for about 6 months, the place signed me on for another 6...a month later, they changed management, the new guy was a religious nut (man I hate those kind of people) and wanted nothing to do with me and refused to pay me. I took them to court, I won, he paid...and then a few months later the place shut down. I think it's a furniture store now.

Actually, I've left several restaurants of my own will. Better offers, a move that made the drive too long, or just plain getting tired of working the same place or burnout. Only one restaurant ever let me go, and that was due to a management change. One restaurant that was very successful (I worked there 4 nights a week) closed unexpectedly. I literally went to work one day and the next day I showed up and they were closed. Reason: They'd been selling beer and wine, but they hadn't purchased a liquor license! OOPS! Of course, I knew nothing about it, but apparently the local sheriff did!

Regarding the "religious nut" thing, I AM a preacher, but I understood what you meant, Christopher. Still, you might consider being a bit more careful in that regard in the future, as I can also see how others might have taken it the way they did.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Hmmm ... religious nuts never had considered my feelings when they have told me I am going to someplace rather hot. There are nuts on both sides of the coin I have met Fascist Atheist as well as religious nut jobs. When you see either of those people just turn 180 degrees and hit another table.

Thank god I am a Pantheist!!

Back to topic....

Restaurants with locked doors, Ones who strung me along for weeks then didn't pay .... famous lady too Melanie Safka 1960's folk singer owes me about $500 without interest. Thought about picketing her concert here in town.

"Melanie Skates out of the $500 she owes me!!"

Is there such a thing as bad publicity?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Hey Mark, ask Sen. Larry Craig about bad publicity.

I leave restaurants when I discover that they don't hire U.S. citizens to work the kitchen, or ask me to learn Spanish so I can communicate with their illegal staff. I'm patriotic that way.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mark try small claims court.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21262 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have left restaurants to move along in my career only.

I am quite spacific in places I do work, so I don't run into a lot of the locked doors out of business type of things.

The relationships I have are with the owners so I don't get turfed with new management anyhow. It is one reason I do it the way I do as I HATE looking for new places to work LOL.

It takes far more time to do it this way, but it is a lot better way to work if you ask me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 06:18, Stevethomas wrote:
I did get a 2-month break from one of the Pizza Huts where I've worked for over 10 years. New manager didn't think balloons/magic was worth the (not cheap) expense. He wanted to just let the young 'uns run wild in the party room and watch movies on the TV...he was going to go to go rent movies for 'em to watch (by the way, this type of public exhibition of copyrighted movies is forbidden and illegal!)...

The AGM (area general manager) got wind of that action, fired the guy and called me back in to entertain.

Steve

You should have quoted them a higher price to return Smile
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
My two usual reasons are:

1. Atmosphere tense after being fired.

2. Not enough room for me and my replacement.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 16:05, Jerrine wrote:
Hey Mark, ask Sen. Larry Craig about bad publicity.

I leave restaurants when I discover that they don't hire U.S. citizens to work the kitchen, or ask me to learn Spanish so I can communicate with their illegal staff. I'm patriotic that way.

You have been asked to learn Spanish to communicate with the staff? That's odd.

As to not hiring US citizens, you'd have a real hard time finding work here in CT. Is this specific to my area? I just always figured all restaurants had illegal immigrants in the kitchens, but then again I haven't been in many kitchens outside of my area...
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
TDK,

I probably could've done a higher price, but then they'd have to explain why they were paying more than the other 6 Pizza Hut restaurants I was working, too! At one time, I had 8 Huts to work. Most were Tuesday dinner buffets, but there were 3 where I did Sunday buffets and Friday nights, too. AND, this particular hut (with the EX-manager who liked VHS more than MAGIC) is right down the street from my house/studio..as in, probably less than 300 yards from here. Simple in/out, easy money.

Steve
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Ah - I see. You work for other stores in the company. That's a shame, as they otherwise would not have known how much you make and you could have rightly charged them more money than you would have had they not fired you in the first place...

Oh well, all is well that ends well. It must be nice having so many gigs with the same company, eh? Smile
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Restaurants, hotels or variete all the same.
This happens with all the professionals...is life
New Manager´s and all is change.
Is better if we get a contract.

Paulo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your reason for leaving a restaurant (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL