The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Erdnase Group (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hello Everyone

For the past few months I have been a member of a fantastic group dedicated to the learning and studying of the Erdnase text.

There have been passionate discussions about the history, applications, variations, the text, the effects and everything in between.

This is not your average group. Almost all the members own and have studied not just the original text, but also the supplementary text as well- Busby, Vernon, Ortiz, and others. They also all use the material when they perform- and it shows.

There are some great videos, essays, effects, and thoughts as well as daily ongoing discussions.

If you are interested in joining, head to the facebook web site.

Ben
p.s.
You will need to be a member but it only takes a moment to sign up. Look forward to seeing you there!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Ben.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
No problem Tommy.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
Do ya hear me knock'in. I'm at the door.

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
E. S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
Conway, Arkansas
28 Posts

Profile of E. S. Andrews
Thanks for the heads up on the group. Looks like a good one to try joining.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
It's been more difficult then I thought it would be.

I get about 30 people a week applying for entrance, and I send out a simple quiz (with questions like: what did the author state his primary motive for writing the book was, and what did Erdnase call his greatest achievement) and the majority of people don't even bother sending it back.

It's a shame really- so many magicians who claim to be card guys but haven't bothered to open a book called the bible of card workers...

It's like being a coin worker but without being interested in Bobo's, Roth's, or Kaufman's books...

Just nutsness.

On a high note, the level of guys in the group is fairly high and we've had some really interesting discussions on the DPS, seconds, the SW shift, as well as applications, performance tips for the card effects, and more.

It's one of those projects that won't really be happening though till we get a few more members (currently at just under 20). I could easily get the numbers up, but I'd rather have quality over quantity.

So, anyone interested should give me a shout! I would love to talk with all of you!
Ben

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I haven't applied to join. I don't have a facebook account. But I'd love to take the quiz.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Why not sign up for facebook? It takes ten seconds, and then your free to join the greatest magic group online! Then, once you've done that, join the Erdnase group!

Ben
p.s.
Vandy, I'll be happy to send you the quiz. Just don't leak it or I'll make you disappear like my cash at a book auction...

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Uh oh the erdnase group again.....didn't I just mention them somewhere...and no Nordatrax is not that kid.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 20:06, KingStardog wrote:
Uh oh the erdnase group again.....didn't I just mention them somewhere...and no Nordatrax is not that kid.

hmm?

I don't think I'm that kid, unless it's a good thing. I'm definitely curious as to what this means!

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Ahhh. I get it now.

I read your story- and no, it wasn't me. I hold the cards in a very natural way...

when I'm not cheating.

;)

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Not being that kid is probably a good thing for most folks.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I failed the test.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Sha!

No he didn't.

You missed the bonus question though- who was Erdnase? The answer I was looking for was Jay Marshal...

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Jay Marshall has 2 LL's. At least the Jay Marshall that I knew that was the owner of Magic Inc and the Dean of the Sam.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 12:43, Nordatrax wrote:
It's a shame really - so many magicians who claim to be card guys but haven't bothered to open a book called the bible of card workers...

Well, the vast majority of magicians and card workers are complete hacks, which I suppose isn't much different than any other profession. Most of them know more about Cris Angel and David Blaine than Vernon and Marlo (I was going to say Erdnase, but what do any of us really know about him anyway Smile).
Daniel M. Carrico
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Excuse me. What texts except Busby, Vernon and Ortiz your use?
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 10:20, Stepanov wrote:
Excuse me. What texts except Busby, Vernon and Ortiz your use?

Besides the above, I've read Erdnase (duh!), Graham, James, and Hoffman. There are others who have approached Erdnase material, but those are the notables.

Ben

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
May be I am not correct, but understand Erdnase without Gerritt Evans and August Rotterberg just impossible...

I am so apologize. Can I ask you and your group some of questions about Erdnase? Not difficult. Just for fun. If this is intresting for you? Like...

Who was first to show that on Three Card Monte possible keep cards by short side not long?

Who was first to use word Shift before Erdnase?

On what book first appear Mexican Tournover?

Which word on Erdnase has three different writings?

I am so apologize if my questions not interesting to your group. I tried connected to it and became member of Facebook, but I still do not understand what should be next step and what I get by adding myself to this group.
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Stepanov.

Of course feel free to ask questions. I like learning, and enjoy the challenge. Do you want me to answer here, or is it just for my amusement?

I will be honest- I don't have the Evan's book. It is on the way though (I found out less then a week ago that it had been reprinted). I have Rotterburg, and while it is clear to see that it influenced the book, I wouldn't say it is "impossible to study Erdnase without it".

It is a great book in it's own right though, and the Push-In change is a thing of beauty (that I still use today!)

Ben
p.s.
I wasn't sure what you wrote at the end. Have you applied? Sorry, it's late and I'm to tired to read properly!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Erdnase Group (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL