The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Small, Battery-Powered Systems: Compare And Contrast (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Fender Amp Can
Carver Taxi
Paso WPCS50

Bonus Points:
Any comparable systems (battery-powered, self-contained are the two commonalities)
Any sales you stumbled across

Cheers!
------------

We could have been practicing!
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Toss in this one:
Pyle Pro PWMA
------------

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think you mean "Crate Taxi" or "Carvin StageMate".

There's also the "Crate Limo".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I like my MiPro. It's got the wireless receiver built in.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Just bought the Roland Micro Cube...because it was the only battery powered system for sale at the local Guitar Center, and if it sucks, I'll return it. Tested it at the store: sounded amazing for what it is.
------------

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have a Crate Limo amp, that I bought before they went to the plastic molded enclosures. Never had a problem with it and the features are great! I've yet to use it for shows where I can get the volume beyond the 4 mark - it's a loud, clear sounding amp. If I were to use it for larger crowds, I'd better get a good wireless mike, so that I can put even more distance between me and the amp. The speakers are rated for wattage levels much higher than the amp's peak power, so the sound will always be clear.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I just sold my Roland Micro Cube.
It does not have enough power. The Crate Taxi, that is sold in Guitar Center as well, is better. If they don't have in stock, you can get from their online store also Musicians Friend (same company) or Zzounds, Same Day Music (free shipping from the last two and no tax). Vox also has a amp a little bigger than the Micro Cube. But the Crate Taxi is great. $25 more than the Micro Cube.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Anchor "Explorer Pro". Built in rechargable system and 16-channel wireless mic receiver. Can't beat it.

Steve
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Fender Amp Can was terrible when I tested it. (That was several years ago so it might have been improved.) Paso WPCS50 is pretty good but it's a little pricey in my opinion. Carvin StageMate is a great deal but it's much bigger than the others. I have used a StageMate for about 3 or 4 years now.

Michael
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use the taxi but it is only 15W.
Great for a kids show with music.
Barely ok for a small outdoor show.

A crate Limo would be great for that and is very popular with outdoor shows.
Nice sound. See Al's comments above.

For any descent size show to a large show, the Carvin stageMate is the way to go.
With the ability to hook up a $150 second speaker you get the best of them all.

All off battery. A bit bigger than the Limo but the 2nd speaker option did it for me.

Michael Messing is right again.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
545 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
I like the Fender system.
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
I have a small Crate Taxi and a Fender P10W, the fender is far superior as a PA, but the crate is a nice monitor system.
AndyComic
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of AndyComic
The Paso has many writes up elsewhere on the MC but the main problem is it has a battery protector relay which turns the unit off when it falls below 10V which really kills a routine when it just cuts out. The only solution has been to add a bigger and or extra batt but as it is now, I don't give it my thumbs up.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-09-23 11:29, Aaron Isaacs wrote:
I have a small Crate Taxi and a Fender P10W, the fender is far superior as a PA, but the crate is a nice monitor system.

For the price of the P10, $490.00 it should be better.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
The Peavey Solo is a decent battery powered system. It has a low-z mic input as well as a 1/4 inch input for channel 1 and a 1/4 inch input for channel 2. It can run on AC, 8 D-Cell batteries or the rechargeable battery pack rom Peavey. I use it for small rooms and outdoor gigs with my Samson Stage 55 headset which also can be run on an 8 d-cell battery pack. Add two sets of rechargeable batteries for both and a charger, an RCA Lyra mp3 player for music and I have about $350 in the whole setup. So far it has been a good system for street fairs and living room birthday parties.

Sammy the Kid
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2007-09-23 13:34, AndyComic wrote: The Paso has many writes up elsewhere on the MC but the main problem is it has a battery protector relay which turns the unit off when it falls below 10V which really kills a routine when it just cuts out. The only solution has been to add a bigger and or extra batt but as it is now, I don't give it my thumbs up.

I have never had the problem that Andy describes, but I think it depends on how you plan to use the PASO system. It should run fine for at least 4-5 hours continuously on the battery that's supplied, IF it's fully charged to begin with and IF you don't also use it to power a CD or MP3 player. And that should be fine for most people, unless your full evening show runs longer than 4 hours. Smile

But if you need longer running time, it is possible to add a second internal battery, which is what I did. (I pitch Svengali decks and could be doing so for 7-8 hours at a time.) The fix is pretty easy, uses readily available Radio Shack parts, and costs less than $50. Click HERE for more information.

The only thing I might do differently if I did it again, would be to put each battery on a separate circuit, so I could charge each one separately and also switch from one to the other as needed, rather than hooking them up so that it's "one big battery" from an electrical point of view. This is also not difficult to do, it would just be a matter of using two single-pole switches instead of one (one for each circuit). Or if you wanted to get real fancy, just one 3-pole switch, but don't ask me how to wire it!

Otherwise, I have had very good experience with the PASO unit and feel it is a good value for someone who needs a small (20 pounds) wireless and rechargeable PA unit with moderate sound reinforcement capability. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Where did you pay $490 for a P10? The p10W goes for $330.00
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Small, Battery-Powered Systems: Compare And Contrast (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL