The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Impossible Ring in the Glass Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
1. An idea I have been mulling over is borrowing a ring, vanishing it and have it produced in a glass of water--an UPSIDE DOWN glass of water, which if lifted to retrieve the ring will cause the water to flow all over the table.

2. I've also been toying with an effect looking for a routine. I read this routine in a "sucker bar bet" site on the internet. The effect involves a sealed glass of water (or at least a glass of water) that is connected by a tube to another glass that has a candle in it. When the candle is lit and the "candle glass" is sealed, the candle burns out the oxygen in in the "candle jar". This reduces the atmospheric pressure in the
"candle jar" and causes the water to empty out of the other container, fill the "candle jar" with water and extinguishes the candle.

Somehow, I envision this in a bizzare mentalism effect. Any ideas?

I seem to remember from my high school chemistry class that a pure chemical element (I think it is phosphorus) is stable when in water but oxidizes when exposed to the air. What about having a piece of phosphorus in the "water glass" and have a hidden message or spectator ring wrapped in flash paper hung just above the water line. The water going into the "candle glass" extinguishes the candle, and the flame of the candle is
"transferred to the "water glass" ingniting the phosphorous--> igniting the flash paper and revealing the produced object in a strange voodoo-like effect. How about at a seance? A Holloween performance?

Again, any ideas?

Dropped on his head at birth,

"Wierd Otis" (aka Turk)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Turk,

Let me comment on one aspect of this: the use of phosphorus. You are correct that white phosphorus will ignite upon exposure to air. This makes it very difficult to handle and very dangerous. Burns produced by white phosphorus do not heal well. White phosphorus is also poisonous, as if it needed that on top of everything else. When white phosphorus burns, it produces a dense white smoke which, when mixed with water, is phosphoric acid. Since there is water in your eyes, nose, and throat, you don't want to get an eye- or snoot-ful of the smoke either.

You would probably not have any easy time getting your hands on any either. Phosphorus was used in the incendiary bombs that we used to burn Dresden in WWII. In the times in which we live, attempts to acquire white phosphorus by anyone except a Ph.D. in chemistry would be greeted with suspicion and would probably be unsuccessful.

On top of that, if you are handling this stuff for a magic effect, the need for safety will be in the front of your mind all the time. It will interfere with your ability to present your effect, because you will find it hard to give full concentration to your script and spectators, as you should.

Having said all this, I did once use white phosphorus for a bizarre magic effect. I was able to scribe symbols on a piece of parchment. After a few mystic words, the writing traced itself in flame, leaving a burnt trail where the writing had been. This uses a tiny amount of dissolved white phosphorus (not in water, obviously). Some people thought it was really cool, but it was an incredible amount of bother for something quite minor.

Your second effect reminded me of one of Dan Harlan's bar bets from his "Mindbogglers" tapes (the first one). If you like that sort of material, get that tape. It isn't bizarre, but anything can be framed differently.

Good luck, play safe, wow them with simpler things...

Yours,

Paul
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
drwilson,

I agree that the use of phosphorus can be VERY dangerous. I should have indicated that what I was looking for was a way to have the candle extinguished and then somehow (phosphorous was the only vehicle that came immediately to mind) have a fire ignite a piece of flash paper in which a ring (etc.) has been wrapped. And the other limitation is that this ignition cannot damage the spectator's ring.

What I'm trying to work on is the EFFECT and the only way I found to describe it is as above. As the topic thread indicated--think outside the box (grin).

I certainly appreciated your concerns with safety. I have the same concerns and agree that phosphorus is not an option.

Any other ideas as to how to achieve the effect of the "travelling flame" and revelation?

Thanks again,

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Turk,

Well, Fitzke in the Trick Brain reminds us that transpositions are combinations of vanishes and productions. So we have the problem of:

1) making a flame go out (lack of oxygen is an obvious way, but it will be obvious to the spectators also)

2) igniting a candle or other flame under your control.

Perhaps the fire magic people have a really good way of lighting a candle or producing a small flame under your control that can work under seance conditions. It is pretty easy to make a candle go out under these conditions.

As long as we are talking about seance or bizarre conditions, the flame can appear at an "altar", even a small one, the size of a card box. This is much simpler than having it appear in a glass, because you can build the gaff into the altar. When I say altar, this could be anything, an incense burner, a pentagram dish, a miniature skull, a hand, you name it.

Lighting the candle by chemical means is not ideal, so that leaves some sort of electrical igniter. These have gotten really small these days, again, ask the fire magic people.

Good luck!

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Impossible Ring in the Glass Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL