The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lance Burton vs. Jeff McBride (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Yes I agree. We can't compare them. They are very different magicians. Both are masters of magic but their styles and characters on stage are very different.

Lance Burton is a real master and a Grand Prix winner of FÝSM in 1982. He is the world champion.

Jeff McBride is a great card manipulator and a very energic man on stage. He as a different style from all other magicians. But for my opinion Jeff Mcbirde is better on teaching than performing magic. He has great Dvds and he has a great school of magic. He is a real teacher and entertainer.

So as I said you can't compare these two masters.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
I saw them both at It's Magic's 50th anniversary and it's a magic experience I'll never forget. Although quite different, both of their performance styles can't be beat.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Yes agree. They are both different.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Jeff really knows how to make easy tricks seem difficult, such as zombie floats and card from mouths.

Lance Burton is a living replica of the past masters, his act is glamorous, down to earth and sophisticated,without too much or if any strobe lights and laser shows like the rest of the vegas performers.

Jeff is a good mystifier and Lance is a good showman.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
They are both at the top. Each in his own peronal way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I know both styles Jeff and Lance. I prefer to compare the Lance of old when I knew him in the 80's. Classic and elegant. When it comes to rapid fire manipulation techniques and impossible moves, I would say that Jeff has him beat. Now, audience appeal is different from our perspective. Lance has a universal appeal, whereas Jeff is the Avante Garde which doesn't always sit well. Technical: I would give Jeff a 10 vrs Lance a 8 as far as execution.
Style: Lance (old) 10- jeff 8,
Versatility: Jeff wins
Audience appeal: Lance wins.
I hope they don't read this.
----------
Them vrs others: I want them on my team. Their combined mastery and knowledge is unsurpassed. Smile

I have seen Jeff do several difficult card techniques going from interlock to multiplying cards, to multiples and can change to any of them on command.
Lance has better focal point and audience misdirection. The control factor is perfect. The question was manipulation.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
As I said before. Jeff McBride is really a great teacher. I love his energy on stage and style. But Lance Burton is my star as a dove manipulator as well.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Wagmaster said it right.Lets not put apples and oranges toghether folks.It's like saying whos the best magician.Everyone is different adn does his own thing at least we hope so anyway.products that are advertized through media are easily
reconizable and therefore are good for us,those that are sold in discounts are worth a hoot,but by whoos standard if those products sold are popular in other countries. Same applies here. Nobody is better than nobody.
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Jeff has super technique that is way beyond Lance's,however,you NEVER see Lance's technique;you can't always say that with Jeff.An audience will walk away from Jeff's show amazed at his sleight of hand artistry,but they'll walk away from Lance's show amazed at his magic.I'll catch a lot of hate for this one,but I think Jeff over rated.My vote is for Lance.
Zion speaks......are you listening?
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
I what have so say Lance Burton cause his a great card manipulator and a master on dove manipulation.
and he is one of the few magicians that has his own theater, don't get me wrong I love McBride too, but Lance is also great illusionst and a close up magician.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
If either or both of them read this, I think they will still sleep well that night. Just the fact that they are a topic of discussion such as this is indicitive of their mastery.
Warlock1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Warlock1
This is a Dumb Post !

Houdini was the ORIGNAL King of cards.........

Lance Burtons work is in the Classic tradition .....VERY CLASSY

Jeffrey McBride work is K-os !! very Street !

Warlock1
nexile
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of nexile
Criss Angel Smile
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Lance Burton, but I'm personally gratefull to Jeff for his help,
Best,
Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Good question but the answer is simple. Lance Burton hands down. And yes gentlemen, we certainly can compare the two. I have spoken to McBride's good friend Eugene Burger about this. Burger feels as I do, that Burton's FISM act is one of the few greatest magic acts of all time. Period. Now let me say this. Jeff McBride is an expert manipulator, a wonderful performer, and a fantastic all round magician. Truly one of the greats. However, your question was which act is better, and although it's tough, there can only be one answer, and the answer is Lance Burton's Grand Prix winning gas light act set to Vivaldi's Spring from The Four Seasons.

Sincerely, Fish
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have to say Lance as well. But it is interesting to note that Lance has publicly given credit to Jeff McBride for helping him improve his act.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
One could do worse than accept advice from such an accomplished manipulator as McBride!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
McBride is a shaman. Burton is a classicist. Personally, I find McBride's presentation more compelling, and certainly more original!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
This is a silly question, so here's a silly answer. I love Lance's "good old boy" charm. So disarming. Go back and watch videos of him when he was younger. He was much more tense. Now it's as if this huge weight has been lifted off of his shoulders and he's just having fun, especially with his dove act.

I love Jeff's work too, but at times am a little put off by his whole mystic schtick. Sometimes, I just want to ask him, "Do you own a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt?"

But the majority of the posts have nailed it. They're both at the top in their own way.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Far from a silly question. I think it's a great question.

I've never understood how anyone who claims to be a magician can consider a question about the the masters " silly" . My passion for magic has been been burning for almost 25 years now and I still get excited at the opportunity to discuss the differences and similarities between the greats of our art. whether it be manip. or close- up or parlour...

It's a petty that some practitioners think it's silly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Lance Burton vs. Jeff McBride (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL