The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Teachers and Mentors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doctor_joe
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, CANADA
109 Posts

Profile of doctor_joe
The disappearance of bricks and mortar magic shops makes it more difficult to hang out with magicians. Especially in a city that is not a live entertainment magnet. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has taken the Chavez course in magic or attended Jeff McBride's school. I'd be curious to learn about your experiences with either of these learning environments.

Joe Finkler
Vancouver, CANADA
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi Joe,

I'm Nedim from Turkey. In lasy year in Fism2006 I had the Jeff McBrides Master Class. I think that was a gret class of magic. I learn many things. Not only tricks. I learned much more about phlosophy. I also will join the Extended Master Class in Vegas. I think you must have the course too. You can take your magic level up.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Ogre1234
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
92 Posts

Profile of Ogre1234
Magic clubs have always been a great place for magicians to get together and share. Aren't there any clubs in Vancouver?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Jeff's course is not for beginners, more for experienced magicians who want to get the most out of performing their magic. Chavez has been around a long time, owned by various individuals. Its correspondence course focuses on basic sleights and manipulation. If you don't live close by, the residence course would not be one for you. Try to find a magic club near you, try the IBM and SAM websites to find local rings and assemblies near where you live. You are much more likely to find a mentor that way. Self teaching start with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, also invest in a little book called "The Ostrich Factor" by Gerald Edmundson (his screen name on the Café is Gerald), it is a book every magician should own, teaches you a lot about how to practice effectively and organize your magic, then invest in some videos such as Michael Ammar's introductory videos on cards and coins, and books and videos such as Royal Road to Card Magic. Harry Lorayne's Magic Book is pretty good, but IMHO a bit advanced for a beginner. That should get you pretty well grounded in magic, then try to make it to a convention or two, such as the IBM/SAM combined convention next summer in Louisville, or World Magic Seminar held in the Spring in Las Vegas, or some local convention (We have one called Texas Association of Magicians here in Texas every year.) The lectures at conventions, and the fellowship of other magicians and all the teaching and coaching that goes on in the dealer room, hallways,and coffee shops makes any convention worth the investment. Plus you will make many contacts who will serve as a larger mentor base for you.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-09-27 13:24, Ogre1234 wrote:
Magic clubs have always been a great place for magicians to get together and share. Aren't there any clubs in Vancouver?

There's a great club in Vancouver, they even have matching fleece jackets with their club logo on the back and they are generally seen at local events traveling in packs. a great and friendly group.
They're having a Day of Magic in a couple of weeks up there as well. Look them up. It's cheaper than going to Mystery School.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicMichealMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
349 Posts

Profile of MagicMichealMan
I am saving money to attend the mc bride school....

The vancouver club is great!!!!!I belong to the victoria myi on vancouver island...

-mike-
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Dale Salwak- runs the Chavez School. It's a great program! If you're serious about learning manipulation; go to him- Chavez is excellent. Jeff is also a great teacher. Chavez is classical- Jeff is more contemporary. Both are highly educated in manipulation. Different styles of performing altogether. You can't go wrong with going to both.

If you are limited in your traveling; Chavez is also by correspondance as well. Personal instruction out in La Verne, California is the way to go though. Housing options- everything. Not an over the roof price either. But once again- if you're serious about it.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
I have just started with the Chavez School with the home study. I just can not afford to take the time away from my business and commuting across the country is just not an option. The correspondence course is very reasonable in price. You can submit videos of your work for critique. Well worth checking out.

I did attend a lecture and master class offered by Jeff McBride a few years ago. It was very educational and worth the time spent.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Today your best shots at professional help are conventions and lectures.

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
319 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Photius,
Thank you for mentioning and recommending The Ostrich Factor. Reviews by Mike Close in MAGIC, David Regal in GENII, MUM, THE LINKING RING and others can be found at:

http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/TOFReviews.htm

Thanks again!
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Teachers and Mentors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL