The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lance Burton vs. Jeff McBride (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

Profile of Nathan Hastings
I'd like to know the magic community's general opinion: Who has the better stage manipulation routine: Lance Burton with his dove routine or Jeff McBride's King of Cards routine?

I think they are definitely the two best manipulation routines I've ever seen, I watch them over and over and over again for inspiration, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And even though I'm asking everyone's preference and I have my own preference, I want to say that I appreciate them both for their originality, there personalities, and their supreme routining skills. Burton and McBride are both creative geniuses, and the outcome of this little poll will not change that.

Anyway, what's everyone's opinion?
"As my plastic surgeon always said: If you gotta go, go with a smile."

-the Joker
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I think the apples are way better than the oranges.

Best,

Tim
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
They are both different in their own ways.

Lets say this.

Jeff's card manipulation is better but lance is the master of doves.

Just my two cents.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Defintely aggree with Brandon. I haven't seen Lance live (shame on me after spending three years in Vegas) but when I saw Jeff, I knew that I wouldn't see an other magician manipulate cards as beautifully as he does for a long time,

Diane
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Each is equally good at what he does. Lance did win an IBM gold medal for his act years ago. But the reality is they are two different types of "hand magic" and you really can't compare them. Both are great manipulators, great magicians and great guys.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I agree with photius. I don't see how you could compare them either. I can say I had no idea how good McBride was until I saw him in person.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Right Jeff. You can't compare the two. Their bodies of work stand for each.

David W.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
"There can be only one."

Lance did more to inspire magicians not to give up on magic standards; which at the time trended many away from box magic.

Jeff's passion for manipulation and magic is right up there with Dai Vernon.

I think they're both terrific. Yet, if time were tight and I had to choose which one to buy a ticket see, I'd probably choose Lance's show.
POOF!
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I like dove magic, and don't do card manipulation, so of course I will watch Lance whenever I can. It's hard to choose between those two shows, they both fascinate me when I watch them perform. I want to watch them both and both are great performers.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I just appreciate excellence in routining and presentation, whether it's McBride, Burton, Cardini, Vernon, or any of the masters. Keeps me humble and working hard to improve my own routines and presentation.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Both are excellent and both deserve the recognition for their uniqueness. I wouldn't compare them at all. They are good in their own way.
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Just saw Lance's bird act live a couple of weeks ago. It was so flawless I almost cried. It made me remember why I want to be a pro.
-Matt
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

After giving it some thought and after watching both routines over again, I realized that you're all right, I can't justly compare them. They are both very different and are both at the top of their game, but their not really in the same genre.

Instead of comparing them, I guess it's better just to acknowledge their genius, eh?

-the Joker
daviddeltoro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of daviddeltoro
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 20:01, WagsterMagic wrote:
Jeff's card manipulation is better but lance is the master of doves.

Lance Burton is one of the best card manipulators all over the world, and not just simply cards as well fantasio candles, cigarrettes and of course doves. His mastery in the art of misdirection is supperb, he always charges when doing other thing and folls you badly, and doesn't move the body too much as he is a stand quiet performer. His act is purely magic.
Lance climax is card production in arc production, dove, and jumbo card production with another two doves. that's a climax!!
His show in las vegas is amazing and entertaining.

Jeff is a great manipulator but I can see his loads as well as he makes a lot of body moves, and I don't like that. Among this things his act is more acrobatic with cards than magical. What I remember of his act are the mask change and a lot of throwing cards. The climax of the act is not very strong (cards from the mouth???)

I respect Jeff McBride and I have learnt a lot from him but his vegas act is boring to my point of view. This is one of the magic shows that didn't hang me.

Quote:
On 2007-09-07 22:10, photius wrote:
Lance did win an IBM gold medal for his act years ago.

Lance wons the 1982 fism Grand Prix. No only the IBM.

David
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I also see it as mixing apples and oranges.

Lance did win awards, but don't forget guys McBride has won several awards too, including recognition by the Academy of Magical Arts, the Society of American Magicians, and the International Grand Prix of Magic as "Magician of the Year." He also broke the record for "Coin Rolling" the most coins with both hands.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
I think Lance runs a faster quarter mile but McBride has a better batting average. I don't think either could play Quarterback though.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
There was a line I once heard at a magic convention, Copperfield can never do wat I do, and I can Never do how he does it. Basically, they're both masters in their own right. Everyone's different.

MY 2c
daviddeltoro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of daviddeltoro
Quote:
On 2007-09-20 14:11, Dynamike wrote:
I also see it as mixing apples and oranges.

Lance did win awards, but don't forget guys McBride has won several awards too, including recognition by the Academy of Magical Arts, the Society of American Magicians, and the International Grand Prix of Magic as "Magician of the Year." He also broke the record for "Coin Rolling" the most coins with both hands.

I havent said that Mr Jeff is bad he is GREAT but since I remember there is only one master magician in the world... Mr Lance Burton! he received the legacy from Mr Lee Gravel. Anyway in don't believe too much in awards since I know many incredible magicians that are not going to competitions, I just wanted to point that probably his best title is the FISM Grand Prix if not the legacy of master magician.

The record of Coin Rolling is magic? I think that confirmes what I say, Mr Lance Burton is pure Magic, Mr Jeff McBride is different and IMHO sometimes loose the focus on the magic and become more a juggler than a magician. For me the sleight of hand is the most beautiful and practiced in my case. Im preparing for FISM 2009 and my sleight of hand is at the service of the magic. Mr Vernon said "the magic is the absence of movement". Have you seen Lance steling doves or producing the cards in Live? On video doesn count.

Im not interested in super coin rolls or the new wave of difficult cuts that no includes something in my magic. I have seen new guys performing De'vo or Dan and Daves cuts but when I make my signed card placed in order on sealed cardcase their nutts come down to the floor XD

Resume: Both are greats but what I was defending is that Mr Burton is as good in card manipulation as Jeff McBride and miles away from stealing and making magic.
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

I never looked at it that way, David. That's an interesting point of view.

-the Joker
osmar
View Profile
New user
Burke, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of osmar
Once again, hard to choose, but with a bleeding heart I would have to say that I like Lance's "elegant" APPROACH a little more...HOWEVER, we have to understand that Jeff's card manipulation is more complex......HE USES "REGULAR" PLAYING CARDS...(everyone else uses "manipulation" cards...even Lance)...and let's not get confused with the fact that he "adds" xcm moves, or jugling, to his card routine which is different than saying that that's all he does.....Jeff's act is about Energy...and God only knows how many years it took him to master that routine...(by the way...I still don't get how he makes those butterflies fly out of kicking one card!!)...Lance's act is about Grace, and let's be honest...producing real doves and making them fly around is easier and more visually pleasing than manipulating cards...(doves do help a lot)...but there is something about Lance, candle and doves that definately makes this routine "slightly" more charming.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lance Burton vs. Jeff McBride (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL