The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Death by Blockhead? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I cannot find any 20d brite common nails in my area anymore; Home Depot only carries galvanized these days (and I know that shyte is bad for you). At Loews I found coated sinkers. Obviously, they are coated, but I don't know anything about the coating material.

Anyone know if they're safe to use?

Thanks.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Means coated with zinc, slightly different method than galvanizing with zinc.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Just get a nips nail. I you've got one of mine. complete your collection!

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Yeah, I was planning on it--I just like the look on a volunteers face when you give her the used nail.

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Zinc is not my friend, though I can't speak for others. When I've used zinc-coated nails, for some reason I get cut more, the cuts usually become infected, hurt more, and taken longer to heal. I can't imagine using one for blockhead.

HD probably has bright nails, but their organization makes them hard to find. When they first went national, their service was great, their staff knowledgable, and the variety of stuff, made it possible to build anything. Now, you're lucky to find someone who even knows what a nail is, and all the cool little gadgets have gone, because they don't sell enough of them. The world has been made poorer by their presence.

Nipps makes great nails. Get one! Or two!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Stephon, don't know if it helps but I've also noticed (at least in my area), that Ace Hardware carries 20d bright commons in both smaller and bigger boxes, they usually don't have a huge amount of them, but they have them. Plus they're always running a ton of sales, so you can usually pick them up fairly cheap. Hope that helps and also, buy Nipps nails, I love both of the ones that I purchased off of him (a 20d and a 40d), but I do understand the desire to hand one out and get that wonderful audience reaction.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2007-09-08 09:33, Harley Newman wrote:
When they first went national, their service was great, their staff knowledgable, and the variety of stuff, made it possible to build anything. Now, you're lucky to find someone who even knows what a nail is, and all the cool little gadgets have gone, because they don't sell enough of them. The world has been made poorer by their presence.
Can't tell you the number of times I have shared that exact lamentation with someone.

jersey, thanks for the info. I will try Ace, as well as checking out the small-scale hardware stores in my area. And I definitely plan to get some Nip's Nails.

Lucked out this past weekend--I happened on five of my ususal nails; very rusty, but they cleaned up well enough to use.

Oh, and I bled for the very first time today from doing the blockhead. It wasn't the nail. It wasn't the glasses arm. It was the cigarette. (Shoulda known--it says right on the package that they're dangerous).

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Galvanizing with zinc is a form of rustproofing. If you think the sharp edges and nasty taste are bad, you should see what happens when you forge with it. When heated to forging temps (around 1200f and up) zinc goes through a chemical reaction that puts out deadly gasses. Best case scenario, you get flu like symptoms. Worst case, those symptoms end up killing you. This is not a joke, there have been many talented blacksmiths who have died from this type of exposure. Stephon (and all) if you really want to hand out used nails but also like the shine, take regular plain old common nails and have them polished. Best way to "do-it-yourself" is get a bench grinder with a cotton buffing wheel and some white rouge. Get the buffer at full speed, apply a small amount of rouge, then polish the whole surface of the nail. It will get hot fast, so if you have green fingers (what blacksmiths call people who haven't developed hard hands) you may want to wear gloves or hold the nail with a rag. When you're done with polishing your common nails, it's a good idea to wipe them down with mineral oil to prevent rusting (since the polishing process removed all the factory oiled surface). Or, if you don't have the time or space for a workshop, ask a local jeweler to do it, usually jewelers do small polishing for no fee but chances are you might have to pay a little something for their time.

Oh, and Stephon, in case you haven't heard, I make really nice stainless steel nails.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Nips, although I don't plan to use these coated sinkers I bought, I'm still curious--do you know if they are coated with zinc, or something else?

They are not the dull, silvery, "chunky" looking ones, but are coated in a yellowish, semi-transparent veneer.

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Oh, those are fine, it's a type of glue (according to my handy grandfather), these are the type I have used, until of course I got my Nippy Nail.

It comes off with rubbing alcohol.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Good to know. thanks. I tried cleanser and had no luck.

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
You may need to "buff" it off with the alcohol and a cotton towel. I've done that and it works well.

Brett.
Blog:
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL