The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Trade Show Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
In November, I will be promoting my school science show at a convention of school science teachers. ( http://www.funnybones.com.au/badscience ) I've attended many tradeshows as a performer but in this situation I am selling myself and my product which is an entirely different kettle of fish. There is no 'salesman' to pass off customers on to. It's me!

My current plan is to have photos and props from the show on display and try and build one on one relationships with teachers rather than performing a show to a larger crowd. In order to get qualified leads, I will have a Bad Science Quiz which the teachers can win a prize by entering.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Sounds like a plan. The best way to sell anything is by building a personal relationship with your client and the best way to do that is "nose to nose, toes to toes."

If they like you, well, that's half the battle.

Good luck. Mark.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Nick -

What goal do you have for your tradeshow booth?

Is it to book shows on the spot, build a mailing list, or get general leads (anyone can go on my mailing list, and enter the contest), or get qualified leads (only those who hire shows for their schools can go on my mailing list, and enter my contest), or showcase your services, or ???

Do you have a goal of everyone on the list (in your contest) winning in some way, or just one person? What would each choice produce for you, in the way of results?

Knowing your outcome will help you create the right plan for yourself. Working backwards from the end-in-mind, as it were.

- Donald

P.S. I am not a tradeshow magician, nor have I ever played one on TV. Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
My goals are

a) To increase general awareness of the show
b) Collect names and contact details of qualified leads (without ignoring or neglecting others)
c) Build personal relationships with high school science teachers
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It sounds like you have it under control. Are you looking for advice, or just sharing?

Based on the high quality of your posts in the past, I thought it best to ask.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I love any advice people can give on setting up a stand, publicity material to have on hand and any tricks of the trade (show)
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
I would try and have a couple people there to assist you. In the end, you can only do so much. Companies hire magicians to draw in a crowd, and their salespeople will handle anybody who leaves your show to find more information. If you are performing, and people want more info or are in a hurry, you may be out of luck. By hiring a couple extra hands and training them in your company message, you are insuring that people have the opportunity to ask questions that they may not have answered if you are busy performing. Let me know if that makes sense. Otherwise, I'll try and explain myself better.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
724 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Treat it as if you were performing for one of your own corporate clients. Create a script about your company, product and what you have to offer and deliver it to the crowds. Wrap up the show by inviting the gathered crowd to fill out a lead sheet (maybe to win a special prize or a free show at their school) and hang around your booth to answer any questions. Depending on the crowd, I would deliver a 10-12 minute presentation no more than twice an hour. This will give you the needed time to answer specific questions. Having someone on hand to man the booth when you're on break or out to lunch makes sense. You will need a break from time to time.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Also, be prepared to talk about your other services. I just participated in the Alamo Area Library System's Vendor Fair, which was in essence a mini-tradeshow. So of course I was primarily promoting summer reading shows, but one librarian talked to me about working at her church's semi-renaissance fair and another librarian wants to have my holiday show this December.

You may well be asked about fairs, association bookings, who knows!

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Trade Show Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL